PDA

View Full Version : First direct competitor of Ableton Live? BITWIG

Rek_Aviles
02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I posted this in the news section, forgot to make a thread.

Introducing BITWIG (http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php) Studio.

http://bitwig.com/img/news/bitwig-studio-news.png

The new music production and performance system.

We are very proud to announce our upcoming product: Bitwig Studio. It is the result of passionate musicians wanting a more natural way to create music and sound. Bitwig Studio is a multi-platform music-creation system for production, performance and DJing, with a focus on flexible editing tools and a super-fast workflow.

7V_t8GfH-v4

Simultaneous multitrack editing
http://bitwig.com/img/announcement_page/sections/1/simultaneous-multitrack-editing-thumb.png
Edit contents of multiple tracks together. You can see them all juxtaposed and isolate only the ones you want to edit.

Real-time time stretching
http://bitwig.com/img/announcement_page/sections/1/real-time-time-stretching-thumb.png
Bitwig Studio's proprietary technology lets you match any audio material to the document tempo and get everything in sync.

Slick user interface
http://bitwig.com/img/announcement_page/sections/1/slick-user-interface-thumb.png
Bitwig Studio's user interface has been meticulously crafted to make your music creation experience fun and intuitive.

Multi-user music production over the internet
http://www.djforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54&d=1326821507 (http://www.djforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54&d=1326821507)
Multiple users can compose music on the same document from different locations. Bitwig Studio keeps everything in sync.

For more information, head over to Bitwig.com (http://bitwig.com/).

g-sep
02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
I signed up for the beta a while back. Hope to get to try this out soon.

Lazerick
02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
me too!!

Andrew B
02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Apparently this was a few guys that worked at Ableton and were sick of the lack of updates. Pretty cool. :tup:

g-sep
02-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Apparently this was a few guys that worked at Ableton and were sick of the lack of updates. Pretty cool. :tup:

Yup. There was a lot of talk on another forum about legal issues. But why go through all this trouble making a program without making sure it won't run into any legal issues. Haters gon hate I guess :argh:

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Rek_Aviles
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
*Moved thread to Production forum*

I posted in the wrong place.

Tonitz
02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Juut subscribed for beta testing. :tup:

gr2daover
02-03-2012, 12:05 PM
dont think this is something that will make me run from ableton at all. but it is nice to see it have some competition with almost the same layout for hopefully a little cheaper.

Will MaXimal
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I tried to get some information while at NAMM but the only presentation they had at NAMM was a shoe box with their name written on it so you could drop business cards in.

JonAvalon
02-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Signed up for the beta

Didn't make much of it at first when it started popping up as news, but now i'm interested.

Rek_Aviles
02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm with Grov, Live is already a solid program and I still have tons to learn, but its good that there's now something new trying to compete.

I'm just interested in the LAN and internet link feature. that should be big.

Wasn't there another program trying to come out with the same internet sharing thing? :confused:

drumpusher
02-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Native modular system, Multi user sync and LAN jamming look cool. Wonder is the LAN jamming implementing OSC?

Will MaXimal
02-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Native modular system, Multi user sync and LAN jamming look cool. Wonder is the LAN jamming implementing OSC?

How many controllers send an OSC signal?

drumpusher
02-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Anything can be converted and mapped. MIDI, bluetooth. I've controlled Live with a Wii controller with OSCulator. A lot of the iOS apps used OSC before MIDI was implemented.

drumpusher
02-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Plus OSC is sent over UDP which would make sense on a LAN.

thehadgi
02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Hm... pretty comfortable with live already, but this could be interesting to try out. Per note midi automation and the device nesting could be interesting, although I'm not sure it's inherently going to make for easier workflows. I CANNOT believe though that even this new competitor does not have automation curves! At least judging from the pic. Honestly, it's amazing Ableton still doesn't have them, but Bitwig could implement that idea pretty easily. I kind of also like the idea of having multiple projects open at once, although that could impact your CPU and RAM pretty hard depending on the project

Signed up for beta, I'll have to check it out

gr2daover
02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I thought Max for Live allowed you to share your works and all with others around the world in real time, might be wrong which is usually the case lol.

ezelkow1
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought Max for Live allowed you to share your works and all with others around the world in real time, might be wrong which is usually the case lol.

m4l integrates the max programming environment into live, lets you make your own devices and such, its alot like reaktor. Only problem most people have with m4l is that you have to buy it to use it at all, and the majority of people dont want to shell out 250$ just to use a few simple devices if they dont have the intention of delving deep into m4l. If there had been some sort of player setup, like reaktor player for reaktor, then more people would probably use it. Which is why the modular thing built in, hopefully not charging extra for it, is pretty cool.

The online one your probably thinking of is OhmStudio. Its pretty good, im on the beta for it, but dont have that much time to mess around with it, and it does still have some big bugs at least on windows. Rumor has it though they are adding minimonsta and the other ohm/gforce branded synths into it, which would be sweet.

I still wonder what happened to the soundcloud integration ableton talked about a few years back, that seemed to disappear into thin air. Either way just good to finally see some competition for ableton, hopefully bring down their over inflated prices since they are the only game in town for that style of daw

THRILLHO.2
02-05-2012, 09:25 PM
sp404sx >

Liam
02-06-2012, 05:49 AM
I saw this a while back, i would definitely try it out when the demo comes on the go. I think they could be onto a winner with the right attitude and development.

de.j.l
02-06-2012, 06:38 AM
ahh and I just bought ableton too..:freak:

Skeyelab
02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
don't worry. this is vaporware as of now. They have no working beta out, and did not show at NAMM.

My thoughts, this is a few years away.

DJ Watty
02-06-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm just interested in the LAN and internet link feature. that should be big.

Wasn't there another program trying to come out with the same internet sharing thing? :confused:

That would make a collaboration between digital artist so much easier. Can't wait

Skeyelab
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
I would imagine that any audio samples are copied to each computer, and only control data is being sent via the LAN

epik1
02-06-2012, 02:48 PM
This is very exciting...

the4thImpulse
02-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I cant wait to try it out, looking at the decription it sounds like the DAW of my dreams (not that I dream about daws :D )

Rek_Aviles
02-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Skeyelab :worship:

DJ ArmanB
02-06-2012, 10:50 PM
That looks like a pretty sweet software, I wonder if it will catch on.

login
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I am with Skeylab on this. At least one year away from realease.

I just hope live 9 comes before so I can feed my gas.

punky
02-09-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm glad that they have incorporated so many features that Ableton users have been begging for for years.

ezelkow1
02-17-2012, 10:28 AM
and prices are out on some EU sites, ~450usd :freak:

Asking the same price as well established daws for a v1 product, which wont have its full feature set until v2 and who knows what kind of bugs? Seems ridiculous, so I hope thats just some sort of place holder for the stores. I would think it really needs to be at least half that if they want to pick up any new customers that currently use some other daw

Rek_Aviles
02-17-2012, 10:33 AM
About the same as Ableton Live

Ableton Suite 8 (Ableton Live 8 + Sampler + Operator + Amp + Collision + Tension + Electric + Analog + Drum Machines + Latin Percussion; boxed version additionally includes Essential Instrument Collection 2 + Session Drums)
USD 699 / USD 849 (Box)

Ableton Live 8 (boxed version additionally includes Essential Instrument Collection 2)
USD 449 / USD 549

Ableton Live Intro

USD 99 / USD 139

Upgrades to Live 8

Upgrades from Live 7 to Live 8

USD 149 / USD 189 (Box)

Upgrades from Live 7 to Live 8 (bought and unlocked Live 7 after Jan. 15, 2009)
USD 59 USD 99

Upgrades from Live 1-6 to Live 8

USD 199 USD 249

Upgrades from Live Intro/Live Lite to Live 8 (also upgrades from Live LE)
Until Feb. 29: upgrade and save USD 50
USD 329
USD 279 / USD 419
USD 369

ezelkow1
02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
yea, that was my point, they are asking established daw prices for a v1 product that doesnt even include its full feature set at launch. Thats asking a big leap of faith from potential customers. Who knows how long the company might be around, what kind of support they will offer, what kind of bugs will exist, how long it will take to get out new features and fixes with such a small team. Thats why I figure it should be at least half that if they want to try to pull anyone away from an existing platform

Rek_Aviles
02-17-2012, 10:43 AM
yea, that was my point, they are asking established daw prices for a v1 product that doesnt even include its full feature set at launch. Thats asking a big leap of faith from potential customers. Who knows how long the company might be around, what kind of support they will offer, what kind of bugs will exist, how long it will take to get out new features and fixes with such a small team. Thats why I figure it should be at least half that if they want to try to pull anyone away from an existing platform

Very tru.

I'd guess they'll offer a free timed-trial of some sort.

Giran
02-17-2012, 11:31 AM

I'm hoping that there will be a free upgrade when the new features roll out. That is the only way I can see anyone buying this.

login
02-17-2012, 12:11 PM
I don't think that would be the realease price.

Let's wait till is outthere and all the features (instruments, fx, etc) announced.

thehadgi
02-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah I definitely want to demo it, so hopefully that'll get rolling soon, but $450 usd? Pfff

thehadgi
05-30-2012, 11:19 AM
This in from the bitwig fb page 23 hrs ago

The first round of beta testing will be starting in the next few weeks. We expect the middle of next month. Sorry again for the delays.

I guess they decided to add some features that they originally were going to wait for the 1.0 release

Celestial
05-30-2012, 03:09 PM
the collab part would be nice if you could actually work on two separate computers simultaneously, meaning I'm in the States and someone else is in Europe and yet we can see each other's desktop/working in progress. This would be kind of like remote access IT people have today but with music production. Would save time transferring files back and forth. Just a thought.

ezelkow1
05-30-2012, 06:17 PM
the collab part would be nice if you could actually work on two separate computers simultaneously, meaning I'm in the States and someone else is in Europe and yet we can see each other's desktop/working in progress. This would be kind of like remote access IT people have today but with music production. Would save time transferring files back and forth. Just a thought.

ohm studio just came out of private beta, http://www.ohmstudio.com/

Its made exactly for that purpose, remote collab between people. I was on the private beta but rarely used it just cause when I started it was so buggy and never got around to trying again, but from what Ive seen its really matured and is pretty nice now. Not sure what the real final cost will be though

thehadgi
06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyofAQ3ueDk

Bitwig just announced they were sending out their first beta invites yesterday (on their Facebook)...

And you know, since Ableton has apparently no plans to announce any coming developments for version 9 apart from 'soundcloud export' :facepalm:, it really makes me want to say f*ck it and grab bitwig if it comes out and ableton still hasn't made any announcements :argh:

thehadgi
05-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Anyone get to play with it yet

login
05-09-2013, 04:34 PM
More than one year and not much info, hope it doesn't become vaporware, but it's taking too long.

ezelkow1
08-29-2013, 01:41 PM
New bitwig vid showing modulation options, looks pretty slick, then again, when..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BspO9Dimp14

thehadgi
12-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Just got this. Maybe not vaporware anymore!!

--
Greetings from the Bitwig Headquarters! We hope you've had a sensational 2013 and would like to take the opportunity to wish you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!
We're currently approaching the last beta phase stages for our upcoming Bitwig Studio and want to send out a big thank you to all who helped with beta testing, sent in wishes and suggestions, or otherwise helped to improve and shape what we're working on.
It has been amazing to see so many people from all parts of the world and so many different walks of life contributing to bringing a new music-creation tool to life. We couldn’t be more thankful for the sheer amount of anticipation and interest we have experienced in the past 12 months! That said, our thanks also go out to those who have silently kept their fingers crossed for us while eagerly awaiting the Bitwig Studio 1.0 release.
If you have been following our project for some time now, you might already know that we originally planned to ship Bitwig Studio before the end of this year. Alas, we won't make it and would like to apologize for having to shift this time frame now to the beginning of 2014.
However, the wait is nearly over: We will kick it up a notch again after the holidays and are looking forward to attending NAMM in January, where we will announce the upcoming release date and pricing information for Bitwig Studio 1.0!
We hope you'll enjoy the upcoming holidays and wish you a happy, prosperous, and creative 2014!

Your Bitwig Team

ezelkow1
12-23-2013, 06:33 PM
It hasnt been vaporware for a while, they lifted the NDA on the beta testers a few months back and some of them have been spilling the beans + screenshots over on kvr for a while, they generally tried to answer any question they could figure out. There are some major things missing that they said they would address in future beta's that Im not sure if they ever got to, like being able to route midi around tracks so you could use plugin arps and sequencers

If you feel like trying to skim through it all, look for Thomas Helze's posts, he's the one that posted most of the info, http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389923 (kvr is going through a whole backend upgrade at the moment so the sites a little jacked up)

ezelkow1
01-22-2014, 10:35 AM
And release date and price announced:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/01/bitwig-sets-date-heres-youll-get-bitwig-studio-itll-cost/

http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/2014/01/BWS_Device-Chain.png
400usd/300eur , hope for their sake they have a crossgrade, IMHO at that price they may have a tough time getting converts to a 1.0 daw

Sigma
01-24-2014, 03:50 PM
A demo from NAMM: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqnNkTvEJSk

ezelkow1
03-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Comes out tomorrow, and first review is out:
http://www.musictech.net/2014/03/bitwig-1/

In usual magazine review fashion they barely review it, plus give it high marks on things it even fails in because they didnt bother trying (i.e. saying its awesome at sidechaining when it doesnt support multi-out or sidechain inputs to vsts only on the built-in devices, there is a world beyond thumping the comp). Cant wait to give the demo a spin though

thehadgi
03-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Comes out tomorrow, and first review is out:
http://www.musictech.net/2014/03/bitwig-1/

In usual magazine review fashion they barely review it, plus give it high marks on things it even fails in because they didnt bother trying (i.e. saying its awesome at sidechaining when it doesnt support multi-out or sidechain inputs to vsts only on the built-in devices, there is a world beyond thumping the comp). Cant wait to give the demo a spin though

thnx for the link man. yeah just got an email notif on the release. now this may be crazy talk, but... i may try out the demo (http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio/download.html) and see if i like it more than ableton. have no problems with ableton, but might be time for a switch up just to see what happens :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EbpxtZrJKg

ezelkow1
03-27-2014, 09:35 PM
yea played with the demo for a few hours yesterday, meh. Its nice and has potential, but it is still buggy, still has PDC issues, lacks any real routing options. Their modulation system has all sorts of odd restrictions, really lives' m4l setup while it may have seemed half-baked actually has way more flexibility. It was interesting to play with but IMHO if you already own live it doesnt really seem worth the 400$ tag as of yet. It will be interesting to see where it goes though, apparently first on their list is the PDC fixes followed by routing and group tracks, so may come back to it after those happen. Its also hard to buy into a v1 product with an unknown company who is promising a whole lot to come in v2 but took their sweet ass time with v1, but also who knows what their upgrade schemes are like

Does have a ton of potential though with their scripting scheme for controllers, still have to look into that. Hoping that since its a fresh code base bug fixes and enhancements can come fast and furious, an older base has a much harder time with that. Also interested to see what kind of push scripts people can come up with. I think Im just going to give it time and possibly look back into it around christmas when they'll inevitably have some sort of sale on it. Im sure they will work out all their issues, it will be a good barometer to see how long it takes until it really settles down

login
03-28-2014, 01:12 PM
I was trying to try it, but the lack of save option in the demo discourages me too much.

thehadgi
06-11-2014, 08:43 AM
any new updates? :)

ezelkow1
06-11-2014, 10:24 AM
They sent out updates fast and furious the first few weeks to fix alot of the major bugs, but its still lacking in a great many areas. I occasionally peek in the kvr bitwig forum to see how their releases are going and half the time it seems they put out a new revision only to introduce another 5-10 bugs. So IMHO they have a long ways to go until its stable and actually feature complete compared to competitors. Also they still dont have PDC fixed despite them saying from the beginning the PDC would work. Initially on release it was broken, then they implemented a half-assed fix, and even with that its still broken in some situations like when you start putting some vst's in containers

Personally Im holding off until ~1.5 release and then Ill go back and check it. Figure by then they should be having some 50% off sales anyway, I cant imagine they got many purchasers (except those who just buy based on the pie in the sky magazine reviews or some deep seeded hatred of ableton) without some sort of crossgrade or intro price when for the first 2 months its still pretty buggy. Asking people to pay full price to beta their software, SMH