PDA

View Full Version : Virtual DJ and Serato and Traktor

fueledbymusic
02-19-2012, 09:29 PM
How is Virtual DJ different from Traktor and Serato. I am not all that familiar with this stuff cause I only use the straight media player of computer to play my mp3s while using my CDs on the normal mixer channels. Someone had told me that I can get a free program to use my mp3s while Im at it. I do know that Serato and traktor uses time coded CDs and vinyl on your regular decks. What about vitual DJ???? (i dont know). But besides the time coded cds, vinyls. How is vitual DJ different from Serato/ traktor? Is there a version that you buy? If so what can I do on the version that you buy, that I cant on the "free" version? Is there other "free" programs?

Do remember that I play the CDs for the most part. But I do use the computer on my third channel some of the time. straight media player.

silentsounds
02-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Serato is what most turn table users use. It doesn't have sync which is probably the biggest difference in comparison to the other 2.

VDJ Pro, the paid version, gives you the ability to add inputs (using TTs, CDs, etc.) and the ability to midi map controllers. The stripped down versions don't always support everything. VDJ Pro also has video mixing included.

I currently use Traktor Pro, but there are three other versions that are worth looking into, IIRC.

Here's the comparison chart from the NI website.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-pro-2/?page=1991

I've not really played around with Serato much, so hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

DJNR
02-19-2012, 09:54 PM
In essence, all three programs are the same thing: they are DVS (digital vinyl solutions).

1) Virtual DJ has it's own timecode vinyl and timecode CDs but (as far as I know) it can be used with certain types of other control vinyl or CD such as those from Serato.
2) All the programs mentioned are so similar it really comes down to personal preference. Some people pick Serato because it's the most established and features a minimalistic interface. I chose Traktor because it has a plethora of features that I like using, which is too much for some other users. Virtual DJ's strong points are in affordability and functionality.
3) There are what are called "lite" versions of these programs that you can get for free. Serato has what's called DJ intro, Native Instruments has Traktor LE, and there is a lite version of Virtual DJ I believe. Most of these versions are limited in functionality, and you will discover their limits as you use them respectively. I'm not really aware of any other "free" programs.

If you play CDs (mostly) I would consider getting cd turntables such as Pioneers CDJ series and a mixer.

silentsounds
02-19-2012, 09:57 PM
The other thing worth mentioning is that if you plan to use time codes with VDJ, there are a variety of audio interfaces that will work with the software. You are not required to purchase any proprietary hardware for time codes to run.

Incognito
02-19-2012, 10:14 PM
You can pick up Virtual DJ for free though there is also a pro version available on the market that you would have to purchase that allows for better options. Serato Live can be used with time coded records or CDs where you would need an interface & a midi controller mixer to use. All three offer dedicated midi interface options at various price points such as the Numark NS7 & NS6 that use Serato Itch (a version of Serato dedicated to such controllers), You also have the Pioneer DDJ-S1 that uses Serato Itch, Vestax offers a couple controllers that also use Serato Itch, the Pioneer DDJ-T1 that uses Traktor & you have other controllers such as the Hercules DJ & Hercules RMX that use Virtual DJ.

Virtual DJ is more entry level to middle of the road yet some versions offer some good features such as video mixing, it is good if you're used to standard two deck mixing, don't want to spend too much on a DJ program & can be used with out the requirement of a midi interface. Serato is also good if you're used to CDJ style mixing of two decks, is a more solid pro grade program but doesn't have all the features of Virtual DJ but requires either time coded media, midi mixer, interface (Serato Live) or a dedicated midi interface controller (Serato Itch). Traktor is great for multi channel mixing & is more suited to doing live remix type productions at your sets, this too requires a dedicated midi controller interface & is a solid pro grade program but isn't really necessary if you only plan on doing two deck mixing.

There are also other DJ programs on the market but the ones mentioned are the three top used programs, with your current set up I would say it depends on how much you wish to spend. If you mainly mix CDs then Virtual DJ running off of your laptop on the free channel of your existing mixer would be a good route to go. If you have the money to spend then you can get a dedicated midi controller interface of your choice, use either Virtual DJ or Serato Itch depending on the requirements of the midi interface controller of your choice. I don't think from the sounds of it that you would require the options available in Traktor for your current application but it would work but be over kill.