PDA

View Full Version : hillbilly hard drive enclosure

ampnation
01-20-2013, 06:29 PM
This is actually something I want to do vs. something I have done. I have a 2.5" bare SATA drive that I pulled out of an enclosure. It had an odd power supply thing and I had lost the power supply. Reading online I found that inside it was just a regular 2.5" SATA drive so I pulled it apart and sure enough. I also happened to have lying around a spare SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter kit. It consists of multiple adapters and a power supply. Following the instructions, I was able to get my old iTunes backup drive running just fine.

I might want to use this drive in the future for odd uses, nothing too important. It is only a 160GB and I have a few 500GB and 1TB drives. So instead of spending on a proper enclosure for it, here's what I plan. Anyone see a problem with it?

Get an anti-static baggie like the kind electronics come in when you buy components retail, put the drive inside that, trim it to just cover the drive, and tape it on. The adapter will be more or less permanent since I have no other use for it. Then wrap some low density foam around the baggie to offer some protection. I might even put all of that in a little box to contain all the adapter parts and hard drive in one convenient box with just the power and USB cords exposed.

Phil Noize
01-21-2013, 03:32 AM
2.5" hard drive enclosures are really inexpensive on eBay, probably 4 - 5 bucks (£3 here in the UK). I have put all my old spare 2.5" drives in those. It would be a better solution, and the drive would be less likely to over-heat.