PDA

View Full Version : New networkable Active speaker line from Behringer

drzinc
01-24-2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/01/23/wnamm13-behringer-launches-iq-series-networked-loudspeakers-/?utm_source=more_news&utm_medium=storiesbox&utm_campaign=more_stories

http://www.behringer.com/assets/iQ15_P0APM_Left_XL.png

http://www.sonicftp.com/news/images/behringer_iqseries.jpg

Evil Steve
01-24-2013, 08:14 PM
I looked at the article.
Quoted from it:
Pricing and Availability:
TBC

Don't know what TBC means, but if past practice is anything to go by, it's probably more Vaporware.
If it had said TBD, I would have known it meant To Be Delayed. That seems to be company policy.
Better to announce products that are going to change the world, than actually produce them.
When they actually start to ship them, and when someone can prove they don't spontaneously combust, I'll take a listen.
If it works as advertised, it could be a good product.

jayhwk
01-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Wow, that could be interesting.

I've used Renkus-Heinz's Rhaon networked speakers with great success - I think it's the future of sound reinforcement. Being able to plug in the power cable and run a network cable to a switch somewhere is incredible.

DJzrule
01-24-2013, 11:22 PM
It says the drivers in this series are designed by Turbosound?

jayhwk
01-25-2013, 12:17 AM
It says the drivers in this series are designed by Turbosound?

Behringer now owns Turbosound.

"Drivers Designed by Turbosound" sounds a lot like it means "All Turbosound Products Now Designed By Behringer" rather than being a positive thing.

jejope
01-25-2013, 12:56 AM
I looked at the article.
Quoted from it:
TBC

Don't know what TBC means, but if past practice is anything to go by, it's probably more Vaporware.
If it had said TBD, I would have known it meant To Be Delayed. That seems to be company policy.
Better to announce products that are going to change the world, than actually produce them.
When they actually start to ship them, and when someone can prove they don't spontaneously combust, I'll take a listen.

It means "to be confirmed"....

ampnation
01-25-2013, 02:27 AM
I looked at the article.
Quoted from it:
TBC

the x32 took a while to come to market after initial teaser details but not only is it out now, so is the compantion digital snake and now 4 new x32 mixers have been announced, 2 of them rackmount units including a 1u unit. It sounds like the 1u unit contains all the central brains of the full sized x32 and you could, if you wanted to, connect a digital snake and control the whole thing with an iPad. Not that I'd want to. Layers is bad enough -- combine that with a touch screen only interface smaller than a piece of notebook paper, and it sounds frustrating. I'm pretty sure if I were at NAMM, I'd be at the Behringer booth asking all sorts of questions and chatting up DJF DJs during breaks of their sets. I don't think I heard who they went with.

Anyway, this offering looks interesting.

Al Poulin
01-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Certainly the sexiest Behringer speakers I've seen. That big yellow Behringer logo has always been an eyesore for me. These look really nice...

drzinc
01-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Certainly the sexiest Behringer speakers I've seen. That big yellow Behringer logo has always been an eyesore for me. These look really nice...

Looking forward to some test from you Al.....

GaFFLe
01-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I agree but according to some folks, you shouldn't care about the looks... Only worry about the sound. :rolleyes:

Al Poulin
01-25-2013, 11:27 AM
I agree but according to some folks, you shouldn't care about the looks... Only worry about the sound. :rolleyes:

Both sound quality and looks are important, especially at some events. Look at how many people are impressed by a Bose logo even before actually hearing the speakers... A good example are my RCF Art 310As. I love them because of the performance they are capable of - especially given their miniscule proportions BUT I would love them even more if they looked like the D line cabs. I usually will choose my DXRs or NX55Ps instead of the RCFs for weddings because of the Art's looks that are either love it or hate it.

Al

Incognito
01-25-2013, 11:33 AM
according to some folks, you shouldn't care about the looks... Only worry about the sound. :rolleyes:

You're twisting words, what was said to you was not to be fooled by the looks of a speaker to think it sounds good....

DJzrule
01-25-2013, 11:48 AM
You're twisting words, what was said to you was not to be fooled by the looks of a speaker to think it sounds good....

What he said. Behringer used to make butt-ugly cabinets with a huge nuclear waste-esque looking badge on the front. They weren't appealing visually or acoustically. Now they're stepping up their game BIG time.

light-o-matic
01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Looks like Behringer has spies in EV. Anyway, the real question is.. how well do they work, and how long will they last? Behringer has been trying to play with the grown ups for a while now but they've always come up short. I saw the X32 in GC.. it was something like $3500 bux and while that is cheaper than many (but not all), it's still big boy territory. It's one thing to risk 150 bux on a compressor or crossover from a company known for (and proud of) their cheap-ass products, and have it be good in some ways and crappy in others.. then break a few years later. Quite another to buy a console for $3500 and have it be a bit crappy.

Evil Steve
01-25-2013, 08:48 PM

GaFFLe, I love it! So true.
Problem is, when it sounds like shit and looks butt ugly, there's just no way to win.
It's like missing the goal, but looking really good while you do it... or Bose.

The_Wedding_DJ
01-25-2013, 09:39 PM
If I were the marketing director I would change the name to something like BGR and raise the price $100 lol.

GaFFLe
01-26-2013, 12:42 AM
If I were the marketing director I would change the name to something like BGR and raise the price $100 lol.

Lol...that would work in their case.

GaFFLe
01-26-2013, 12:55 AM

Actually, that's not what was said to me and I wasn't twisting any words because I didn't quote anyone... I simply paraphrased. I've been dealing with PA long enough to not judge them by looks alone. My own equipment speaks to that. [thread topic]

Incognito
01-26-2013, 05:07 AM
Actually, that's not what was said to me and I wasn't twisting any words because I didn't quote anyone... I simply paraphrased. I've been dealing with PA long enough to not judge them by looks alone. My own equipment speaks to that. [thread topic]

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?20090-Cerwin-Vega-P-series-powered-speakers-about-time

Also you're the first one to mention about looks (as well as how loud the specs say they are) on just about every thread that comes up on speakers or comparing them ****** back to DJF 1.0. I even clearly remember you picking the Daneley TH-118 sub over the Orbit Shifter when you said you was comparing between them because the Daneley looked better with it's full grill & the it was said to go louder. I even remember you picking the EV ZXa5 tops you have over another because of the same two reasons so you've been judging speakers based on looks for awhile & anyone who's been around here already knows that. That's your thing OK fine, at one point or another we all made judgments based on the same basis but I know for a fact many times I have said to you in particular not to make judments based just on how a speaker looks & so have others.

GaFFLe
01-26-2013, 09:40 AM
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?20090-Cerwin-Vega-P-series-powered-speakers-about-time

Also you're the first one to mention about looks (as well as how loud the specs say they are) on just about every thread that comes up on speakers or comparing them ****** back to DJF 1.0. I even clearly remember you picking the Daneley TH-118 sub over the Orbit Shifter when you said you was comparing between them because the Daneley looked better with it's full grill & the it was said to go louder. I even remember you picking the EV ZXa5 tops you have over another because of the same two reasons so you've been judging speakers based on looks for awhile & anyone who's been around here already knows that. That's your thing OK fine, at one point or another we all made judgments based on the same basis

Dude... so what?!?! When a speaker introduction is made, the first thing you see is looks. The next immediate thing that comes to my mind is 'I wonder how they'll sound and perform'... it's as simple as that. I won't buy a high performing speaker if I think it looks are sub par, case in point FBT, but if they can have both: high performance and excellent looks, then I'm all in, case in point ex: EV ZX, QSC, Yamaha, some JBL or RCF. This choice goes hand-in-hand for me and conversely, I won't choose a pretty speaker if it doesn't perform well.

When you go car shopping, do you care how the car looks? When you're home shopping, do you care about how it looks? When you're choosing fruit in a supermarket, the look of it plays a role in your purchase decision. If you say no, you're lying. In reference to the Danley TH-118 vs. Orbit Shifter, I've seen other sound pros in Prosoundweb and Soundforums.net also frown on the OS because it looked too "DJ" and unfinished. Two years and an extra 20 lbs. later, they finally look complete. They didn't say it did not perform well, they just did not like the looks at the time.

...but I know for a fact many times I have said to you in particular not to make judments based just on how a speaker looks & so have others.
This is a forum and I can make any statement I want, as can you. I'm not solely making purchasing judgements "just on how a speaker looks". If a speaker performs well, great, but if on the other hand it's obtrusive looking, I'll post my opinion about it and that's that. Stop trying to regulate, this is a forum with opinions from around the world. Not everyone thinks like Incognito... Forum Police are played out.

Incognito
01-26-2013, 02:18 PM
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/316/4/1/oh__did_i_hit_a_nerve__by_amberspirit-d4g06dx.jpg

DJ Higgumz
01-26-2013, 03:48 PM
I'll get the popcorn

GaFFLe
01-27-2013, 07:17 AM
I'll get the popcorn
LoL, No need... dude's a pest and thinks he's crafty. I'm done with that conversation.

Incognito
01-27-2013, 07:19 AM
You sure are done when you proved my point, you say you never dismiss a speaker due to looks alone. Yet you bring up the topic of the FBT where the only reason you dismissed it was looks alone.... (it was also the basis of my original comment so it was funny when you bought it up instead of me).

GaFFLe
01-27-2013, 07:21 AM
You sure are done when you proved my point, you say you never dismiss a speaker due to looks alone. Yet you bring up the topic of the FBT where the only reason you dismissed it was looks alone....

http://i50.tinypic.com/34yrbr8.jpg

Incognito
01-27-2013, 10:56 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/34yrbr8.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-h5K3O_pTDJU/TuVVVJre4oI/AAAAAAAAFiw/ENG10ZnHxk4/s400/mission_accomplished.gif

DJ Higgumz
01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
U guys are so cute

akela
01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
OK...I hope you guys have finished flirting with each other.

Back to topic. Yeah. RJ45 cable as a means of linking up the speakers, like they do digital snakes now, will be very welcome...at least for me!!

light-o-matic
01-29-2013, 10:34 PM
I dunno.. they look nicer than the old ones, but unless they sound better and are less easily breakable than the old ones it doesn't mean a lot.
Behringer is famous for cramming a ton of features into things and making it seem like their stuff is up there with the big boys but it never is.

Pardon me if I don't believe the hype, from a company that has a long history of "just ok" products.

ands
02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
A possible price for IQ series?

GaFFLe
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
One thing I've always noticed about Behringer powered speakers... they seem heavy as heck! Their Mackie 450 clone/competitor as well as their recent Mackie Thump 12" clone (Yes, Behringers has made a cheaper Thump). I picked that sucker up and was like, damn, this things a brick!

Cris1605
02-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Gosh, these things are like QSC K series clones! From the front to the back to the sides! We'll see how they stack up

DJNR
02-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Gosh, these things are like QSC K series clones! From the front to the back to the sides! We'll see how they stack up

Yeah that was my first impression too. I hope they sound as good as they look.