PDA

View Full Version : Pro dub licence?

baldyb220
02-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi guys just wondering if someone could clear a few things up for me.

For those who use laptop djing do you download your tracks direct from places like beatport or traxsource or amazon etc and if you play live do you need any licence apart from the venue being able to play music there?

Also I have a lot of old vinyl that I would like to obviously convert to mp3 and use but I'm sure this means that I have to pay for the produb licence?

If someone could help me on this and give us some advice as to what the majority of people do here so I can see whats best.

I currently use a Numark mixtrack pro after having technics and a djm600 as I wanted to buy something cheap to see if I liked crossing over to laptop djing. I do enjoy it but am wondering whether to just get a pair of denon 5000's but then I have to copy mp3's to cd and again I'm sure I have to get the licence to do this.

:eek:

evil-c
02-21-2012, 12:33 PM
hi mate, the produb licence is only needed if you are copying songs from one format to another, so if you get all your stuff from beatport etc, and play out from the same laptop you bought them on, then a produb licence isnt needed (obviously the venue needs a prs/ppl licence ) however, to copy your old stuff and perform with it be it to cd or just to your laptop, you'll need one. tbh, its all bull really, i've had prs comedown to my res and all the guy was interested in was the songs played ( after showing him my history from the gig he was more than happy as his work was done for him. i emailed it to him .lol ) i personally would love to see some one come down and try and stop my gig and go through my id3 tags to see if i was within the law. i doubt he'd walk out of there leaving a club in silence ;)