PDA

View Full Version : Who can't get off the DJ sleep schedule??

DjFloMatic
02-21-2012, 02:10 AM
Guess this mostly applies to club/bar DJs who work the late nights but who can't get off that late sleep schedule even after the weekend??

I was always sort of a nightowl but after I started DJing in the clubs I have gotten way worse with the late nights especially because the clubs I work don't close until 3am!

I usually do Thurs-Saturday but even after the weekend I don't find myself falling a sleep until 3-4am even if I need to be up early.

I've tried a couple sleeping pills but became to tolerant to quick so they didn't last long...

Any of you guys struggle to keep a regular sleep schedule?

Ignotus
02-21-2012, 02:11 AM
this is a main reason i do work a night job, but i agree with you 100%, its very hard for me to try and have a morning life

Jason Cerna
02-21-2012, 02:16 AM
i'm usually up around 3-5am before i try to get to sleep. just a regular thing for me i guess.

DJNR
02-21-2012, 02:18 AM
My sleep schedule is so wonky because of school. I wish I could stay up until or 3 or 5 every day, but I have class at 7:30am sometimes T___T

Manu
02-21-2012, 02:21 AM

I gave up and get some sleep when I can. Usually wake up early but can go late if necessary. Never did pills as I don't need addictive chemicals, they just make it worse as you can't sleep if you don't get it. See MJ and his sleeping "milk" as an extreme example of that.

On the other hand I'm lucky to have inherited my grand dad sleeping needs which are just a few hours. Power naps work too.

DjFloMatic
02-21-2012, 02:48 AM
Power naps work too.

Yes I love the mid-day power naps lol

mostapha
02-21-2012, 03:34 AM
I'm diagnosed with insomnia. Technically, I think it's non-24 sleep-wake syndrome, but that's harder/expensive to get a concrete diagnosis for…and the treatment is the same.

I've always been like this to some degree, but it's gotten a lot worse over the past couple years.

It really sucks.

My doctor wont give me more Ambien because I made the mistake of telling him that it made me hallucinate a couple times.

BTW, Ambien trips suck because they're so vivid and realistic that you can't really tell whether or not you're hallucinating. At one point, I was honestly terrified that I'd fallen off a specific[i] 37th story balcony in midtown until, while falling, I noticed the roads weren't quite right. So, I just relaxed and let it happen. I hit the ground and sat bolt-upright in my bed…and wound up with huge scratches on my chest because my cat was sleeping there.

If you've never come that close to dying in a dream/hallucination, I envy you. Still…tripping once or twice a month is worth not having to deal with this shit.

Unfortunately, nothing else works…and he wants me to take benzos, which I'm not willing to do. I've gone to work on zero sleep more times than I can count…and tomorrow (today) is going to be another one of those.

The only thing that works for me is living on a 28 hour day.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/28_hour_day.png

Doing that, things (mostly) just work…but I haven't been able to hold it for more than about 2 weeks, and that was while I was "funemployed". It was the most productive and least stressful 2-weeks I've had in [i]years. I just can't find a job that works with it.

drop1
02-21-2012, 03:49 AM
I feel ya. It's almost 4 am now and I have to start getting ready for work at 5.30. The bad part is this will go on for a couple of days before my body shuts its self down. I hate it.

DjFloMatic
02-21-2012, 03:50 AM
BTW, Ambien trips suck because they're so vivid and realistic that you can't really tell whether or not you're hallucinating. At one point, I was honestly terrified that I'd fallen off a [i]specific[i] 37th story balcony in midtown until, while falling, I noticed the roads weren't quite right. So, I just relaxed and let it happen. I hit the ground and sat bolt-upright in my bed…and wound up with huge scratches on my chest because my cat was sleeping there.

If you've never come that close to dying in a dream/hallucination, I envy you. Still…tripping once or twice a month is worth not having to deal with this shit.

:eek: woah and i thought shrooms were crazy....

Gjhowe1
02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Im in college so i don't sleep regardless. Up till 2am then class at 8am every day, I just survive on coke, coffee and anything else that contains energy. Catch up on sleep on the weekend.

Somedj
02-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Takes me a couple days to get back on track after the weekend. Sux, but I think its kind of part of the game we play.

Grifff
02-21-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm in uni atm and I usually stay up 'til about 3 or 4 most nights; I can't get work done at all during the day, I find it infinitely easier to study or right up my dissertation at like 2 in the morning

DJ ATX
02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Guess this mostly applies to club/bar DJs who work the late nights but who can't get off that late sleep schedule even after the weekend??

I was always sort of a nightowl but after I started DJing in the clubs I have gotten way worse with the late nights especially because the clubs I work don't close until 3am!

I usually do Thurs-Saturday but even after the weekend I don't find myself falling a sleep until 3-4am even if I need to be up early.

I've tried a couple sleeping pills but became to tolerant to quick so they didn't last long...

I do. I work a day job. Friday nights really kill me. I wake up Friday morning to go to work around 5AM. Work till 4PM. Home by 5PM. I normally try to take an hour nap. After that eat dinner, shower, check my gear and maybe download something last minute. Be at the club by 9:30 and start jammin by 10:00PM. I don't get home till 3AM and probably can't sleep till 4AM. So that is nearly 20hours being up. If I am on Sat again, its not such a big deal.

Come Mon morning, I am dragging. My body finally adjusts by Weds., but then I again I do it again. Thank goodness for 5hr energies.

de.j.l
02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
8pm-8am night shift for the next 5 days... id say im just a night person more then a day person..
and

so does my skin.

RaphaelJohn
02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
I know the feeling guys. I work a day job and my schedule is all sorts of F'd up. Here it goes:
Day Job/DJing
Monday: Work 1P-7P / Off
Tuesday: Work 7A-3P / DJ 10P-3A
Wednesday: Work 1P-7P / DJ 10P-3A
Thursday: Work 7A-3A / Off
Friday: Work 7A-1P / 10P-3A
Saturday: Off / 10P-3A
Sunday: Off / 7P-10P (starting soon)

I hate Wednesday going onto to Thursday. I'm so burnt out by those days lol

silentsounds
02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I usually stay away from any sort of caffeine through the work week and Sundays in particular. Sunday morning or afternoon I usually push myself to exercise/workout a little more than I usually do so that I can tire myself. I wake up at 6am everyday and tend to get back from work by 6:30pm.