PDA

View Full Version : Technics RCA signal cross

DJ BONES
01-08-2013, 02:14 PM
I fix Technics RCAs on a regular basis but I came across an odd problem. while fixing a friends turntables (he said the rcas were messed up and he had to move them to get them to work), I did a routine replacement and it seems that the signal has somehow crossed. When I use TCV through a rane sixty one the turntable wont work unless i swap the rca cables in the back of the mixer. I literally checked for about an hour to see if i connected the rcas correctly (internally), swapped carts, used another tt, used seperate channels on the mixer, I tried everything!!! anyone ever had this problem?? Im thinking it may be something wrong with one of those tiny wires in the tonearm... the turntable works perfectly fine if you plug them in reverse... pics up soon..

DTR
01-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Could be that the wiring between the tonearm contacts and the PCB is crossed? If the left and right channels are the wrong way round the human ear will probably never notice, so the table could have been used to play real records for years without anyone noticing a problem.

DJ BONES
01-10-2013, 01:25 AM
It was used mostly with serato... I didnt note if they were wired backwards when i removed the old ones, but its possible that it was a manufacturer error...

DeeJayTex
01-10-2013, 06:52 PM
I've replaced a few RCA cables and the cables where labels White and Red yet when I cut the cable and wired it in Red and White where reversed.

DJ BONES
01-11-2013, 01:21 AM
I've replaced a few RCA cables and the cables where labels White and Red yet when I cut the cable and wired it in Red and White where reversed.

Im sure thats not it... i checked to make sure

VjQue
01-15-2013, 01:29 AM
just had that same problem with the yellow decks I did. they guy told me he had to switch his red rca to the white rca plug to work. so when I opened up the tonearm I noticed they put the white wire where the red wire went. I fix that and all was good.

Dj Pudgey
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
what kind of Needles were you using to test? If it is an overhead mounted cartridge, that could be the issue and not the tone arm or RCA's.

light-o-matic
01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Use a multimeter to check the continuity from the headshell to the RCA's, that's the best way to know what's going where.
If they're reversed, then open up the deck and use the meter to see if the reverse is in the tonearm wiring or in your new RCA cable.