PDA

View Full Version : Medium format live desk...Help to choose...

VikingRSA
01-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Hey guys

I need to choose between these 4 desks:

Soundcraft EPM12
Soundcraft MPMi12
Samson L1200
Yamaha MG-166C

I have worked with all 3 brands and have yet to have any major issues with any of them but I have no clue as to which one I must get. All except the EPM12 are the same price but with different specs.

I need a desk for a annual school 'Idols' comp so only 4 mics, 1 or 2 instruments, 2 CD players, DVD for projector and a laptop (backup for back tracks and DVD's).

Please help...

Buszaj
01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
I'd stick with Soundcraft, personally. Another board I'd recommend is the Presonus Studio Live series. It's a digital board.

punky
01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
I'd go with the Soundcrafts, yeah.

DJzrule
01-31-2013, 04:38 PM
I love SoundCrafts but I've personally fallen for the Presonus LIVE series boards.

Personally, I'd rather run a digital board, because in the pro-sound world, you should be running a compression chain on vocals + reverb and/or any other effects (auto-tune comes to mind), especially if you're doing bands, you absolutely need compression on percussion and instruments.

If you go with an analog board, pick up a decent FX processor for the vocals to add some depth and reverb.

Brandt Slater
01-31-2013, 05:45 PM
First, what is your budget?

Go digital. Everything's built in. With analog, you'd have to buy external processing.