PDA

View Full Version : Help me not max my speakers out at the club!

djcarloni
02-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi all. Im currently in with a problem. Im running an event this saturday at a local club but the amps and speakers are all old and I have managed to reach the limiters on the speakers 3 times in one night!

I have attached a picture of the amps. I have recently fitted 2 extra speakers to the dance floor mids amp but they keep maxing out before the dance floor ones. I want to maybe add these speakers to another amp so the theres not as much power going to them?

amp 1 - 4small speakers at front of bar
amp 2- 4 mid speakers at side of dance floor
amp 3 - 2 mid speakers on dance floor + 2 more full range speakers ive added
amp 4 - 2 large bass speakers on dance floor

I was thinking about adding them to amp number 1 at the top as there wont be much wattage going to these if they are only small speakers?

help! lol

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/gapyx

Incognito
02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
No where near enough information provided to offer a proper solution but you may just be att the limit of what the system is capable of as is & require a full upgrade rather then any band aid fix.

djcarloni
02-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Tell me what information you need and ill get it. Full upgrade is not an option at this time. just need to find a solution to stop the 2 extra speakers maxing out for saturday. cheers

windspeed36
02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Power ratings for the speakers and power ratings at 20hz-20khz at both 4 and 8ohm for the amps

fueledbymusic
02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Set the volume lower on the problem speakers. Or just dont use those problem ones. Thats all I can think of

djcarloni
02-20-2012, 02:41 AM
I would just remove the problem speakers but they give a big boost to the sound. If they had their own separate volume controller id be fine but unfortunately not. Ill try and get the power ratings for everything today

Incognito
02-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Rent (borrow) a dedicated amp for the extra speakers & use the aux out or booth to control the levels of the speakers, or simply rent (borrow) better speakers for the night.

fueledbymusic
02-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I would just remove the problem speakers but they give a big boost to the sound. If they had their own separate volume controller id be fine but unfortunately not. Ill try and get the power ratings for everything today I can see that there are no volume controls on the amps in picture, am I correct? Well in that case I think the only thing that can be done is live with it for the night. What ever volume the problem speakers can take. You can might as well just stop there. (small speaker reaches full potential while the other is 50% potential) Although it obviously the system can go louder. But it probably better to have a good balanced sound at lower volume than to have too much bass and too little mids and highs for that example

djcarloni
02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Ok ive been down today... What ive managed to do is turn down the channel volume to these extra speakers via the amp but keep all the others still loud. Ive taken the volume of these down to 50% so hope they dont max out saturday! We have about 300 coming down so it will be embarassing if it all messes up!

Incognito
02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Ok ive been down today... What ive managed to do is turn down the channel volume to these extra speakers via the amp but keep all the others still loud. Ive taken the volume of these down to 50% so hope they dont max out saturday! We have about 300 coming down so it will be embarassing if it all messes up!

Wait... You have 14 speakers for only a crowd of 300????

windspeed36
02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
The way he's worded it seems almost like he's bi-amping or tri-amping the system

Incognito
02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
The way he's worded it seems almost like he's bi-amping or tri-amping the system

Some pictures would help.

djcarloni
02-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Yes. we are very limited. I could really do with some more but the bar arent willing to spend anymore money.

Each amp has 4 speakers hooked up to it. 2 on each channel. There are 2 bass, 8 midrange, and 4 small speakers at the front of the bar.

What do you mean by bi and tri amping?

Incognito
02-20-2012, 05:26 PM
What do you mean by bi and tri amping?
Bi-amp is where you have full range tops to take care of your mids & highs while your subs take care of the bass using a dedicated amp for your tops, a dedicated amp for your bass & an active crossover or DSP. Tri amping is where you have seperate tweeters for the highs, seperate cabinets for the mids & then your bass cabinets (can also be full range tops, mid bass then subs depending on the given crossover points) with dedicated amps & an active crossover or DSP.

Bi-Amp
http://www.soundsavers.com/images/1000/1000/8236.jpg

Tri-Amp
http://www.performanceaudio.com/images/products/100/18705_f.jpg

djcarloni
02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
ah thanks for that. obviously im bi amping then. I think the only option may be to hook another amp upto the booth output on my djm800 and rig some speakers to that

Incognito
02-20-2012, 06:10 PM
ah thanks for that. obviously im bi amping then. I think the only option may be to hook another amp upto the booth output on my djm800 and rig some speakers to that

There you go, but you'll require another amp or use powered speakers.