PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl cuing issues

Shepherd
02-20-2012, 05:50 PM
I've been working on my cuing with vinyl and I'm getting it down pretty well though I having a couple of issues with a handful of records. When I get ready to laying the next track with the beat, the needle jumps out. This doesn't happen on all of my records, just these ones. I've tried letting it play a few bars and starting from there, but the same thing happens. I've tried switching in a new needle, same thing, it's not a heavy hand and it's not a skating issue. :blank:

Is it a bad pressing and the grooves aren't deep enough? Is it a tone arm weight issue or what? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon

Hausgeist
02-20-2012, 06:34 PM
I am not sure what the issue is, but when you find the cue, don't rock it. When it comes time to drop the track, just let go of the record.

Boomcie
02-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Are the records warped?

Jason Cerna
02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
some records just do that. i used to notice it more on the whitelabels i used to get where they used really light weight vinyl. most of the heavier records never had that problem.

Shepherd
02-20-2012, 09:48 PM
1) I'll work on it.:tup:
2) nope
3) mine seems to be fairly standard vinyl, they don't feel cheaply made.

Thanks for the response.

Mahatma Coat
02-23-2012, 03:09 AM
It can happen man, its weird.

It can be the record, it can be the needle, I think sometimes it can even just be the time of day.

When I'm having repeated problems with it I drop the record on the second bar, rather than the first. Of course the record I'm mixing in to also has to be on the second bar, you know what I mean?

So it's normally like:
1234 1234 1234
****1234 1234

However with the skip its like:
1234 1234 1234
*****234 1234

Hope this helps!

DJ ATX
02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Sometimes its just how to grooves of the records are set that cause your needle to skip. Just gotta work around it like a few have posted already.

Any chance of getting another of the same record and seeing if it happens with it. It would be nice to have the same record anyways so you can do some effects like flanging, double beating or making your own loops. :)

DeeJayTex
02-23-2012, 01:13 PM
many issues cause this Warped records being one, the platter holes being too loose are another. use little piece of tape or something in the hole to make them tighter and they wont cause the needle to jump

Manu
02-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Happens from time to time. The techniques to work around that have already been covered. Rocking back and forth for ages is a stupid mistake though, you wear your cue out tenfold.

Shepherd
02-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Thank guys, It turned out I just needed a little more weight on the tone arm. Though good to know about the warped records.

Manu - Yeah, still learning some of this and I've been told not to rock it to death, so I've been working on just trying to find the beat I need and making sure the pitch is close and then drop. Usually, I'll only need to make minor pitch/platter adjustments to line it up. Thanks again.

Manu
02-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Don't sweat it, it's just a matter of picking up the right habits, the rest works itself out :tup: