PDA

View Full Version : How is this scratching/intro accomplished? (Hip Hop / frequently heard with radio DJ)

djhalfmoney
02-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi peeps, new here...

Basically I always here this on the radio, but I'm not sure how to reproduce this. Basically there is a track intro beat looping, then the DJ starts scratching the beginning of the same track's vocals over the beat and stops scratching right on time and the track proceeds like you would expect.

I guess it could be done with a instrumental track and a acapella of the same song, but getting it to drop perfect like that seems difficult, plus then you have no decks left to mix in the next song.

Any idea?

Thanks guys!

djpanda
02-02-2013, 11:23 PM
djs probably playing a track with intro on one deck and scratching an acapella on the other deck. not too difficult, just count the beats and stop scratching right when the first verse is about to start. as soon as the song starts on the first deck he loads a new one over the acapella deck.

djhalfmoney
02-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Make sense, thanks.

TheRabbitMonk
02-03-2013, 05:51 PM
could have a loop set on a cdj also. exit loop when your ready. same result

2o4
02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I too am interested how this is accomplished with straight vinyl...always have been curious

Sigma
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
With straight vinyl there's a couple of ways you'd do it, depending on the songs.

Sometimes a track has a fairly long intro, so you can just scratch vocals from the acapella/full version over the top of that until the first verse drops in. It's quick to set up cos you don't have to do any beatmatching. Just make sure both pitch sliders are in the same place and you're good to go.

Another way is to mix out of one song into the instrumental of another, then scratch the full version of that same track into the mix. That's good for songs that have short intros (so doing the option above would be very difficult/impossible), or where you want to do a longer bit of scratching.

The third way is to mix out of one song into the instrumental of another, then scratch the acapella of that same track into the mix, letting both play at the same time so it sounds like the full track is playing, then after the last verse/chorus, you would take the acapella out of the mix and as long as there's enough outro left on the instrumental, you'd still have time to mix/scratch in the next song. Another thing you can do is let both the acapella and instrumental play, then flip the acapella record over and scratch in the instrumental of the same track from the beginning/near the start, which gives you more time to mix in your next track.

Which you do really depends on how much empty space you have to work with.