PDA

View Full Version : What cans do you use for production?

OONS
01-03-2013, 01:13 PM
My first proper set of cans was the Technics RP-DH1200. I used these for DJing and for listening to music and really love how they sound with strong but not overpowering bass. Unfortunately, they suck in terms of durability as I'm on my 3rd pair now in 6 years (weak plastic points which a redesign could really fix). Then when I began to produce music, I found that having these sit on top of my head for an extended period of time (anything over 1-2 hours), would cause pain on the top of my head, so I would have to shift the headband back and forth on my head every 20 minutes or so. In addition to that, over time it squeezed on the side of my head a bit too tight. I have a bit of a big head haha.

A year ago, I had received the V-Moda Crossfade LP1 which I had hoped sounded as good as they looked. The LP1 was terrible for my DJing, but great and comfortable for ****** music listening. However, the Crossfade LP1 is really lacking in bass compared to the Technics RP-DH1200's and becomes fairly useless for me for music production or serious listening.

What I'm looking for is a recommendation for a pair of cans that have a similar sound to the Technics RP-DH1200 (good solid bass), but that are comfortable for listening to for an extended period of time (so I guess either a larger headband or headphones that are not as heavy). I'd prefer something that is over ear as opposed to on-ear so that people around me won't be bothered by my sounds/tunes.

Thanks to anyone for any advice. And I'm also curious to hear any personal recommendations.

Cheers.

thehadgi
01-03-2013, 01:29 PM
A popular reccomendation is the Sony MDR 7506's, which I have and absolutely love. Although I usually play stuff over my monitors, I'll check it on the cans here and there. They're pretty comfortable for a good period of time I've found. And
as far as your comments about bass... the main point of production monitors are to be 'flat', so that you are getting closer to the 'true' frequency reproduction of your production. A perceived lack of bass is pretty common when first getting accustomed to studio monitors, because we're all used to hearing things on systems that usually auto-boost bass and sub-bass frequencies.

Not sure if that's the answer you're looking for? but yeah I'd recommend the 7506's. 100 bucks, lasted me for the past two years and in great shape, and my ears know the frequency response they put out and I can compare reference tracks on them to my own productions

Paulie65m
01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
I have rp1200 for 6 years still strong even go snowboarding with them and use them daily. Now I just use them for only djing since I got audio technica 50s but they are not bassy at all

Edit : misread model rp dj1200 are awesome for price

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JackStalk
01-03-2013, 01:31 PM
I use HDJ-1000s when I'm on the go. They're not the best, but I can usually get the gist of everything before I send it over to my home computer for final tweaking.

OONS
01-03-2013, 01:42 PM
And as far as your comments about bass... the main point of production monitors are to be 'flat', so that you are getting closer to the 'true' frequency reproduction of your production. A perceived lack of bass is pretty common when first getting accustomed to studio monitors, because we're all used to hearing things on systems that usually auto-boost bass and sub-bass frequencies.

hadgi, I've also heard this, and have tried using flatter frequency headphones for this reason (V-Moda LP1's). However, I've found that I'm so used to a solid amount of bass, that I end up eqing my basslines and track in such a fashion, that I re-create this heavy bass. Then when I listen to it on my main sound-system (with subwoofer) or my Technics RP-DH1200's, the bass is waaaaay too overpowering. This is why I'd like to hear what I produce in the same fashion of how I hear my music in the first place.

DJ Higgumz
01-04-2013, 09:37 PM
@OONS then what you want to do is use your headphones for your everyday listening!! you will get used to the new headphones within a week, and be able to reference easily at maybe 3 months of use, considering use is total maybe 5 hours a week

Sedna
01-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Sony MDR-V6. I love them, and they sport a completely reasonable pricetag for the quality. I even spin with them sometimes.

Phil Noize
01-11-2013, 01:15 AM
The V-Moda Crossfades are definitely not lacking bass. They have too much IMO.

I'd go for the Sony MDR7506s, Sennheiser HD25s or Beyerdynamic DT1350s ... they all have a pretty flat response.

ser182
01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Panny HTF 600. Above average for the price.

thehadgi
01-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Oonz have you decided to follow good practice and try to get used to flat freq response yet? ;) ;)

Nicadraus
01-19-2013, 01:03 PM
I use the same headphone for DJing. Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. Although I only use headphones for quick editing and when I'm not home (at airports and out of town trips). But when I'm producing or remixing, I use my monitor speakers (KRK ST-8) especially when mastering. :)