PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Crown 802xls

djchristopher
02-19-2012, 07:53 PM
My amp recently has been acting up. I bridged it a few weeks ago and worked it pretty hard until it shutdown for a couple minutes on me. Since then channel two has been hit or miss when using it. Sometimes it will not work and every once in a while it works flawless for 4 hours plus. It's my stupid fault because I ran it bridged in 4ohms and it is only stable at 8ohms. I got a deal on this amp and love it so my question is has anybody had a similar problem? How much does a repair usually cost? What really sucks is the only repair shop in my area is 60 miles away and they always want bench time before they will even quote you. If repairing an amp is ridiculously expensive then I guess I will just replace it.

windspeed36
02-20-2012, 03:47 AM
have you opened it up and had a look at it?

Incognito
02-20-2012, 06:55 AM
The Crown 802 XLS is around $400 new & even if you fix the amp it still doesn't give you the performance you require (thus the reason of its' failure), I would cut my losses & for that same $400 I would go out & buy a Peavey IPR 3000.

djchristopher
02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
I haven't opened it up because I really don't know anything about repairing. I only paid $280 for it used which is a great deal. The money has been made so it paid for itself, I just really like the amp. I have never used Peavey equipment, always been told to stay away from it.

djfaceatl
02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Actually Incognito is giving you solid advice on this one. I dont know who told you to stay away from Peavey gear. Peavey makes solid gear. Very trustworthy however, their speakers do not have the best sound quality in my opinion. Besides that, Peavey is solid
If that amp is not under warranty, you will find an $80 bench fee. Then parts and labor.
The IPR 3000 is only 7lbs on the other hand and very good quality
Good luck

unsafe8989
02-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Actually Incognito is giving you solid advice on this one. I dont know who told you to stay away from Peavey gear. Peavey makes solid gear. Very trustworthy however, their speakers do not have the best sound quality in my opinion. Besides that, Peavey is solid
If that amp is not under warranty, you will find an $80 bench fee. Then parts and labor.
The IPR 3000 is only 7lbs on the other hand and very good quality
Good luck
Have a pair Great amps.

djchristopher
02-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Actually after talking with a tech from the closest repair shop, I believe my amp is stuck in protect mode. Both red lights come on before the amp is on and ready. The amp definately doesn't have the power it should. Any way to get the amp out of protect mode or do I still need to bring it in?

Incognito
02-27-2012, 04:39 AM
Actually after talking with a tech from the closest repair shop, I believe my amp is stuck in protect mode. Both red lights come on before the amp is on and ready. The amp definately doesn't have the power it should. Any way to get the amp out of protect mode or do I still need to bring it in?

Protect mode is a sign something is damaged inside, it needs to be serviced but as I suggested before you'll be better off just upgrading to something like the Peavey IPR 3000.