PDA

View Full Version : Someone help me understand why people like OFWGKTA (And their separate acts)

Maikky
02-21-2012, 05:06 PM
So I'm listening to some of their songs and a few things I notice .

1. Its more of talking over a beat then rhyming/rapping IMO .
2. It feels like this is the black (not to sound racist) version of rebellious stage for teenagers (Like white kids listening to death metal / satanic stuff to piss off there parents) .
3. Their songs have some common "raw" themes like those of death/black metal, its the kind of over the top stuff that seems gimmicky to me .
4. I get that their not really serious and just joking around and I can see how this is a drawn .

The only reason I can think people are attracted to them is because they are "controversial"

Just my opinion, no offense to people who like them .

People compare Childish Gambino to them but I can actually like CG .

Era 7
02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
people like WHAT?!?!

Maikky
02-21-2012, 05:28 PM
people like WHAT?!?!

Odd Future Wolf Forgot The Rest Of The .

Andrew B
02-21-2012, 05:48 PM
people like WHAT?!?!

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

aka Odd Future

Les Braun
02-21-2012, 06:14 PM
It's because they offer something relatively new and refreshing to the current rap scene with they're music. I can't say that I'm a fan of their music, but they definitely offer something unique and iconic with their whole movement.
I thought the YONKERS music video was a cool idea! They always find creative ways to present their music, but in the end their sounds aren't anything that I'd bump on my MP3-Player.

drumpusher
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Sounds like The Streets in ebonics.

Boomcie
02-21-2012, 08:39 PM
I like Frank Ocean and The Internet. Odd Future is nothing new, Horrorcore rap has been out for years(Necro, Gravediggaz). Why isn't this in the HipHop forum?

PONTUS.2
02-21-2012, 09:13 PM
ive accepted the fact that im 25 and they scare me.

not to sound lame but i bet if i was a kid i would jump on that trend =D. so as an adult its just kind of like sour grapes cuz in a way i feel like im "too old" for that shit.

my odd future was pretty much like slipknot etc lol.

as far as their music goes i found the album EARL to be pretty cool. Yonkers was cool.
not too fond of the other stuff they got.

DJ Boom Bap
02-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Man, their shit is far from new or controversial, rappers have been saying that shit, they are biters.

KoreyK
02-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't see too much difference between them and eminem or d12

Lazy O
02-22-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't see too much difference between them and eminem or d12
Exactly what I was thinking as I heard Yonkers for the first time(I just listened to it because of this thread)

rchecka
02-22-2012, 11:52 AM
So I'm listening to some of their songs and a few things I notice .

2. It feels like this is the black (not to sound racist) version of rebellious stage for teenagers (Like white kids listening to death metal / satanic stuff to piss off there parents) .

Isn't that what all rap is?

The only reason I can think people are attracted to them is because they are "controversial"

That's what they are selling.

Boom Bap is right, there's nothing groundbreaking about the message on that album, it's been done before, and it's been done much better too.
Does anyone who likes Hip Hop actually like that album? The only people that I have ever heard say they like that album don't typically like rap music. Tyler's followers aint heads.

KoreyK
02-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I like some of their records but can't say I like a whole album/mixtape

Frank Ocean is part of them he has a great voice

DJ HMS
02-25-2012, 10:06 AM
I actually loved Yonkers, i thought it had a really good flow, and paired with the music video was just a good overall artistic experience.

But, most of their stuff i get a little creeped out by. Alot of it is about stalking girls and being generally creepy. So i can respect that they are really good lyricists, but their subject matter for the most part turns me off to their music. Don't get me wrong i love hip-hop, everything from DJ Shadow to Eminem and Lil Wayne, but for me i just like the content of those artists over Tyler the Creator and his crew.

But really their just running off that "image" that their making for themselves, and thats fine. You gotta make money somehow

Sigma
02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I like a few of their tunes a lot. This one for example: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFNaFeIm4bU

And this one: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW4n9CLGzqM

A lot of so-called "heads" do seem to hate on them cos they're popular though.

DjDisArm
02-26-2012, 01:21 PM
cause i don't dig their style :shrug: haters gonna hate