PDA

View Full Version : performing my work

Codabass
01-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Hey all,

My name is Richard, and I produce music (mostly tripstep style in ableton). I have come to the point where i have a lot of material, and would like to get out, and start performing it.. I have looked a few options, and am looking for a way to perform my work - and make it sound awesome... My issue is - with most of my free time, I need to spend it creating material. For that reason, I just don't have the time to learn how to be an awesome dj... I also do not want to get up on stage, and just hit "play". I found one easy solution for me is to use ableton live - and have it interface to my APC40... using dj-templates ableton takes care of the beatmatching, etc... Any of you guys do that? Also, what do most producers do w/ their original material? Should I be simply beatmatching, adding some sparkling effects here and there... or should I be mashing 2 songs together? mainly, I am looking for any tips on how to perform my stuff... Right now, I think I could use any tips in terms of performing - big time...

Thanks guys,

and PS: My stuff is here... oh, and if any of you DJ's like it, let me know, I can get you high quality wavs as well...

www.codabass.com

Peace
Richard

borrow
01-06-2013, 07:12 PM
I am no expert on ableton and live preforming with it so i can't help you with that. (I use flstudio for production and traktor/pioneer for preforming)

As far as DJing goes every one has his own style. I like using 2+ decks and mash up stuff using loops and i also like to switch up my music pretty fast but not to fast:P
Anyway you need to find out what kind a of style djingyou like te most mashing 2 songs together is a fun way to get the crowd interested especialy if its some stuff they know.
But you can do what ever you like there so many ways of djing just find the right way for you practise practise practise ;)

Also the most importtant thing a dj needs to do is don't confuse the people dancing ;)

drop1
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Plenty of people perform exactly as you mentioned using midi controllers to launch loops and samples. Nothing wrong with that if you can do it in a manor that makes sense.

DJ Nada
01-22-2013, 07:42 PM
If you want to be a DJ, you should be willing to put in the time to learn how to be a DJ. So my advice would be: Learn how to DJ properly.

Andrew B
01-22-2013, 08:25 PM
You have Ableton and an APC already, so perform it "live." Trigger clips, change your songs around, mash a couple up, etc. Don't just play a track then mix it into another. You're not a DJ, so do something creative with the equipment you have (which is perfect for this type of thing).

Atomisk
01-23-2013, 02:34 PM
You have Ableton and an APC already, so perform it "live." Trigger clips, change your songs around, mash a couple up, etc. Don't just play a track then mix it into another. You're not a DJ, so do something creative with the equipment you have (which is perfect for this type of thing).

Pretty much this. OP - you're looking into something called a "PA Set" - Breaking up your originals into stems and loops or even playing parts yourself. What you're trying to go for isn't DJing - Its live production.