PDA

View Full Version : What to use to record my DJ mixes?

IaMtHeDj89
02-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Hello,

I spin on a pair of CDJ-200's with just a cheap Behringer DJX700 Mixer and I have it hooked up to my internal sound card in my computer through line in. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any software to record my DJ Mixes with? I have used Audacity which is basic and does the job, but it doesn't have a limiter I don't think. I have also used FL Studio 10 with Edison but that is used mainly to record samples and is not suited really to record for long amounts of time. Any suggestions?

DJNR
02-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Hello,

I spin on a pair of CDJ-200's with just a cheap Behringer DJX700 Mixer and I have it hooked up to my internal sound card in my computer through line in. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any software to record my DJ Mixes with? I have used Audacity which is basic and does the job, but it doesn't have a limiter I don't think. I have also used FL Studio 10 with Edison but that is used mainly to record samples and is not suited really to record for long amounts of time. Any suggestions?

You could use Ableton. I use Ableton when I produce, and do some basic mastering in it when I'm done with a mix. Also, I'm pretty sure Audacity has a limiter.

Andrew B
02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Why do you need a limiter?

IaMtHeDj89
02-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Do you know of a good video that explains how to record from a line in input? I followed this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7LbS5t9mTs and when i armed the track and pressed record and play in the main playlist, it recorded it, but then when I went to export it, there was no sound :/

IaMtHeDj89
02-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Why do you need a limiter?

just so that the sound is even and level through out?

Andrew B
02-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Do you know of a good video that explains how to record from a line in input? I followed this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7LbS5t9mTs and when i armed the track and pressed record and play in the main playlist, it recorded it, but then when I went to export it, there was no sound :/

Can you walk us through what you did? Tell us exactly how you hooked everything up. Run a test and see if you're getting audio to your computer before recording a whole set. It's a pretty simple connection, so I'm not sure what went wrong. Make sure your audio preferences are set correctly.

just so that the sound is even and level through out?

That's done in the mix. Use your gains.

IaMtHeDj89
02-20-2012, 12:09 AM
I think I will just stick to audacity for recording. Yes I know the level and sound is managed in the mix but I also read about limiters as a safety net.

Austin GoGreen
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
If you already have FL, stick with that... Don't record into Edison, record into the playlist. I'm not with my pc setup right now so I'm not sure what it's called when u hit record but DON"T record into Edison. You can record for as long as you want. Then just master the mix with a limiter after you're finished. Save it. Export as mp3 with the quality you prefer.

Also, make sure the metronome is OFF when you're recording a live mix. Otherwise you will get a constant tempo blip of whatever your bpm is set to. I don't pay attention to the bpm of the FL project when recording a mix. But you do want the metronome turned off.

Raindance Rob
02-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Hello,

i use Total Recorder, very easy to use & good results too

Manu
02-20-2012, 01:06 PM
I think I will just stick to audacity for recording. Yes I know the level and sound is managed in the mix but I also read about limiters as a safety net.

There is also goldwave which is free, and a tool I would recommend.Get it here: http://www.goldwave.com/release.php

Instead of using a limiter when recording, leave some headroom when recording. Meaning your highest sound must stay in the green, around -6 to -10 dB. Then once you're done recording you can use the normalise function to max out the loudness of your mix.

mostapha
02-21-2012, 01:07 AM
I used Audacity for a long time. I've also used Ableton, Pro Tools, and Logic. I use Logic now because it's what I have, and I'll use Pro Tools again when I crossgrade. But I could get the exact same recording with Audacity. It's just familiarity at this point.

As for normalizing vs. limiting…I'm on the fence. I like the sound of mild compression/limiting, and I prefer the sound of really quiet parallel reverb to noise floor…but I don't think it's necessary, certainly not if you can't use gains both to make everything the same level and as an artistic choice to let some tracks run hot/cold as necessary. Limiters can add that last 2% that makes your mix stand out, but it's a lot easier to ruin your mix with one than to enhance it.

Rothgery
02-21-2012, 01:19 AM
I use Audio Hijack Pro to record with, which is perfect by itself, but if you want a little post clean up - it runs with another program called Fission. http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/ Audio Hijack Pro by itself is 32$ and the package with Fission is 50$. May or may not be pricey to some, but I have been using them both for years and love the features. It's Mac exclusive, I don't know if that's what you are running (wasn't mentioned above). It's pretty robust and full of features, you can set it up to record automatically at a specific time, and it can record anything that is audio within your computer, you can point it at specific programs in such as well.

Another cool feature is you can set up the preferences to auto tag with ID3's so all you do is pull it up and launch - it will appropriately label how you have it set up, i.e date, time with your name and live mix... whatever you set it up as. When I record a mix I just hit record, when I stop it, it adds itself to my iTunes smart playlist, all tagged and ready to go. Couldn't be any simpler. Even if you think the 50$ price tag is a lot, at least take a look and what it can do.

No I don't work for Rogue Amoeba, I just dig their programs a lot :tup:

BuddyUK
02-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Audacity is free and incredibly stable, it works perfectly , why do you have to have your music clipped to fcuk at full volume all the time, are you on some sort of quest to eliminate quietness and subtlety? just turn the volume up a bit on your stereo if you want it louder FFS and keep it in the green if you have VU's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZGWQauQOAQ

Synergy
02-26-2012, 07:19 AM
I record straight to Traktor if that is what I am using to dj. If I am doing an all vinyl set I will record in Abelton and export the wav file to Audacity where I will HARDLIMIT my mix and then AMPLIFY it. I like how Ableton give my vinyl mixes a much warmer tone than straight to Traktor.

M!TCH
02-26-2012, 02:50 PM
I used Audacity for a long time. I've also used Ableton, Pro Tools, and Logic. I use Logic now because it's what I have, and I'll use Pro Tools again when I crossgrade. But I could get the exact same recording with Audacity. It's just familiarity at this point.

This. I have Audacity, Ableton, and Logic and I have yet to be disappointed by Audacity. It's super simple to use and I have not been let down yet.

FCruzDJ
03-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Once you've recorded with Audacity, you can use the normalize effect to even out the output; if that's what you're trying to do.