PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Cables

dtdtank
01-30-2013, 08:25 PM
The current cables I have came in a set with the Mackie Thumps I bought. Needless to say, they're no-name, really crappy, budget cables. So to avoid all the crackling, popping, buzzing, and hissing I get I'm looking for a new set.

I just need two 25' cables to run from my mixer to my powered speakers. I read a bunch of stuff and found that EWI cables are about the best bang for the buck as I'm going to find. I just have a couple questions on them:

I found THIS SET (http://audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/SLMA/SLMA_cutsheet.shtml), but it says that they're XLR microphone cables. Does this mean they are not to be used for speakers? What is the difference?
On THIS PAGE (http://audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/Mic_Cables_2.shtml), what is the difference in quality among these sets? Am I okay with the Starlines (so long as the feedback to the above question says I can use them)?

Thank you!

DJzrule
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
An audio XLR is an audio XLR. They call them microphone cables because originally they were only used for microphones.

Coronaoperator
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
If you are using powered speakers then microphone (XLR) cables are excactly what you are looking for as you are just sending a signal to the built in amplifier on the powered speakers. Generally when we refer to speaker cables we are refering to the large gauge cabling going from a rack mounted power amplifier into a passive (non-powered) speaker.

For your second question the biggest differences in quality between sets of cables are the connectors and the cabling. Good cableing coils easily without breaking the wires inside and lays flat when on the ground (limp). Good quality cable also has a full braided shield and has thicker (lower gauge) wire. Good connectors say genuine neutrik on them. Some people are ok with switchcraft, I'm not one of them.

Take a look at all three lines of cables offered on that site. The first line has imitation connectors (read - bad strain relief) and they won't even show you what the strands look like inside the cable. They are hiding it for a reason - avoid. The second line offers neutrik connectors, shows you the wire and is probably the best bet on that site. The last line has redundant wires in case one breaks but probably adds unecessary cost, weight and is probably harder to coil.

The psmn line is what I would buy.

LiquidFusion
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
I have the LiveWire brand and so far so good. *knocks on wood*

avguy
01-30-2013, 11:36 PM
All of our mic cable is EWI, no problems except for the occasional Neutrik gasket incident.

jayhwk
02-05-2013, 06:34 AM
I use audiopile.net mic cables (with Neutrik connectors - that line is now called PSMN) and really like them. They're a solid, professional grade product.

I don't know where the "can't see what type of cable it is" is coming from - it is clearly listed that the first two (SLMA and MP-101) are EWI Starline and the third (PSMN) is the EWI Starline Premium. In the "Bulk Cable" section of the site you can see the insides of both cables. Also, if you have any questions, the guy who runs the site is great. His name is Mark - he contributes on the Harmony Central live sound forum and PSW.

DJ-Fades
02-05-2013, 07:37 AM
I have one set of EWI cables and they are great! I tend to get all my speaker cables built at my local pro audio store (ATC Audio in West springfield MA) all my cables are mostly field serviceable.And they back all their cables with a lifetime warranty.

monomer
02-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Another vote for EWI.

I've been abusing their star-quad cables (ewi ends, not neutrik) for about 5 years now. As a bonus, the dark blue cable doesn't really stand out and I can tell it's mine.

djscrizzle
02-10-2013, 12:10 AM
I like ProCo cables with either Switchcraft or Neutrik ends. Rapco also gets my vote. Both are tough cables. Mogami is great stuff, and rather pricey, but awesome for studio use. Gepco and Canare are great cables when you're making your own XLR and and TRS leads. Both are available as bulk cable.

DJ Nada
02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I like CBI cables. Made in New York.

BillESC
02-24-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm a CBI dealer and their quality is hard to beat.

Gerardamo
02-27-2013, 05:35 PM
www.monoprice.com