PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting The Blackest vs mcake - Drum & Bass Battle

JonAvalon
01-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/mcake-vs-theblackest-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/mcake-vs-theblackest-2.mp3)

Rules:

25 mins
no post production
no sync button

The Blackest
01-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Good luck M:Cake!!

The Blackest
01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
And LOL its The Blackest

JonAvalon
01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
lol oops mybad mate, long day. Fixed :P

m:cake
01-08-2013, 12:16 AM
good luck to you too!! :)

mars.shosh1n
01-08-2013, 02:04 PM
I'd pick Mix1 for a selection that I prefer (compared to Mix2), and for generally better mixing.

In my opinion, the transitions in Mix2 were a bit more complicated, which I do prefer, but the execution left me wanting more.

Thoughts:

Mix1: Nice dancefloor neuro vibes, decent mixing -- except two notables: that mix just before 6 minutes, and the mix around 14 minutes is totally off. Beats are matched, but out of phrase (and, I don't believe any of those songs have snares on 1 or 3 -- please correct me if I'm wrong!). The last tune ... the vocal makes me cringe a bit, but hot damn that's a wicked drop!

Mix2: Overall, the selection was a bit wobbly for my tastes. The mixes are interesting enough, but seemed less clean than Mix1. For example, @6:10, ouch ... weird mix at 8:20, but when this one drops, I understand why it was done that way. Somehow, I ended up loosing interest toward the second half of this mix. Nothing bad about the mixing, but I suppose its just not my style.

Excellent entries for both djs! Respect!

[edit]:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Blackest again.

The Blackest
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks for voting!!

Doppelganger
01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Mix 1

Starts off nice and edgy, levels a bit abrupt in places, but that's nit picking really. Overall technically tight but to me didn't really do anything that would have given it a bit of an "edge". The tracks flowed well, but I felt the mix as a whole didn't really progress anywhere. The energy just stayed at the same rate, or took a few dips in places to me. The tracks used were gritty which I like but found as the mix was full of tracks that sounded so similar it came across as quite dull.

Mix 2

Starts off with a real nice build up. Third track I REALLY like (whoever did this mix please PM your tracklisting, as would like to be the proud owner of it :teef:) Slightly messy double drop, but cleaned it up quickly. Technically slightly more messy than mix one, but put more risk into the variety of the mix which held my ear for much longer.

Enjoyed Mix 2 more than Mix 1 so will be voting for it. It had a much better energy going on throughout and much more of an edge.

01-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Thnx for the vote & feedback!

The Blackest
01-10-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks for voting Jane! Have some rep!

And who else voted? Please give us feed back!

01-14-2013, 07:45 AM
cmon guys vote AND leave some feedback! :school:

Delta V
01-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Mix 1: Solid mixing and sound throughout the entire mix. To me it really kicked up around half way through, some more interesting sounds in that half but still all the tracks have real similar sounds and vibes, wish it was switched up a bit more.

Mix 2: Huh both mixes starting out with raps that's pretty cool. Digging the tracklist so far, mixing not quite as tight as mix 1, I like how the songs are a bit more varied. kinda tuning out during the second half, or feeling the energy kinda dropping.

This was pretty tough, I liked each mix for different reasons, mix 1 had fantastic mixing, but I wish the tracks were more varied, mix 2 had more variety of tunes but not quite as tight mixing.

Gonna go with mix 1 for being cleaner and the set felt more complete so to speak, it fit well into the 25 min.

The Blackest
01-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback and thanks for voting! Have some rep!

01-20-2013, 11:44 AM
well seems like we have a winner! :zany: - thx for the battle, as said before it was nice to do something out of my comfort zone! And i really liked your selection, nice mix there!

If someone wants a tracklist i can post one up - btw mine was mix 1. If you want do do another battle feel free to call one out, always in for some 30 min mixes :)

The Blackest
01-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Congrats M:Cake! Solid mix! Wish there were more votes, but its all good. Not too many people on this forum care for D&B anymore. Oh well. Once again, thanks to the ones that gave us feed back!