PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJArmani vs xs2man vs Funkyfader - Intermediate Electro, Prog House Battle

JonAvalon
01-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DJArmani-vs-xs2man-vs-Funkyfader-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DJArmani-vs-xs2man-vs-Funkyfader-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DJArmani-vs-xs2man-vs-Funkyfader-3.mp3)

Rules:
Rules : 20-30 min. mix (last track can start @ 30 min.)
No editing; straight raw
Intermediate (1.5 years - you know if your an expereinced dj)
CD's / TT's whatever you want
Electro; Progressive; Dirty Dutch anything along those lines

DJArmani
01-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Anyone ? If you enjoy dutch house check this out ! This isn't top40 it's straight electro.

DJArmani
01-17-2013, 04:57 PM
C'mon guys a few minutes per mix won't kill you.

KLH
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm pulling these down now...

-KLH

DJArmani
01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm pulling these down now...

-KLH

Why is that?

xs2man
01-19-2013, 01:14 AM
I think he means downloading them so he can listen to them at his convenience, rather than needing to be online.

KLH
01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
I think he means downloading them so he can listen to them at his convenience, rather than needing to be online.
Yep. Listening now. These are great. This battle's going to be hard to pick a winner for.

-KLH

KLH
01-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Mix 1:

Love the open (pads and a voice). Is that GO by Moby? Bonus points. Lots of tracks with echos and pads - my favorite sounds in EDM. Great transitions. I really couldn't find any flaws. This was a fairly consistent mix that was somewhat trance-y. I really like it.

Mix 2:

Love the open (granular synth droplet notes and pulsing noise). This one is going to be in your face. This is going to be good. The attitude at 5:40 is great. Massive key clashing at 8:38. There were transitions that cut off vocals with another's vocals (13:40).

I want to clarify that the transitions were done very well, but I disagree at the point of where transitions were made. Some split a vocal, others split the main chorus riff, and others clashed keys. I would say that phrasing skills need practice - but that's all. If the phrasing were addressed, I'd vote for this mix.

Mix 3:

Cotton-eyed Joe to open? Ballsy. Lots of energy in this mix. Played end-to-start with some tracks. Nice transition at 10:00. Bonus for incorporating MJ's Thriller. I love the track at 25:30. This mix has the most consistent energy. Transitions were well done.

Damn people, how am I supposed to choose between 3 great mixes??? Well, I guess that I'm going to have to go with the best flow for energy... and that'd be mix #3.

Great job, peeps!

-KLH

xs2man
01-19-2013, 12:32 PM
I guess its frowned upon to vote for your mix, lol.

Zander James
01-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Mix 1: Technically flawless. I personally have nothing to offer suggestion-wise. This sounds a lot like a typical opening set at the club I like to frequent. The track selection is a bit deeper than my typically commercial tastes, but I have to acknowledge that it carried a very quality relaxed trance-y vibe.

Mix 2: Really liked the intro and energy brought into the set from the get-go. I'm hearing some very high-pitched frequency ringing through my speakers from minutes 2-5 on the mix that are displeasing. Not a big fan of the transition into Sandro Silva & Quintino's "Epic" there was a noticeable change in volume levels as well. Also not a huge fan of the talking vocal sample over Epic but that may be because I'm partial to Kaskade's "Call Out Epic" mash-up. Not a big fan of the transition out of Epic either. On the other hand, I'm absolutely loving the mash up between "WTF" and "Hey Mr. Mister." Don't like the transition to the next track though. 23 minute mark is great, the sample thrown in really works (is that silhouettes?) except I want to hear that sample as the next track. I liked the way it ended.

Mix 3: Didn't really get into it until 3:30 but I'm loving it so far. Thriller was an awesome idea and it absolutely worked. Props. It's always a great choice to throw in the NERVO girls beautiful voices in a set. Also a big fan of the Simian "Never Be Alone" acapella track. You could maybe throw in a "Where's your Head At" by Basement Jaxx sample in there too because the tracks are so simple. Just a thought for the future.

I think all of these mixes are great for an intermediate mix. Everyone involved should congratulate themselves and I will add rep for everyone who made one. Mix #1 is technically great, but the track selection wasn't my cup of tea. Mix #2 has a great energy and track selection, but some questionable transitions. Mix #3 has some great tracks I like, a nice energy to it, and some flawless transitions.

My vote is for Mix #3.

DJArmani
01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Mix 2:

Love the open (granular synth droplet notes and pulsing noise). This one is going to be in your face. This is going to be good. The attitude at 5:40 is great. Massive key clashing at 8:38. There were transitions that cut off vocals with another's vocals (13:40).

I want to clarify that the transitions were done very well, but I disagree at the point of where transitions were made. Some split a vocal, others split the main chorus riff, and others clashed keys. I would say that phrasing skills need practice - but that's all. If the phrasing were addressed, I'd vote for this mix.

-KLH

Really like your input on my mix. At 13:40 I actually thought it was a great transition because I kind of echoed out the "hey" to bring in the next vocals. I didn't want to bring the energy down so I brought right into the vocals on the next track. But I completely agree with you on key clashing as I go back into the mix. This was a one shot mix, but I'll be aware of that next battle.

Funkyfader
01-25-2013, 05:48 AM
+repped who voted
also le bump for moar votes!

KLH
01-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Really like your input on my mix. At 13:40 I actually thought it was a great transition because I kind of echoed out the "hey" to bring in the next vocals. I didn't want to bring the energy down so I brought right into the vocals on the next track. But I completely agree with you on key clashing as I go back into the mix. This was a one shot mix, but I'll be aware of that next battle.
Ahem... you should wait until the battle ends to say this so as to not influence others in their voting.

-KLH

xs2man
01-25-2013, 08:36 AM
I was thinking that myself, lol. But just let it slide

Zafire
01-27-2013, 04:18 PM
I'll give them a listen over the next couple days and edit this post. stay tuned.

Zafire
01-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Had a listen and for me the winner is Mix 3. Got some Nervo and Sander which is just win. transitions were all smooth too. Although i didn't personally like the start of the mix the first track, it just seemed like an overall better set.

Mix 1, sounded a lot like a warm-up/chillout set to me which i need to be in the mood for to get into...unfortunately it's 0140hrs just now! Otherwise good mix, and clean transitions :tup:

Mix 2 some nice tracks again here, Sander, Epic, Wasn't too keen on the transition out of epic though. High energy set, Defo dutch inspired. :tup:

xs2man
02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Well I guess I lost this one then.

Not to worry. I was mix 1 btw. At least all the feedback was good.

Just I played what I regard as progressive rather than what beatport class as progressive I guess.

Never mind.

Good battle guys. Some great mixes. Maybe next time.