PDA

View Full Version : Best non-mac computer for DJ'ing, and or optimal settings

whiterob
02-21-2012, 01:13 PM
So I am in the market for a new computer. Currently have a core i-3 with 4gb ram in mine, so still suitable for most stuff. i am looking at an Alienware M14x or something like that. Do not want a Mac (have enough apple crap already, talk about overpaying for under powered stuff) You can build an Alienware that will KILL the best MBP out there, and even being Alienware it is still about half the cost.

My reason for not wanting Mac? I don't produce. I always strip everything down, and just run XP pro partitioned anyways for whatever DJ software I am running, so don't want to spend the extra $$ on something I won't be taking advantage of. (and not to mention I know from personal experience a couple dj software's that run way better on PC, but embarrassed to say I use them sometimes, so I wont)

Otherwise i may even go a cheaper route and just get an i7 dell, but unless somebody can give me a really good reason why a Mac is a better decision I am staying with PC. (and don't bring up the virus crap, this comp wont be surfing the internet or downloading anything on it, all my music is paid for, and since Apple started using Intel processors, they are just as susceptible to viruses as windows)

Jason Cerna
02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
on the old forums, nem0nic recommended these:

http://raincomputers.com/products/livebook/

it would be the only windows machine i'd ever consider buying.

whiterob
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
that thing looks decent.. not mind blowing but pretty damn decent.

nem0nic
02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
I still recommend the Livebook. That said, I've sold mine for a much smaller Alienware M11x that's been completely blown out. And my only problem with it is the USB3.0 Kontrol S4 issue that's been well documented on the NI forums. I have to plug my S4 into a specific port or it won't work. No problem, really.

Otherwise it's a monster.

Defiance
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
I have a pair of Lenevo Thinkpads. Got them separately for about 600 bucks total. Same models, one is a 2.2ghz Duo other is a 1.8 duo, both 4gb ram. They both have 4 usb ports, HDMI out, drains in the keyboard, strong hinges and hands down the best laptop keyboard. By no means are they perfect machines, but certainly are durable solid machines.

If you want to run XP btw, don't bother with quad core, its not supported and download "XP performance edition" most reliable OS and about have the space as XP pro.

Phil Noize
02-22-2012, 05:17 AM
on the old forums, nem0nic recommended these:

http://raincomputers.com/products/livebook/

it would be the only windows machine i'd ever consider buying.

It's spec looks decent, but it lacks the robustness of a Lenovo ThinkPad (IdeaPads and other Lenovo models are not the same).

Like Defiance, I'm rocking two ThinkPads, and they are great machines. Defiance didn't mention the magnesiun alloy chassis and shock mounted hard drives on these things.

whiterob
02-22-2012, 08:59 AM
I will definitely look into those more.. But upon taking a closer look at the livebooks, I really like them. Maybe I will at some point get into producing, and those look like they can handle it. I will also lookk at thinkpads, I have also read a lot of people rave about Acer's, but always thought those were just "cheap" laptops ,because I havent looked too much into them.

right now I am tossed up between:

Alienware M14x with the I7 dual core
Livebook
will look into thinkpads, or just a nice Dell Latitude

or maybe give in and be like the rest with a Mac... tough decision

For me, when I dj bars etc. where i take requests I use VDJ, and with my MSI on W7 (I3, 4gb ram, 7200 rpm HD) I hardly push the cpu, but I get lagging, and temporary freezing. I have tried just about everything to no avail. But figured I would get a new laptop for a tax writeoff, and because I currently don't have a backup one. (using an Audio 8, CDJ-400's, DJM-800 not midi so doesnt effect it)

punky
02-22-2012, 09:18 AM
It's spec looks decent, but it lacks the robustness of a Lenovo ThinkPad (IdeaPads and other Lenovo models are not the same).

Like Defiance, I'm rocking two ThinkPads, and they are great machines. Defiance didn't mention the magnesiun alloy chassis and shock mounted hard drives on these things.

Livebooks are made by Rain; Thinkpads and Ideapads are made by Lenovo. They're two different companies. Rain computers are made specifically for audio.

For the record, I have an y560p Ideapad, and I'm very happy with it.

I wouldn't mess with Dell if you're going to use an S4. The USB 3.0 ports are shitting the bed with my friend's S4.

punky
02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
For me, when I dj bars etc. where i take requests I use VDJ, and with my MSI on W7 (I3, 4gb ram, 7200 rpm HD) I hardly push the cpu, but I get lagging, and temporary freezing. I have tried just about everything to no avail. But figured I would get a new laptop for a tax writeoff, and because I currently don't have a backup one. (using an Audio 8, CDJ-400's, DJM-800 not midi so doesnt effect it)

Have you tried disabling the ACPI driver? That can sometimes be the culprit.

Phil Noize
02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
These might be useful ...

For Win 7 ... http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/847/Windows+7+Tuning+Tips+for+audio+processing

For Vista ... http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/354/Windows+Vista+Tuning+Tips+for+audio+processing

For XP ... http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/343/Windows+XP+Tuning+Tips+for+audio+processing

:tup:

Defiance
02-22-2012, 11:28 AM

I'm not certain mine have those, as I have the cheap cousin, the SL line. The T61s (Same price as the SLs) I looked at didn't have HDMI output. Occasionally I run some visuals and its nice to not have additional adapters in the equation.

But between what Phil Noize and I pointed out, you won't find another single laptop with all of those features.

whiterob
02-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the useful info.. rep is coming your guys' way if I haven't gotten you yet. (really the only way to show appreciation around here)