PDA

View Full Version : General headphones

daveyb
01-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Hia every1. Looking for a bit of feedback and advice. I've done some research on these forums and on the internet. I'm looking at buying a new set of headphones. Price range is £200ish max. I want to use the headphones for djing but also for listen to music on laptop and i pod. Just wondering if the pro range dj headphones would still have the sound quality for listen to music in general. To be honest I just can't decide what to go for. Sound quality is priority before any brand name.
Thanks for your time

Daveyb

ewe
01-28-2013, 04:41 AM
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=SEHD251IIB
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=SEHD25II

HD25s are the best headphones ive had the pleasure of using (they stick to your head nicely), 132 pounds in that second link and you can probably find them for cheaper if you look hard.

daveyb
01-28-2013, 04:48 AM
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=SEHD251IIB
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=SEHD25II

HD25s are the best headphones ive had the pleasure of using (they stick to your head nicely), 132 pounds in that second link and you can probably find them for cheaper if you look hard.

Cheers mate. I'll take a look now

LiquidFusion
01-28-2013, 04:49 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HDJ-500R-DJ-Headphones-Red/dp/B0047QTLVC

Windows 95
01-28-2013, 04:58 AM
Price range is £200ish max.That's a pretty nice price range.
I would say any headphones you buy in that price range is going to more than enough sound quality for listening to music on a laptop & an iPod.

The only exception would be, if you like a pair of headphones that exaggerates the bass for DJing & a pair of headphones that's flat (Accurately reproduces audio.) for listening to music on your laptop & iPod.
In which case you're better off buying two separate cheaper headphones.

ewe
01-28-2013, 05:01 AM
HD25s are good for both imo, I would have recommended some Pioneer cans but the two pairs I had previously broke

Windows 95
01-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Myself personally, I wouldn't want to use a pair of Sennheiser HD25 headphones with an iPod unless I had no other option. Especially since I wear glasses, because these headphones are pretty uncomfortable if you wear glasses.

Since they are not in ear or over the ear, they aren't very comfortable when you're walking or jogging.

ewe
01-28-2013, 05:19 AM
Yeah they are quite tight, I can imagine that being uncomfortable with glasses on

daveyb
01-28-2013, 05:22 AM
The brands I've been looking at are pioneer, Sony and senheieser (excuse the spelling) I don't want to end up buying a pair and they spoil the sound of listen to general music. Obviously the pro range are for djing and the bass is going to be chunky. None of the shops around here sell these high end headphones so I can go and try. Thanks for the feedback so far.

xs2man
01-28-2013, 05:36 AM
Another vote for the HD's.

I have a pair of them for DJ'ing, and another for ipod listening.

Windows 95
01-28-2013, 05:48 AM
None of the shops around here sell these high end headphones so I can go and try.That definitely puts you in a worst case scenario. Buying speakers or headphones, sound unheard, is never a good idea.

An example from my own experience.
Comparing the two similarly priced speakers from JBL & Yamaha. The vast majority of people prefer the Yamaha S115V Club Series V over the JBL JRX115. But doing a side by side check @ Guitar Center, I liked the sound of the JRX a lot more than the S115V. Since I wouldn't be using a subwoofer, to me the S115V's bass sounded too soft. And the highs on the S115V were too bright.

I ended up not getting either one. I got the next model up from JBL, the MPro MP215.

iammongo
01-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Not trying to sway your decision at all but the problem with the Pioneer headphones was that the hinges used to be plastic. The hinges on the HDJ-2000's are now made of metal. These are the cans that i use and they sound great.
I would not recommend extended listening sessions with them though as they tend to get uncomfortable after about a half hour.

123xyz
01-28-2013, 06:01 AM
I use Sennheiser HD202 for mixing and listening to music all day.The sound quality is pretty good,really punchy,but in the same time,very well balanced mids and highs.My first pair broke after 2 years of use (the cabel got screwed),and i went and got a second pair.Pretty comfortable on the head too.And they are cheap too.In your price range,you could get something a lot better than this,but when i was looking for headphones i was on a tight budget so i ended up with this pair.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000065BP9

ewe
01-28-2013, 06:04 AM
I use Sennheiser HD202 for mixing and listening to music all day.The sound quality is pretty good,really punchy,but in the same time,very well balanced mids and highs.My first pair broke after 2 years of use (the cabel got screwed),and i went and got a second pair.Pretty comfortable on the head too.And they are cheap too.In your price range,you could get something a lot better than this,but when i was looking for headphones i was on a tight budget so i ended up with this pair.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000065BP9
Sennheiser are usually quite good with having spares in stock, with the HD25s anyway, you could have probably found a new wire for cheap.

DJ Remax
01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Ive tried so many headphones over the past few years. hdj 1000's, 2000's. high end sonys. Ive recently fell in love with the V-moda's. Sound is awesome and they are insanly comfortable and light. Check em out.

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B00A39PPDK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359384605&sr=1-2&keywords=v-moda

pete
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Get HD25s for Djing as there is little better than them and they won't break.
Get some Allesandro Ms1i headphones for listening because they are nice.
Should fall just within budget and you'll have some nice cans for both jobs.
DJing headphones and listening headphones are 2 different things. You wouldn't ask for a 4x4 with Ferrari performance, would you?

djphader
01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
I have two pairs of headphones right now, the first are my old set that I now use at work, American Audio HP 700 Professional High-Powered Headphones. For a pair of headphones that were like $75 I can't complain; Great sound, easy to move around and comfortable, Plus they look like the High End Pioneer cans. The current headphones the numark red wave, they are ok, I just really liked how they lookedhttp://www.amazon.com/Numark-RED-WAVE-DJ-Headphones/dp/B004M13GA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359387235&sr=8-1&keywords=numark+red+wave

daveyb
01-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Once the little one is in bed tonight I'll be having another look on the net. I'm not going to rush into buying but liking the idea of 2 separate headphones. One for djing and one for iPod listing. What kind of split out of 200 quid. 50/50 or 75/25 in favour of dj? Thanks again

xs2man
01-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Whatever the HD25's cost, then whatever is left for the hifi headphones. Done.

purex like soap
01-28-2013, 10:28 AM
one more vote for the hd-25s. ive had mine for over three years without a flaw or complaint.

Windows 95
01-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Whatever the HD25's cost, then whatever is left for the hifi headphones. Done.:tup:

Baller95
01-28-2013, 10:57 AM
The HD25's, they got lots of bass?

Windows 95
01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
The HD25's, they got lots of bass?No they do not emphasize the base, they are fairly flat (i.e. accurate) headphones.

Marc S
01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
No they do not emphasize the base, they are flat headphones.

they are not flat, far from it, but you are correct in that they do not emphasise the bass, compared to most "dj headphones" they are pretty un bassy.

they are very proffessional headphones those, and far superior to "dj headphones" like pioneers, shure, sony etc.

for just listening? you cant go far wrong with these, they sound amazing, and cost very little, side by side they sound better than most headphones under £200 that i've tried.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419X6ZYBF6L._AA300_.jpg

one thing to note is that using large drivers on big headphones with your ipod/phone etc is going to drain your battery a lot more than using good quality buds or headphones with a smaller driver, when i wear my HD25's my battery goes down twice as fast as when i use my sennheiser buds and noticably faster than when i use my koss.

Windows 95
01-28-2013, 11:22 AM
they are not flat, far from it, but you are correct in that they do not emphasise the bass, compared to most "DJ headphones" they are pretty un bassy.Yeah I notice the lower mids are probably too strong. But I think despite how inaccurate they are, most people would classify them as being in the flat class of headphones & not in the bassy class of headphones.

The headphones you have pictured look to me like they are probably Hi-Fi headphones instead of DJ or studio headphones.

Baller95
01-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Ahh ok thanks for the clarification. Something like the HDJ-2000's have more bass then?

Windows 95
01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Ahh ok thanks for the clarification. Something like the HDJ-2000's have more bass then?Yes, those headphones emphasize the bass. So they are in the bassy class of DJ headphones.

daveyb
01-28-2013, 12:05 PM
they are not flat, far from it, but you are correct in that they do not emphasise the bass, compared to most "dj headphones" they are pretty un bassy.

they are very proffessional headphones those, and far superior to "dj headphones" like pioneers, shure, sony etc.

for just listening? you cant go far wrong with these, they sound amazing, and cost very little, side by side they sound better than most headphones under £200 that i've tried.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419X6ZYBF6L._AA300_.jpg

one thing to note is that using large drivers on big headphones with your ipod/phone etc is going to drain your battery a lot more than using good quality buds or headphones with a smaller driver, when i wear my HD25's my battery goes down twice as fast as when i use my sennheiser buds and noticably faster than when i use my koss.

Great bit of advice. Didn't take this into consideration.

Marc S
02-01-2013, 03:56 PM
The headphones you have pictured look to me like they are probably Hi-Fi headphones instead of DJ or studio headphones.

yeah, hifi/portable audio, but i think thats what he wants, rather than dj/professional ones in this case.

HD25 are imo the best professional headphones you can use for djing, and by a huge margin.

akswun
02-02-2013, 12:23 AM
I would like to suggest the Aiaiai line of headphones.
I own the TMA-1 Studios and the Capitals.
I use the TMA1's for djing as they are too big for general portability like commuting or running or whatever. They are pricey but considering your budget it does fit. There are no hinges on these headphones and thus no points where it can snap or break. I've heard of issues with the cord not locking to the headphones properly on the original TMA1's, but have yet to have any issues with my Studios.
I use the Capitals for commuting, they are smaller and much more portable and fold up neatly. I've had the capitals for about 8months now and since I got my TMA1s for xmas I've handed them down to my girlfriend who uses them daily. Nothing has broken and they sound decent. And on the plus they have an iPhone/ipod control/mic on the cord.

Sound quality is subjective, you're going to just have to try out as many as you can and decide for yourself. Some headphones emphasize the bass, but if you love hiphop like me its something you kind of look for. Not that the TMA1s or Capitals are bass heavy. My old pair of Sony MDRV7's were bassy but I loved them and have them for back up, but they have hinges and its made of that type of plastic that cracks.

daveyb
02-03-2013, 04:04 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. After it being a decision between the pioneer 2000 h d j and the senheiser hd25 I went for the 25s. I'll get myself some decent buds then from the left over money for my I pod. Thanks again. Daveyb

Phil Noize
02-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Good choice!! :tup:

pete
02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Nice choice on the HD25s. You'll probably never again have to buy another pair of DJ cans, so its a solid investment.
As for good sounding cheap buds, look for soundMAGIC earbuds. I highly recommend them.

DJAkash
02-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Pioneer HDJ 1500 K (black) cheaper
Pioneer HDJ 2000 k (black) more expensive

In the U.S I know you can get the 2000's for 225 approx, the 1500s are cheaper.
both are some of the most balanced accurate and good sounding headphones ive heard, I have heard good about the HD's but personally I have used the HDJs and they are my favorite now.