PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Computer Question

Stirred
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM
My primary unit is a MacBook Pro . I run SSL and keep all of my music on my laptop. I upped the internal HDD to 1TB and RAM to 8GB (not needed but oh well!!!). I keep a back up on an external as well... about to start using time machine.

My question is... if I am getting a back up computer, will I have any issues with formatting or anything like that if I have to go to a windows unit on the fly? or should I invest in a used Macbook or something like that as a back up?

DJHoss
02-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Nope. only issue I can think of is running into lower quality audio from the windows' audio card.

Should be fine, I doubt that mac will crash unless it gets hit by a bus.

Sween
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
I just bought another backup laptop yesterday. Got an Asus. Primary is also MBP.

My MBP is getting a little jittery because the hard drive is almost full. I have well over 400G of 500G total filled. I sometimes get the pinwheel when trying to load a track... It made me nervous because my old backup really sucks!

My setup uses an external audio card... two of them actually (in each DN-S1200). So the only issue I see happening on my end is making sure the PC has all the drivers installed.

I did not realize it was possible to swap out my MBP's internal HD with a 1TB... I don't like messing with the internal workings of a laptop (except RAM), for the fear of screwing something up... I figured since Apple went unibody, they really did not intend on having people customize them.

Stirred
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I just bought another backup laptop yesterday. Got an Asus. Primary is also MBP.

My MBP is getting a little jittery because the hard drive is almost full. I have well over 400G of 500G total filled. I sometimes get the pinwheel when trying to load a track... It made me nervous because my old backup really sucks!

My setup uses an external audio card... two of them actually (in each DN-S1200). So the only issue I see happening on my end is making sure the PC has all the drivers installed.

I did not realize it was possible to swap out my MBP's internal HD with a 1TB... I don't like messing with the internal workings of a laptop (except RAM), for the fear of screwing something up... I figured since Apple went unibody, they really did not intend on having people customize them.

Yessir!!! http://www.macsales.com/ is my go to!!! lol.. next upgrade will come once the SSDs come down in price a little.

Stirred
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Have been on CL and Ebay looking for a refurb. Macbook or MBP... but finally hit the wall, not trying to spend $7-800 + for a USED backup.

Sween
02-21-2012, 12:53 PM
I just spent 950 for a new asus on tigerdirect.

Dix
02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Nope. only issue I can think of is running into lower quality audio from the windows' audio card.

You shouldnt be running your sound off of your laptop audio card anyway. That's like using home stereo speakers at a ZZ Top concert.
Nice $100,000 concert, $100 speakers. Nice $1000 laptop, $10 audio card.

Mike D
02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
MBP primary, iPad2 64G backup... holds all the music I need and they have decent DJ programs now that can get you through an event and is cheap.... plus I can play Angry Birds when i'm bored.. :)

Sween
02-22-2012, 08:26 AM
MBP primary, iPad2 64G backup... holds all the music I need and they have decent DJ programs now that can get you through an event and is cheap.... plus I can play Angry Birds when i'm bored.. :)

I too have an iPad2 for backup... but only as a crutch. I would use the iPad for 1 or 2 songs while I hook up the backup laptop.

It would look really bad if you had to go the whole night on an iPad.

mems
02-22-2012, 10:04 AM
I run a Torq on my netbook Asus EEE as my back up to my IMac 27". It has its quirks but the confidence of knowing I have something just in case is huge. Ipad hooks into the Asus and my Iphone into the Mac and its at arms reach just incase with a copy of all my music on both. Ill be pickup the Griffin Djay Cord to hook into the Ipad (or Iphone) to run Djay App on there so that if something goes terribly wrong I can still rock it out. It wouldnt be fun, but its better than nothing.

Mike D
02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
I too have an iPad2 for backup... but only as a crutch. I would use the iPad for 1 or 2 songs while I hook up the backup laptop.

It would look really bad if you had to go the whole night on an iPad.

I disagree... depending on the event. If you were trying to mix for a club or something, absolutely. If you're playing a wedding where they just want you to crossfade their songs so they can rock out, iPad's are a great option, especially when you factor in cost.

Unknown DJ
02-23-2012, 03:54 AM
For the cost of an Ipad or an Ipod touch you can have a real computer.

Sween
02-23-2012, 07:37 AM
I disagree... depending on the event. If you were trying to mix for a club or something, absolutely. If you're playing a wedding where they just want you to crossfade their songs so they can rock out, iPad's are a great option, especially when you factor in cost.

I don't care what size iPad it is... it is not going to hold my music library. And I don't care how good you are, running the entire night after a computer crash on an iPad is just not an option for a Pro. This is my opinion.

If this is acceptable to you... why did you bother buying computers, turntables, controllers, etc...? Apparently an iPad is all you need.

For the cost of an Ipad or an Ipod touch you can have a real computer.

Correct. Especially for the 64G version. (Going to disagree on the iPod touch). DJing on a $500 computer > DJing on an iPad app.

Galager
02-28-2012, 11:47 AM
You shouldnt be running your sound off of your laptop audio card anyway. That's like using home stereo speakers at a ZZ Top concert.
Nice $100,000 concert, $100 speakers. Nice $1000 laptop, $10 audio card.

That's why they make external audio cards. Makes a world of difference.