PDA

View Full Version : Deal on SOOW 12-3 power cable

ampnation
01-22-2013, 11:34 PM
So far this is the best price I've seen and it was at a national chain so thought I would share.

At Home Depot tonight I see they sell SOOW 12-3 cable for $1.40 per foot, but way up high on the shelf, they are selling 100 foot spools for $101. For my purposes, with not just DJ use, but also live sound, I'll probably end up buying a couple of spools and making 4 - 50 foot cables minimum. I might make some 25 foot too though, not sure yet, but definitely I'll be buying at least a couple spools. Then I'll be looking to sell my trunk full of orange, yellow, and red, lower graded, prefab extension cords.

Does anyone here think there's a better screw-on connector than Pass & Seymour? If so what?

(mods, if you think this belongs in the Deals thread instead, feel free to move it, but I think it isn't purely deal information :shrug: )

allensmusic
01-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Price it at an electrical supply store. they are usually cheaper than the department stores.

ampnation
01-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Will do before buying for sure. I know this is lower than wire and cable online which is the cheapest I found online though, which is why I mentioned it. I'd be thrilled to find it cheaper.

allensmusic
01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
I cant remember where I got it in Stockton when I was there. usually Platt electric is pricy. maybe try Alameda Electric Supply, they have a Modesto location.
just to brag a bit, I recently drive to the Modesto area to buy a nice used 115 foot soow 4 wire 2 gauge cord. it was a mere $450

ampnation
01-23-2013, 01:30 AM
I cant remember where I got it in Stockton when I was there. usually Platt electric is pricy. maybe try Alameda Electric Supply, they have a Modesto location.
just to brag a bit, I recently drive to the Modesto area to buy a nice used 115 foot soow 4 wire 2 gauge cord. it was a mere $450

WTH did you need 2 gauge for? An Ion Propulsion engine?

allensmusic
01-23-2013, 01:40 AM
that lets me tie in to a box into a 100 amp single phase 240v breaker. then on the other end I have a breaker box that has ten 20 amp breakers on two circuits. This is plenty of power for my sound system. I was doing a gig with a star wars theme and around a thousand people, including a few from Lucas films. I wanted a rich full sound. the breaker box was 100 foot away from where my amplifiers needed to be.

and your killing my post count here....

EDIT: I just noticed we signed up the same month....

ampnation
01-23-2013, 02:03 AM
We need to get together and throw a couple of brews back so this jibber jabber doesn't mess with that precious post count LOL

allensmusic
01-23-2013, 02:26 AM
I will be heading down past Fresno in 6 or 8 weeks, unless your itching for a trip to Chico

djbonsu
01-28-2013, 12:08 PM
that lets me tie in to a box into a 100 amp single phase 240v breaker. then on the other end I have a breaker box that has ten 20 amp breakers on two circuits. This is plenty of power for my sound system. I was doing a gig with a star wars theme and around a thousand people, including a few from Lucas films. I wanted a rich full sound. the breaker box was 100 foot away from where my amplifiers needed to be.

and your killing my post count here....

EDIT: I just noticed we signed up the same month....

any details on your distro setup? pics? nice find on the 2/4 cable!!

allensmusic
01-28-2013, 12:39 PM

I didnt take any pictures, and I need to make it nicer. I put it together in a rush. I had already booked the event, and they originally planned to have my setup near the circuit breaker boxes, then they moved the layout. I put a temporary box on it.
The cable is awesome. it is 2 or 3 inches in diameter, very flexible considering the size and I can lay it on the ground in the rain and let people walk on it or drive on it. it is the same stuff they use in carnivals to run the rides and stuff.

I cant move it by myself, it takes at least two people. I need to get or build a box to transport the wire. right now it is coiled up in my enclosed trailer.

Brandt Slater
01-28-2013, 05:38 PM

These are good portable boxes if you're looking for something premade.

http://www.lexproducts.com/cs/entertainment_product_line;jsessionid=ash52IIrzzBf llnHdY?market=Entertainment&productLineId=21

These are nice too.

http://www.motionlabs.com/

@Ampnation.

I prefer Hubbell connectors with Leviton as my second option. Pass and Seymour connectors are good though.

avguy
01-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Lex Products is the best, Made In America.

sss18734
01-30-2013, 11:51 PM
WTH did you need 2 gauge for? An Ion Propulsion engine?

I had two 0-gauge runs of wire in my car two years ago for the audio system ;)

djscrizzle
01-31-2013, 11:48 PM
I've handled 4/0 type W cable before. It's the type used between single-pole 1016-type Camlock connectors. That type of cable is good up to approx 400 amperes. Now THAT is serious power. It also weighs a pound per foot for each conductor. 3 phase, 5-wire banded feeder is around 5.5 lbs/ft. Very heavy!