PDA

View Full Version : So I've been working on my first production effort with a buddy of mine...

DJWhoQE
02-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Posted this at first in the Track Submission forum, but it belongs here...

http://soundcloud.com/bopeepbass/kecak-the-monkey-chant/s-d3Pv5

This is the first track I've ever really worked on, and it's far from perfect. Hopefully (one day) it'll be a Tribal House/Tropical Bass stomper. But it still needs a lot of work.

So that's why I've come here. Does anyone have some advice/tips/critiques on what I can do to make this track better? Currently producing it in Ableton Live, if that makes any difference.

DJWhoQE
02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Re-uploaded. Help me out, producer people!

elctromn
02-23-2012, 01:08 AM
I really dig it - reminds me of a lot of the stuff on Mad Decent.

One thing that could help is more layers for the build, because when the vocals come in right before the drop it seems pretty sudden.

The drop and breaks are sick, but I feel like they are missing some.... umph. Like, I don't know, I mean I want to be able to feel the kick/bass more than I can. The bass/kick seem to be at a low frequency that is in between feeling and hearing, so I guess adding a bit more of both ends would help it hit harder - if you want it to. I guess this is all up to you, though, cause the way it is now gives the track a different feel that you might want to be there.

Regardless, it sounds cool. I like it a lot, really a lot like something off Crookers' Doctor Gonzo album.

EDIT: Also the panning of the drums is done really well.

DjDisArm
02-23-2012, 01:09 AM
feelin it

DJWhoQE
02-23-2012, 01:18 AM
I really dig it - reminds me of a lot of the stuff on Mad Decent.

One thing that could help is more layers for the build, because when the vocals come in right before the drop it seems pretty sudden.

The drop and breaks are sick, but I feel like they are missing some.... umph. Like, I don't know, I mean I want to be able to feel the kick/bass more than I can. The bass/kick seem to be at a low frequency that is in between feeling and hearing, so I guess adding a bit more of both ends would help it hit harder - if you want it to. I guess this is all up to you, though, cause the way it is now gives the track a different feel that you might want to be there.

Regardless, it sounds cool. I like it a lot, really a lot like something off Crookers' Doctor Gonzo album.

EDIT: Also the panning of the drums is done really well.
Thanks dude, that's really helpful. We were thinking that we should give the kicks some more umph, and you definitely confirmed our suspicion.

Sedna
02-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I like the direction the track is going. A little more work and it should be pretty solid (not exactly my type of music, so it's hard to formulate an actual opinion).

One thing I suggest is I hear a lot of percussive noises in my left ear. I'd add a few right-panned percussives that respond to the left-panned ones. That's all I can really think of right now.

DJWhoQE
02-23-2012, 11:55 AM
One thing I suggest is I hear a lot of percussive noises in my left ear. I'd add a few right-panned percussives that respond to the left-panned ones. That's all I can really think of right now.
Right on man, thanks! We'll mess with it a bit and see what happens.