PDA

View Full Version : Raising the bar

DJStevieRay
02-19-2012, 07:47 PM
I had the pleasure of attending a surprise 40th Birthday party for a friend of my wife.

They had inquired about me providing service, but instead opted to hire another DJ due to fitting their budget better. So I had the pleasure of learning from one of my competitors. I did learn a lot. I learned you should play as much obscure 70's rock, and 80's country music that you can get your hands on. I learned if you play something from the past decade, that you should make it Red solo Cup and play it 3 times during a 4 hour party. I also found out if someone asks for something to dance to, make sure the only thing in your library that fits the bill is Gaga Just Dance.

I learned when your tops seriously lack any bass. Just stick them on the floor (no coupling them to the floor did not help), it just made the horns not so harsh. I am not sure the model of JBL's, but I am sure with proper EQing they could have sounded better.

I learned that your setup should be as small as possible, so you can line up plates of food, and drinks, including a "red solo cup".

I learned if you sit with your face glued to the computer, with your forehead resting on your hand, you look like you are really concentrating on your performance.

I learned that if you are not going to cover system with a facade, or a tablecloth or skirt. Then why bother hiding wires, or wearing something nice.

I learned you can still DJ from a Dell running Windows 98 and Winamp.

Most importantly, I learned I spend to much time and money making my system nice and professional. When I could go out with $300 worth of equipment and make $300 a night.

http://www.stevierayentertainment.com/pics/bar1.jpg

http://www.stevierayentertainment.com/pics/bar2.jpg

Stirred
02-19-2012, 07:55 PM
:lol:

and hopefully... the client learned: "you get what you pay for"...

Mike D
02-19-2012, 08:12 PM
I learned you can still DJ from a Dell running Windows 98 and Winamp.

Ha.. this made me laugh because I forgot Winamp even existed, but it did rock several house parties of mine in college back around Y2K.

Not that there is any excuse, but did the bday person like Red Solo Cup or obscure 70's music?

My wife's co-worker had a wedding last year we went to, the DJ had speakers about the size of the Bose shelf units, but I think they were MTX or something similar, were using 2 - 5 disc CD changers for playing songs and had a police beacon and 2 small par cans for lights. They were AWESOME!

DJStevieRay
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Actually, the Birthday Boy's wife who hired the entertainment said "I wish I would have booked you". That tells me that was not the music they were looking for. I also did 1/2 dozen Weddings for couples that were in attendence. All of which were great dance parties, with alot of current music.

LiteTrix
02-19-2012, 09:40 PM
ahahahahahahahahahaha. Thanks for the laugh Stevie. I've been feeling down tonight, but you cheered me up!

DJStevieRay
02-19-2012, 09:50 PM
No problem, that is why I made it, I thought it was amusing.

Unknown DJ
02-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Winamp it kicks the Lamas but!!!!

I still use it when I'm listening to music or I just need some background music at a party.

djscrizzle
02-20-2012, 01:27 AM
@Unknown:
:tup: Same here...

DutchApples
02-20-2012, 03:44 AM
This is pretty funny. Thanks for taking pictures!

DJMC
02-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Not to sound negative here --

But in my case -- I would not have gone to the party! Why? Because chances are, I would have booked another event so I'm not concerned about the one that got away.

YGWYPF always applies to DJs under $500.

Instead of worrying about what the low-priced bottom-feeder competition -- I would have spent that Saturday either doing another gig (or working on my web site's links to gain more SEO presence).

DJStevieRay
02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I actually spent the day with my family, and we went to the party from 7-9pm, so it was a good day.

Sween
02-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Oh my God. I would have seriously called that guy out.

He gives us all a bad name....

Djmike209
02-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I always wonder if I see those guys if going over and giving them some advise if worth my breathe. Every time I see another Dj I try to learn from the good and bad.

fueledbymusic
02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I think at least 90% of audience couldn't care any less what you have. LOL:lol:

DJ Boom Bap
02-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Oh damn......

windspeed36
02-20-2012, 02:00 PM
This reminds me of a party from when I was younger, a friend wanted to hire speakers and lighting from me for her party and someone else was DJing. I ended up playing the entire night off my iPhone... Dj made $400 for playing 8 songs which people didn't even want to hear

fueledbymusic
02-20-2012, 04:04 PM
This reminds me of a party from when I was younger, a friend wanted to hire speakers and lighting from me for her party and someone else was DJing. I ended up playing the entire night off my iPhone... Dj made $400 for playing 8 songs which people didn't even want to hear What happens when someone calls you on your iphone while your playing that song you really were dying to show off LOL

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Absolutely disgusting.

windspeed36
02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
What happens when someone calls you on your iphone while your playing that song you really were dying to show off LOL

This sir, is why they invented airplane mode

Stirred
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM

But in my case -- I would not have gone to the party! Why? Because chances are, I would have booked another event so I'm not concerned about the one that got away.

Instead of worrying about what the low-priced bottom-feeder competition -- I would have spent that Saturday either doing another gig (or working on my web site's links to gain more SEO presence).

Not always true... most of my non wedding gigs are under $500. About to up rates for basic parties though... the standard around here is $75/hour for parties ... roughly $125/hour for weddings.

Funny thing is... alot of the "Mobile Ent" companies in the DC area charging 1K plus for standard events are the typical "Laptop DJs"

Sween
02-20-2012, 06:15 PM
This reminds me of a party from when I was younger, a friend wanted to hire speakers and lighting from me for her party and someone else was DJing. I ended up playing the entire night off my iPhone... Dj made $400 for playing 8 songs which people didn't even want to hear

You must not have been that much younger if you had an iPhone!

Adam B
02-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the laugh on this post, made my day, lol.

Al Poulin
02-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Not always true... most of my non wedding gigs are under $500. About to up rates for basic parties though... the standard around here is $75/hour for parties ... roughly $125/hour for weddings.

Funny thing is... alot of the "Mobile Ent" companies in the DC area charging 1K plus for standard events are the typical "Laptop DJs"

I would have to agree with this. My average price for the ''anniversary'' type gig is around 450$ while weddings vary between 700-900$. I am not an entertainer that plays games with guests however, or the MC and I don't do any uplighting. I advise all of my clients of that fact before they book me. I will tell them I am a very experienced DJ (22 years) with excellent quality gear and music and that I play only the best and most popular hits for all ages (and requests) so everyone has a good time. I don't have 100,000 songs and don't use a computer. The 3500 songs I do have are all CD quality and legal. (I use Minidisc and original CDs are my formats of choice) My setup is clean and simple and I have a backup on site for every piece at all events as well as a variety of LED special effect lights available. I feel my prices are fair for what I do and I have a much better sounding and better looking setup than this nightmare DJ...

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

DJStevieRay
02-20-2012, 09:42 PM

Hey I am a laptop DJ, but far from Typical, 90% of my events have 4 moving heads, uplighting, and Monogram projection, the other 10% add LED TV's, and Music Video.

PS. As a "Typical Laptop DJ" I played events from 1988-2000 on a pair of 1200's, in 2000 I switched over to (2) CDJ's, in 2007 I switched over to (2) Laptops, and in 2012 I switch to 2 MBP's, and just ordered a Rane Sixty Eight to pilot them. Not so typical I guess.

Stirred
02-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Hey I am a laptop DJ, but far from Typical, 90% of my events have 4 moving heads, uplighting, and Monogram projection, the other 10% add LED TV's, and Music Video.

PS. As a "Typical Laptop DJ" I played events from 1988-2000 on a pair of 1200's, in 2000 I switched over to (2) CDJ's, in 2007 I switched over to (2) Laptops, and in 2012 I switch to 2 MBP's, and just ordered a Rane Sixty Eight to pilot them. Not so typical I guess.

:lol: when I say laptop DJ... I was referring to the type which this thread was started! lol

DJStevieRay
02-20-2012, 10:35 PM
No worries. I was just picking on you, I know there are alot of Laptop haters here.

c-hawk
02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
You must not have been that much younger if you had an iPhone!

Indeed:teef:

windspeed36
02-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I think it was '08 or '09... 17 then.. 21 now.. Anything before the age when you can drink legally is young to me :P

Mike D
02-21-2012, 08:59 PM

yeah... you come off as overly negative here... he went to a party for a friend and shared the crap DJ with us... no need to tell him how you wouldn't have gone because you would have been working on getting better jobs. There's more to life then DJ'ing every weekend.

DJMC
02-22-2012, 10:37 AM
yeah... you come off as overly negative here... he went to a party for a friend and shared the crap DJ with us... no need to tell him how you wouldn't have gone because you would have been working on getting better jobs. There's more to life then DJ'ing every weekend.

I'm just sayin' ---- that prospect (friend, whatever) got what they deserved. No need to rub their nose in it.

And there is a 90% probability that I would have been out WORKING -- in the unlikely event that I wasn't, I would not wanna see the train wreck. (The 10% of Saturdays that I have off, I can find better things to do than be a looky-loo at a gig that I didn't get)