PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Speaker Connections.

djkyle
02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/media_hqpics/GSR12-back%5Bsl%5D.jpg Is that a Speakon Connection if not what is it.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/media_hqpics/GSR18BackPanel%5Bflat%5D.jpg This speakon also right i'm not to sure.

windspeed36
02-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Okay First image: first plug on the right is a 1/4 and XLR female combo input one. Middle one is an XLR male output. The one on the right is an IEC power input.

Second image: similar thing, top two are male XLR outputs, the bottom two are 1/4 and XLR female combo inputs and to the right is an IEC power input.

For these speakers you won't need Speakon because these are active speakers meaning they have an inbuilt amplifier whereas speakers that require Speakon connection will require an external amplifier.

Hope this helps
Chris

drzinc
02-19-2012, 11:02 PM
No those are input connections, combo xlr and 1/4 in phone plug, Speakon connections are for passive speakers from amp.

djkyle
02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
So Use XLR For the 2 tops and 1 Sub.

windspeed36
02-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Go out of your mixer or whatever your signal is comming from take the LR into the sub and set the crossover at probably 110hz then go out of the sub to each of your tops.

djkyle
02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Ok now I Know what you mean. But what is that input on the bottom
on the sub im confused on what that is.

windspeed36
02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
the two inputs on the bottom right of the sub? they the inputs for the sub. The sub has a built in crossover so what that does is cuts the signal so the lower frequency goes to the subwoofer amp and the rest of the signal will go to the LR outputs(pictured above the inputs)

djkyle
02-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Ok I understand what to do now the 2 speakers take xlr to xlr to mixer. The one sub takes 2 xlr's to mixer which is what im going to do if im wrong let me know.

windspeed36
02-20-2012, 12:18 AM
1. XLR Left and right out of the mixer into your subwoofer inputs
2. Set tw subwoofer crossover frequency (right knob) to around 110Hz
3. Take the channel 1 output from the subwoofer into your left hand speakers input
4. Take the channel 2 output from the subwoofer into the right hand speaker

ampnation
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Just so you know for future reference, those combo inputs will take either XLR male or 1/4 inch plugs connectors. XLR is always balanced unless something's malfunctioning or you have a very very rare circumstance like a jerry rigged system or an old obsolete oddball product. Every combo jack I've seen is also balanced re: the 1/4" jacks, so if you use those, make sure to use TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connections. These will have three conductors and two insulating bands. Try not to use 1/4" TS connectors. These will result in, at the very least, an unbalanced signal which is less than optimal and depending on your environment, could be very problematic.