PDA

View Full Version : House production - Looking for feedback :)

franksij
02-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Hello everyone! It's nice to see this forum has gotten a face-lift! Here's a piece I finished yesterday. I'm relatively new to producing dance music; I've always adored it suffice to say I've been a hip hop dj for the last 5 years. I really enjoy the route new dance is taking and I've decided I'd like to try the production aspect of it in addition to playing it.

http://soundcloud.com/frank-sij/kaduceus-frank-sij

Any and all feedback is appreciated since I'd like to improve (as we all do) and If you like it enough, download it straight from sound cloud!

Thanks all!

elctromn
02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Sounds good, but could use some more dynamics. The build has a good synth lick, but I think if you add more layers it would sound better. Also, when you have a break from the first drop back to the build synth, add some white noise in the background and it will sound like a more fluid transition because the noise difference will be much smaller.

As far as mixing goes, what db is it maxing at before you eq/compress/limit the track? That could be why it seems to not have much dynamics.

Other than that, it sounds really good. I like it a lot.

franksij
02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
thank you very much for the feedback elctromn! see, the entire mix I think is below 0 dB and when I was trying to EQ the song, I went by what sounded clear and was afraid to make things sound too wide or distorted. If you think the white noise will help I'm gonna try adding it in. It's difficult to make the song sound very full and dynamic like you said without getting too messy and that's what I'm trying to figure out now. I never thought of adding noise to be honest haha

elctromn
02-21-2012, 07:33 PM
When mixing your track, you should typically be trying to keep the entire mix capping between -6 and -12db, the quieter the better. When you master the track, your compression will bring it up to 0db for your limiter to squash. The quieter your original mix is, the more dynamic it will be - making it sound better.

When you add white noise, try putting a high pass filter on it, that way it won't take up as much low frequency and muddy up your track. Also, if you want to sweep into those spots I mentioned, all you need to do is mess around with filters and white noise, maybe with an LFO messing with the panning to make it smoother. Reverb on white noise also will make it take up more space, but don't overuse it.

franksij
02-22-2012, 08:07 AM
it's amazing what slight adjustments in volume/EQ can make it really is the deal sealer! you've been very generous by sharing your knowledge and hope I can receive similar feedback from the rest. Other criticisms I've received thus far are that it seems a little too repetitive and that the first drop is a little too abrupt, although I was aiming for that feel. I'm happy to hear it all though. I'm also finding it difficult to break away from the "trancey" feel which I didn't think would be as hard as it sounds