PDA

View Full Version : Telling a story through a mix?

djAj90
01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Is it good idea to tell a story for a special event through the choice of songs used in a mix and their order, or will most people not notice and its pointless? I'm thinking about doing it for the next mix I make

DJNR
01-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Creating a journey? I try to do that with every mix I make. Although there may not be a theme, the amount of energy I put into a mix through song selection is structured.

thehadgi
01-20-2013, 07:40 PM
I believe you are looking to create.. a 'mix odyssey'... yes?

:)

djAj90
01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
I never heard the term mix odyssey before,and can't find anything about it though google searches. Is it called mix odyssey because its a series of songs that can relate together for a much bigger story, like the odyssey by homer?

thehadgi
01-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Sorry, I was giving a little homage to an epic troll that used to frequent here and his mix he dubbed 'the mix odyssey'. It was just an awesome train wreck lol

Nah but I've seen lot of mixes that 'tell a story'. I like it, you should do it

Era 7
01-21-2013, 06:44 AM
I believe you are looking to create.. a 'mix odyssey'... yes?

:)

:lol: oh what a masterpiece that was.

DJArmani
01-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I've always wanted to try that but i never understood how to really tell a story through a mix.

DJ-Veaux
01-21-2013, 07:13 PM
I've always wanted to try that but i never understood how to really tell a story through a mix.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20054494.jpg

:lol:

I personally just use vocal tracks that communicate a certain idea across.

DJ Nada
01-21-2013, 08:02 PM
You should always be trying to project some idea or story with your mix. Otherwise you're just an iPod set to random.

Austin GoGreen
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Yes. That's the beauty of music! Express yourself. Do it for your people. Do it for your mom or someone you love... I feel I do my best work this way. I can't create for myself but if I'm doing it for something I love, it just pours out.

E_Massive
01-27-2013, 06:40 AM
have some sort of video along with it :)

D4anster
01-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Mixed in key can help, I use D Minor (7A) A Minor (8A) and E Minor (9A) in a majority of sets.
Ive used ambient airport and trainstation noises before, droping various stages of departure, check in and arrivals though out the set.
I've read in some blogs about creating a roller coaster, twists, turns and suprises. For me it's all about spending the time trying to find those
tracks that fit together really well.

DinoSaw
02-05-2013, 03:06 AM
Was reading through this thread and decided to give it a try.

https://soundcloud.com/dinosaw/coming-in-static-axiom-vs

DJ Remax
02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Go download some sets from Eric Prydz. He is amazing at this.

finalcoyote
02-11-2013, 05:40 PM
It depends a lot on genre, too; a few styles of music are not really suited to this so called "story mixing", but I at least think if you aren't trying to convey some sort of abstract idea in every mix you do, you aren't a great musician.

Remember music is all about emotion, and trying to make them flow together is what DJing is all about.

[edit: not trying to sound like a pretentious w***er here, you dig me]

CamDaze
02-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Well, at the risk of sounding like a pretentious w***er, I think the abstract idea of the "story" is way more important than any type of actual story told through lyrics. Unless you're using your own music, I'd be very impressed if you could pull off a full-on story in a mix using other peoples' music without sounding cheesy or without sacrificing the integrity of the mix by trying to force in lyrical themes while ignoring the musical mix itself. To me the "story" is the emotion you're trying to convey or evoke. If you're trying to do that with words, write a poem or something.

drop1
02-11-2013, 07:52 PM
To me this cd defines telling a story/creating a journey with a mix.
I've tried getting a set to flow this well and for 15 years I have been unsuccessful .:(
MOKKv6f4TlA

Finnish_Fox
02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
More often than not, it goes over the listener's head.

DJNR
02-12-2013, 11:50 AM
More often than not, it goes over the listener's head.

I agree with this. I don't think it would work unless someone really knew the music or the mix.

Rass
02-16-2013, 06:09 PM
"Creating a journey" is that stereotypical DJ advice that sounds great on paper, but in reality a vast majority of your audience won't get "it." But, I would say that I certainly structure my mixes with some sort of journey or path in mind. I feel like thinking of the mix as a story or journey helps me organize my own thoughts, as much as it helps to entertain the crowd.

Also, Mix Odyssey. . . :)

djlotus
02-16-2013, 06:46 PM
I do this all the time with old school deep house and only people who listen to the mix as a mix catch on. Most people listen to a mix as background music or to hear how the mix was done technically.

AdrianR
02-17-2013, 01:27 AM
I think its a bit ridiculous and cliche to be honest. "Oh this mix is a journey. It's an odysee. Its........" Just another Deep House mix? (Sorry mate. Don't take it personally.)

I think going about it that way only leads you to one conclusion.... Which is the same conclusion that every other Dj with the same mindset will end up at. In the end, you might have a "Journey Through House" or "Mix Adventure" etc, but, it's just a mix. Which, may possibly bore the pants off legitimate listeners because, they've all been taken on the same journey before? Think of it this way. Say your mix is a story, or a movie or what ever. And, you use House music to tell that story. Ok. The House music story is a great story. Except, it's all ready been told. It's a Urban Folk Tale now. And so, it's a bit like that film Avatar. All special effects, but the bottom line was, the story had allready been told a thousand times under different names.

If you want to tell a story, a personal one, then, do something personal with it. Maybe, create periods of just, a beat.. Then have someone actually speak in spoken word that chapter of the story, then, into that beat, at a brilliant time, mix a specific song that reflects that bit of the story and maybe add sound effects over the top. I've done this many times with promo cds for nights. SO THATS MY STORY FIND YOUR OWN! :D

But thats how I personalise my mixes. Also, I SPECIFICALLY do not restrict it to one genre. I think thats the worst mistake you can make. If you want to make it a story, then you have to think. How does a story make you feel after you have read it? Makes you kind of feel, excited, but, tired. Like, you have been on a journey, you are inspired by the journey, but now you are at your destination and can relax. Putting out just, a mix won't have that effect. You have to REALLY personalise it and REALLY do crazy shit with it to make people pay attention and further more, most importantly, you have to play a wide variety of vibes. Happy at some points, sad at others.

Ironically House is great for that because it's sub genres cater to a lot of emotions. But if you keep it on just ONE sub genre, all you are doing is playing that emotion over and over again. 12 times or so. Just like every other Dj. Don't be afraid to mix it up. Think of your story.

Eg:

Broke up with my gf. Boohoo.

Start, happy song. Everythings great.
Then, violent songs. Your fighting.
Then, lower vibed, chill out songs.. Maybe not dark. That post break up reflection stage where youre kinda thinking "Maybe it was fore the best"
Then, Happy and power and energy again because, bang bang, you just met the girl of your dreams, shes fantastic, shes single and she wants to fuck your brains out.

What will people think after they've gone through all that? Dj's will tell you "man your mix sound REALLY random. Its like. Housey, then its Electroish, then its like, Deep/Chill out house then fucking, turns to Prog/ Trance man.. Wtf?"

But, think of the technique and skill put into that to make it flow and sound great at a variety of paces that, you don't conciously recognise. That world of emotions you've gone through. Your Un Dj audience will be saying "What the fuck the did I just listen to? I feel like I've been out all night.. But its only been an hour.. that was awsome!"