PDA

View Full Version : Who spins/records on strictly vinyl?

M.C. Rhizz
02-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Just out of curiosity who spins and records their mixes just on vinyl?

I have been trying to mix on just vinyl with about 60 records and it is truly difficult. I can't see someone using vinyl and recording it with out any later production these days. I guess is what I am trying to ask is what do you guys do when recording on vinyl as far as post production goes? Or do you use any other equipment in tandem in order to achieve a much more deeper sound to your mix.

Jason Cerna
02-20-2012, 06:36 PM
when i recorded my older vinyl mixes, i used to go as hot as possible into my audio interface at the time, an m-audio firewire 410. the only thing i did after the mix was recorded was to tidy up the levels in wavelab.

the best thing you can do before doing an all vinyl mix is to wet clean your records.

Dantron
02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm 100% vinyl. Studio, live, for fun, all of it. I don't see why you'd need any post production for an all vinyl mix. Maybe try cleaning your records?

DJ Elroy
02-20-2012, 07:38 PM
I used to do all vinyl and have made dozens of mixes. A little post-recording cleanup was all I needed, the sound was great. Probably better than a lot of the stuff nowadays.

Sure, there were little pops and clicks, and maybe some hisses, but I think it added to the mix somehow. It wasn't distracting at all.

Raindance Rob
02-20-2012, 08:42 PM

I have been trying to mix on just vinyl with about 60 records and it is truly difficult. I can't see someone using vinyl and recording it with out any later production these days. I guess is what I am trying to ask is what do you guys do when recording on vinyl as far as post production goes? Or do you use any other equipment in tandem in order to achieve a much more deeper sound to your mix.

i only use vinyl & acetates/dubplates, iv tried CDJs & software etc but wasnt for me

mostapha
02-21-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't do it anymore mostly because of cost, but I've recorded all-vinyl sets, even before I really knew what I was doing. Set your levels right and you're golden…then just normalize the headroom out.

In some ways, it's easier than recording a DVS/CDJ set because vinyl noise is a lot louder than the noise floor of modern mixers and sounds better (if you can actually hear noise floor, that is).

Subprime
02-21-2012, 05:54 AM
Never had a problem (apart from the cost).

Mahatma Coat
02-21-2012, 07:49 AM
I only use vinyl for the time being, never had a problem with it.

I keep the records clean, and whilst there is the occasional pop and click, I think it adds character to the sound.

Ferryman
02-21-2012, 08:33 AM
If I can record a mix in just vinyl, I will. Depends on my funds, though.

Estacy
02-21-2012, 08:50 AM
I spin vinyl only, love it!

Kid Cassette
02-21-2012, 08:53 AM
I only use vinyl. Although I intend on buying a CDJ just to see what they are like, and to play some tunes I do not have on vinyl (and is not available). I love the deep warm sound vinyl gives. I can tell a vinyl mix straight away. I am all for progression and new technology but for me personally vinyl sounds better and is more nrewarding to mix with than CD'S. I'm sure may will disagree but I'm vinyl junky.

PONTUS.2
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
i used to just make mixes and if there was a slight mistake id just leave it in....

cuz maw fuckaz is raw like that :zany:

no but i dont spin vinyl strictly because i want to... wouldnt mind getting serato :love:

M.C. Rhizz
02-21-2012, 09:27 PM
i used to just make mixes and if there was a slight mistake id just leave it in....

cuz maw fuckaz is raw like that :zany:

HAHA! FOR SURE, I like the ideas.

I wasn't having a problem with my levels; it was more the Bpms and training the ears. I'll have to read up on that as there are a lot of threads here on the subject. Stay true my fellow vinyl heads.:banana:

BuddyUK
02-21-2012, 09:56 PM
I think there a lot of cultural reasons as much as financial why UK guys tend to support vinyl so often as compared to their US counterparts, as for the flamewar let's not go there AGAIN, before all this DVS/midi controller/software bollocks we had the endless CD vs Vinyl 'debates'
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/bud1uk/beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

BuddyUK
02-21-2012, 10:00 PM

Usually need to amplify the recording for encoding to MP3 BECAUSE MP3'S HAVE TO BE AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE ALL THE TIME apparently, but apart from that no, just like hitting record on a cassette in the old days.

monomer
02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
All vinyl here.

I have/used Xwax a few times. Not the same. Nothing beats going out shopping and getting dusty diggin through crates.

BuddyUK
02-22-2012, 12:44 AM
totally agree, also you can't beat that 'we've got loads of records out the back you can look through' experience

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/bud1uk/FEELGOODCAT.jpg

Dj_4-$hure
02-22-2012, 01:04 AM
^ What's sup with you and every comment about U.S. Leave it alone Buddy!

BuddyUK
02-22-2012, 01:29 AM
^ What's sup with you and every comment about U.S. Leave it alone Buddy!

I would never mock your fine country sir, how dare you slander me so!

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/bud1uk/ScientificAmerican.jpg

Dj_4-$hure
02-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Not everyone here is fat MAN! Do all you people got fucked up teeth! And next time put a pic of our Army, Marines, Navy, Air force....Yeah you can't fucks with the U.S. BUDDY!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ph8V052fCNE/TFIEy6_vJ4I/AAAAAAAAJcg/KEBq5-dA798/s1600/powersteeth.jpg

andypandy
02-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Not everyone here is fat MAN! Do all you people got fucked up teeth! And next time put a pic of our Army, Marines, Navy, Air force....Yeah you can't fucks with the U.S. BUDDY!

You can't fuck with the SAS brooooooooo!

Going into vinyl only, love the sound, the rough feel to it and digging through crates. A whole different experience and way to do it than looking around for tracks online. I love the smell of vinyl.

jazzyj
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
I just got offered 700 vinyls from 60s-00s from the family. Some still in shrink wrap. Are you vinyl DJs more apt to offer x amount for the lot or would you demand to pick n choose single LPs?

dubgiant
02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
I still collect vinyl but no longer spin with them. Sadly I can't afford it and most of the music I collect on vinyl are hip hop while I mostly spin progressive house/trance.

Badger
02-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I just got offered 700 vinyls from 60s-00s from the family. Some still in shrink wrap. Are you vinyl DJs more apt to offer x amount for the lot or would you demand to pick n choose single LPs?

I'd be more likely to pick and choose different pieces. There's no way that I could buy another 700 records; I have neither the money, nor the room.

As for the main topic of the thread: I'm not a strictly-vinyl DJ, but I will occasionally do sets on my Mixcloud (http://www.mixcloud.com/djbadger) account which are strictly mixed with vinyl.

When I do DJ performances at venues, I like to try to use as much vinyl as possible, using CDs only when I can't obtain a particular track on vinyl. If I can do an all-vinyl set, then I will.

I never use laptops or MIDI controllers to perform the mixing, though I have used a laptop to record my sets.

I will sometimes go in after-the-fact to tweak the volume levels if I feel that a mix was a little uneven, and I will VERY rarely fix a mixing error in post-production if the error was atrocious. Plus, I add in the DJ drops in post-production to discourage other DJs from copying the mixsets and attempting to pawn them off as their own.

I think the reason I continue to hang on to the vinyl tradition is best described on this page of my site, which essentially restates an essay-like post of mine from DJF 1.0.:

"The Tragedy of the Digital DJ." (http://www.djbadger.com/badgerjournal136.htm)

:badger:

mr.smashy
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Badger, what's the deal with Krispy Kremes? Seriously, what's up with them?

Mahatma Coat
02-23-2012, 04:26 AM
I think the reason I continue to hang on to the vinyl tradition is best described on this page of my site, which essentially restates an essay-like post of mine from DJF 1.0.:

"The Tragedy of the Digital DJ."

Just read this, agree 100%.

Nice to see you back Badger.

Badger
02-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Badger, what's the deal with Krispy Kremes? Seriously, what's up with them?

This almost made me laugh out loud. I'm quite amazed that anyone would go that far back (http://www.djbadger.com/badgerjournal002.htm) through my online journal... Thank you!

Just read this, agree 100%.

Nice to see you back Badger.

Thank you very much, Mahatma. I appreciate it.

:badger:

monkeystyle
02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
When I spin reggae/dancehall its all vinyl (unless the place doesn't have turntables).

Mark_Spit
02-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Technically I'm 98% vinyl. I have a DN-S3500 and about 40 CD's but whenever I play I completely forget I have them and end up doing an all vinyl set. For me, I find DJ'ing with records much more accessable - grab the record from the crate, choose the side and track (if it's a 12" single - super easy) and drop the needle (cue it up).

CD's kind of go like this: Find the CD, insert the CD into the player, wait for the CD to load, look at the back of the jewel case for the track number (if you're not too familiar with the CD), scroll through the menu to your desired track, then cue it up.

This is my experience anyway and most likely the reason I still primarily play with vinyl. I do hear a DVS is much better though.