PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Ellissentials‎ vs Rick_N - Breaks & House battle

JonAvalon
02-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/rickn-vs-ellisentials-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/rickn-vs-ellisentials-2.mp3)

Rules:
- Both genres of Breaks and House are required (any sub genre)
- Duration: 30 minutes (no mixing after 30 minute mark)
- Any hardware (vinyl / dvs / midi) but must do recording in one take, no post editing
- Must use at least 1 acapella

mix4fix
02-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Mix #1.

Rick_N
02-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for listining and voting. +rep

We need some more voters, come on guys both these mixes are well done!

The Baxter
02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Ill post up a review and vote, if ya'll do us the same courtesy over in our battle.

Rick_N
02-19-2012, 08:19 PM
You got it:tup:

The Baxter
02-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Mix one - had a funky vibe, good flow and was technically sound. A drift here and there, but it means nothing because they were corrected on the spot, gives it a live feel, which i like (i am guessing a dvs setup)

Mix two - some good tunes, too electro heavy for my taste. Not as much variety as mix one. The mixing was technically sound, but boring. The first three tracks all played for at least 5 mins each, that's half your set right there. IMO, you should be bringing those tunes in much sooner for more dynamic mixing.

Vote goes to 1.

Rick_N
02-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks for voting. +rep

sense
02-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Mix one - had a funky vibe, good flow and was technically sound. A drift here and there, but it means nothing because they were corrected on the spot, gives it a live feel, which i like (i am guessing a dvs setup)

Mix two - some good tunes, too electro heavy for my taste. Not as much variety as mix one. The mixing was technically sound, but boring. The first three tracks all played for at least 5 mins each, that's half your set right there. IMO, you should be bringing those tunes in much sooner for more dynamic mixing.

Vote goes to 1.

voting for mix 1 pretty much for the same reasons stated above.

de.j.l
02-20-2012, 10:34 AM
mix #2 because all the cool kids are doing it.

Ocie
02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
overall, it was a tough choice. I had to go back and listen to both mixes. but in my defense, i'm no breaks expert ha.

mix 1: sweet tracks, the energy was smooth. i got into the mix a lot in the last 10 minutes, but i the beat did sound off for awhile around the 25-26 minute mark. sorta killed the vibe for me. although, funky tracks.

mix 2: this was technically sound. i think more variety in your track selection would have been better. i didn't get into the mix until the around the 20 minute mark. but, once i got into the mix, it sold me.

end of the day, two gets my vote.

Stripe
02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
dug them both, like the variety of mix one, and the flow of mix two.

Ellissentials
02-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Thanks everyone for listening and commenting so far :tup:

Poll is still open until the 29th, so let's get some more action in this battle thread!

Rick_N
02-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Yep a little late morning bump doesnt hurt.

Synergy
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Mix one - Harmonically mixing the tracks together would work but those first two tracks did not go to well together, the colombo track is pretty dope though. The second mix was brought in and the mix was pretty solid, again trying to short mix the tracks but this one worked better than the last one. The mixing up until around 10 minutes are left is okay when the house beat comes in you can tell it's off...you rode it out so it worked but it was off pretty much the entire mix there, try eying to fix that. :) What accapella did you use?

Mix two - The effects you used in your first track went pretty flawlessly so thats good. The mix from first track to the second was pretty much flawless. The energy from track one to two was a big jump however. Second mix was okay, heard it coming in but it worked out. also it sounded like you were speeding up a track or something? Most of your tracks had that filters, gritty bass, while thats cool its like dubstep, gets old kinda fast. more variety would be better :) the track at 20 min was pretty dope though. The mix from that track to the next though was a little off, the highs seemed to clash, maybe it was a volume issue? Overall it was good, also accapella did you use?

I think its tough, if it were on the basis of mixing, id give it to mix 2, but mix 1 had variety. mix one is the one that will get my vote.

Rick_N
02-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks for voting man...ill throw you some rep

ChrisHynds
02-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Only just seen this, Ill give a listen and drop a vote asap :)

Rick_N
02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Cool man, appreciate it

ChrisHynds
02-26-2012, 10:08 PM
OK Im doing this back to front as mix 1 was taking forever to load so -

Mix 2 - Major Points for opening with Tokyo B&L remix massive track :) also nice use of effects, not sure about the acapella mixed through the track, but well executed, 2nd track is filthy :) mixing was spot on, mixing throught is solid on this set, track selection wasnt my cup of tea but wont affect my overall decision, effects where used well, maintained a solid flow throughout with a lot of variation in mixing techniques used, solid set mate good work :)

Updated :-

Mix 1 - First transition wasnt great the 2 tracks didnt mesh well, lost a lot of energy @ the drop, trackselection on this set is really getting me groovin, a lot more than mix 1, mixing in general isnt bad, a few questionable mixes, the first transition and near the end there's some drifting, like previously stated tho I actually like hearing this, proves that we are all human and adds that live feel :)

Overall - tough choice on this 1, both are good sets, apart from the first transition mix 1 gets it for style and flow imo, tracklist goes to mix1, technically mix 2 is superior but never got me moving as much so Im gonna have to go with mix 1 - tough choice tho good mixes guys :)

ChrisHynds
02-27-2012, 02:22 AM
would love if you guys could return the favour on the battle between Sedna & Myself :)

Rick_N
02-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Thanks for voting, and I'll check your battle out in the morning:tup:

Rick_N
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks everyone for voting, if you need a tracklist just let me know. Mix 1 was mine and i'm glad most of you dug it!