PDA

View Full Version : Traktor Related Question

silentsounds
02-01-2012, 07:35 PM
So after close to a year of not being able to DJ (No gear since my move to the States), I finally picked up a Kontrol X1 for use with Traktor Pro.

I'm running just that with the software. I have it mapped to use it as a mixer for the time being.

Setting my laptop's sound card as the master channel, I'm able to hear that properly as I mix in my headphones. However, I don't have any cueing going for me at the moment. I'm guessing I need a separate sound card for that and unfortunately, one of the proprietary NI interfaces at that.

Am I right in thinking the above, or is there another way to get this to work without dropping a ton of money?

When I used VDJ, I could use a pair of USB headphones which served as its own sound card and allowed me to cue properly. I've tried that with Traktor, but I get errors which is what lead me to believe proprietary hardware will most likely be a requirement in this situation.

The Audio 2 looks like it will be the right combo of what I'm looking for. I'm very used to mixing in headphones due to noise level restrictions in previous residences so is there a way to accomplish that with this setup or will an external mixer be required for that?

drumpusher
02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
To cue you'll need a dual channel audio interface, no way around it. As to what Traktor supports I couldn't tell you. :shrug:

silentsounds
02-01-2012, 07:45 PM
To cue you'll need a dual channel audio interface, no way around it. As to what Traktor supports I couldn't tell you. :shrug:

Yeah, I figured. The Audio 2 looks like the best bet.

Any input for the second question regarding mixing solely using headphones? Using something like the Audio 2 that has two stereo outputs, I'd have to keep switching between headphones to listen to my cue and master. Or is there some sort of a split cue option?

The more I think about it, I realize a mixer will solve all my problems, lol.

JonAvalon
02-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Just use the master cue/mix knob in traktor if you really need to mix in headphones.

silentsounds
02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Just use the master cue/mix knob in traktor

I feel like a complete idiot saying this, but I can't seem to find one. I see a button for each deck that engages the cue/monitor for it, but no knobs. Using the mixer layout in Traktor Pro 2.

JonAvalon
02-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Its in the crossfader area, have to enable the crossfader for it to show.

silentsounds
02-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Its in the crossfader area, have to enable the crossfader for it to show.

Ah, I didn't have the cross fader enabled. Either way, it doesn't work with the current setup, i.e using just my on board sound card.

JonAvalon
02-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Change the sound settings to be active for "output monitor" instead of "output master".

silentsounds
02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Change the sound settings to be active for "output monitor" instead of "output master".
:argh: Been out of the game for way too long, lol. That was rather simple and I should've thought about it sooner.

Thanks for all the help. Tested the recording functionality under this method and it looks like it is working as well.

Perhaps this should have been in the beginner's section.

(I'll rep you back when I can again)

JonAvalon
02-01-2012, 08:22 PM
lol all good mate, that's why we are here to help ;)

And thanks for reminding me about recording, i don't have a proper soundcard either atm and was stumped because i can't stream live with what i have and i still need to find a way to record for my battle. And now i just remembered that the recording feature does still work when you only have the monitor output active, so woot were good!

mr.smashy
02-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Sorry i'm late to the party. This sound card: Reloop Play (http://www.reloopdj.com/product_info.php/info/p534_Reloop-Play.html) looks pretty good for laptop DJing and using Traktor with a mixer. Watch the videos, they are pretty good. The card is on Amazon for like $95is dollars if I remember too.

silentsounds
02-02-2012, 04:40 PM
So just to confirm, can I use non-proprietary interfaces with Traktor or no?

I'm certain for inputs like TTs, I need a NI interface in addition to the Scratch software, but what about Traktor Pro?

Atomisk
02-02-2012, 05:02 PM
You can use non NI interfaces with Traktor, but you won't recieve scratch functionality. You need the Audio DJ 4/6/8/10 for that.

For Traktor Pro, You can use any interface with at least 2 outputs.

silentsounds
02-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Ok, let me put it this way.

Is it possible to use two interfaces with Traktor Pro?

My on board sound card works just fine. However, when I connect a pair of USB headphones, in addition to the on board sound card, I get some error which ultimately causes Traktor to freeze up. So perhaps that is the issue.

As it stands though, the advice that JonAvalon provided me with will work for what I need to do at the moment.

I have a couple of other questions, but I'll get to those in an hour or two when I'm not too busy.

JonAvalon
02-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Technically yes you can

If using windows, you will need to use something like ASIO4ALL (http://www.asio4all.com/) to tie all audio sources into one, it can be tricky to get working otherwise it shouldn't be much of a hassel. For Mac i believe you use the audio/midi settings and then use the aggregate editor to do the similar.

silentsounds
02-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah I'll stick with the current setup. Not had great experiences with ASIO4ALL.

Hausgeist
02-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Perhaps this should have been in the beginner's section.

Nah, I'd just move it here anyway. :P

Karlos Santos
02-05-2012, 10:05 AM
unfortunately, one of the proprietary NI interfaces at that.

If you are mixing internally or externally you can use any soundcard with Traktor. It's only when use Traktor Scratch Pro with Timecode CD's/Vinyl that you need and N.I. Audio 4/6/8 or 10 or, a Scratch Certified Mixer.

The Audio 2 is an extremely powerful soundcard for very little money and sounds crystal clear. I love mine, its in my gig bag as a backup at every gig:)

silentsounds
02-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't need one. JonAvalon explained that above. I've set it all up accordingly.

TSPTutor
02-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Audio 2 will work great for ya. Setup one channel to your cue and the other to your master. Definately would help to have even a small set of speakers to plug your master channel to.

silentsounds
02-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Audio 2 will work great for ya. Setup one channel to your cue and the other to your master. Definately would help to have even a small set of speakers to plug your master channel to.

I'm actually very used to mixing in headphones which makes the need for the two outputs redundant. I will have to get a sound card however if I plan on getting back on Faderwave.

djbigchamp
02-09-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm a little late on this, but just to add my cents, I went a while with a similar set-up (traktor, kontrol x1), and not being able to cue was the biggest pain ever. I made the small investment in an Audio 2, and it's absolutely worth it. It's small, and reliable if you're running a simple set-up with just an X1. I have since upgraded to a Kontrol S2, and I love it too, but I always have my Audio 2 and X1 on deck in case i need them :).

I DJ in Baltimore btw, we should hang!

silentsounds
02-09-2012, 11:37 AM
This is just a cheap setup for now. I plan to get back to cds of tts once I get my own place.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

punky
02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
You may want to consider getting a beefier controller rather than CDJs or vinyl. Unless you REALLY love the feel of CDJs and vinyl, a good controller will set you back less cash and probably give you more options. You'll be able to control looping, FX, beat jumps, etc.

silentsounds
02-09-2012, 07:07 PM
You may want to consider getting a beefier controller rather than CDJs or vinyl. Unless you REALLY love the feel of CDJs and vinyl, a good controller will set you back less cash and probably give you more options. You'll be able to control looping, FX, beat jumps, etc.

I'm used to the setup I had prior to my move. DN-S1200s and a Xone 42. Had to sell everything prior to my move. I started DJing with software, but I just don't have as much fun with it as I do with regular decks. Either way, upgrading gear is not happening for a while. I've mapped the X1 exactly how I want it. I can control two decks and mix properly with this little thing. I've been rather impressed with the versatility.

With that said, I need some advice.

I'm going to be looking for a sound card this weekend. I need one with inputs so that I can broadcast online. Will any sound card work or will I have to use a NI interface? I'm still a little confused about this. If I can find a NI at a decent price, I'll probably pick one of those up. If anything will work, I could use some recommendations. Looking for a good balance between price and quality.

mostapha
02-09-2012, 10:30 PM
You don't have to use an NI interface unless you're going to use timecode. Any ASIO/CoreAudio sound card will work. Aggregate Devices also work if you're on OS X.

If you're broadcasting with Traktor, you either need to build an aggregate device that has an input pair and 2 output pairs or buy a soundcard that has an input pair and 2 output pairs. I can't recommend one without knowing more about your budget and requirements.

If it were me, at this point, I'd probably try and see how close the electronics inside the Echo Audio 4 are to the Echo Audio 12…if it was close enough, I'd buy that mostly because I did a double blind listening test that involved it and an Apogee Ensemble a while ago…and while I could tell that they were different, I really didn't have much of a preference. Mathematically, MOTU cards seem to be different levels of awesome. And the Komplete Audio 6 has been praised repeatedly for sounding pretty decent and giving really low latency performance. I'm also quite impressed with my new, little Scarlett 2i2, which doesn't have enough output for what you're doing…but the 8i6 would work and is about in the ballpark with the others I've mentioned as well on price.

I'm beginning to think that in the $120 to ~$400 soundcard range, there's really not a lot of difference in quality. And they seem to be a lot better than they were even a few years ago.

If you're broadcasting with anything but Traktor, you can use the line input on your laptop and any sound card with 2 output pairs. The NI Audio 2 DJ (or Traktor Audio 2, they're the same thing) is one of the most cost effective and sounds great for the price.

silentsounds
02-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks mostapha. (I need to spread rep)

I don't plan on broadcasting from within Traktor. I plan on using it for FW. However, I don't have a line-in, nor am I using a conventional mixer (just the X1) and as such, I need the soundcard to serve as a line-in. In order to broadcast using Stickam or FMLE, the input choices I am given are only 'Microphone'. I don't want to use that. I had a Line-in on my desktop which served me well, but this is all I have now.

I'll put my budget in the ~150 range, with a maximum of 200.

mostapha
02-10-2012, 02:42 PM
If you're mixing internally, you can broadcast from Traktor. Does that work with Faderwave? It'd be simpler and let you use an Audio 2.

silentsounds
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
No it won't. Stickam as well as FMLE from Adobe require the declaration of an audio input. I can't seem to choose my onboard sound card. I'm not even given the choice. The only choice I do have is the MIC IN.