PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting KLH vs DJ Nada vs Baller95 - EPIC NYE Mix Battle

JonAvalon
12-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/KLH-vs-djnada-vs-baller95-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/KLH-vs-djnada-vs-baller95-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/KLH-vs-djnada-vs-baller95-3.mp3)

The point of this battle will be to highlight mixing skills.

Rules:
* The mix will be at least 15 minutes with the last track playing or starting during the 15th minute. This means that as long as the last track is playing or starting between 15:00 and 15:59, the mix will qualify to compete.
* Music can be played via any sound source, but must be recorded live. This means that TT, CDJ, DJ app, DVS or mobile device can be used, but the performance must be recorded live in one continuous take.
* No post-production is allowed. This means that no DAWs or DAEs can be used to edit the mix in any way. Yes, that means no normalization either. Record it raw and send it raw. We likes it raw.
* The Track list will be published up front. No remixes are allowed. This is an apples-to-apples mixing contest, peeps.
* The mix must play at least 7 of the 12 tracks. YOU DO NOT NEED TO PLAY ALL TWELVE TRACKS! You do not have to play the entire track.
* Winner gets a year of bragging rights AND the knowledge that his/her mix will be played worldwide during countless NYE parties including at Space, Pasha, and The Guvernment.

TRACK LIST:

TRACK
BPM
Year

Michael Jackson - Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough

K.C. & the Sunshine Band - Get Down Tonight

C & C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax (Don't Do It)

Madonna - Holiday

BlackBox - Strike It Up

Lady Gaga - Just Dance

Kool & The Gang - Celebration

Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling

Pink - Get The Party Started

Lmfao - Party Rock Anthem

Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger

KLH
12-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Thank you JonAvalon! Good luck bishes!

-KLH

DJ Nada
12-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I played most of my routine tonight, and the dance floor loved it. So even if I loose here, I already won. :-)

What equipment are you guys using?

Baller95
12-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Just listened to all, I think all were pretty good but we could def do better! KLH, I've heard your other mixes and it was good but I know this wasn't your best work, Nada I've never heard your mixes although this was good I'm sure you could prob do better aswell. As for me, this was my second take on this mix and think I could have definately done better too. It's a fair match IMO and we'll see what others think! :) (we must have all been tired or hungover from this Christmas week :lol:)

Edit: I can't rep either one of you for these, gotta spread some love first :shrug:

KLH
12-29-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm about to listen guys, so the best of luck to you. Hey Baller95, I literally threw those songs together, analyzed, and mixed. While it's not my best with practice, it does reflect where I truly am skills wise.

Let's do this!

-KLH

KLH
12-29-2012, 08:20 AM
I played most of my routine tonight, and the dance floor loved it. So even if I loose here, I already won. :-)
Yep. That's the way I feel about it. We all win.

I used Traktor Pro 2.6 and the Kontrol S4. For those wondering, there was no sync, quantize, or snap. Ears or tears.

-KLH

Baller95
12-29-2012, 09:58 AM

Right now I'm using my iPad 2 using djay for iPad, I use the AIODJ Pro cable/adapter to cue my tracks and Sony MDR-ZX300 headphones which I think I'll soon be upgrading. I used to use traktor pro on my laptop but I'm unable to now and I've mentioned why in my introduction (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?12459-Hello-all!-)&highlight=Baller95). I think I do alright with the stuff I got now I'll see if I can use a controller (iDJPro! (http://www.numark.com/product/idjpro)) in the future!

Hey Baller95, I literally threw those songs together, analyzed, and mixed. While it's not my best with practice, it does reflect where I truly am skills wise.
Yeah it's really good for on the go mixing forsure! Mine was second time around when I submitted the first I listened and decided it wasnt too good lol :p

Good luck boys! :tup:

M!TCH
12-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Mix 1: Not digging the first mix and C&C was pulled out too quick. Second mix was better just because I did not know wtf happened :teef: Third mix got past me because I was in another tab. Little off beat there for a second but by far the best transition you've had so far. Fourth transition, much better. Sounds like you're getting into the groove of things. I like what you did there in the fifth mix. Sixth mix worked decent, wasn't a huge fan of the scratch and I think you could have rode out the MJ track a bit longer. You're going to get bonus points if no LMFAO in this...last transition, like the subtlety of the melody from Like Jagger track, you should not have pulled out the first track so quick though.

Mix 2: First transition there worked out well. The C&C track vocal there was well played. Got me anticipating it. Digging the transition into C&C. You're slaying these transitions. I don't spin this kind of stuff so I give you props on being creative. Another impressive transition (once again, saying that because I would have choo choo'd this whole mix had I joined). Mix at 10:30 sounds off beat for a little bit. Transition into I Gotta Feeling was decent (just delay). NOOOOOO not LMFAO.

Mix 3: You did not overdo the repeat at the beginning which worked well. That first transition did not work for me, kind of too abrupt and a bit of an issue with levels. You were subtle bringing in Just Dance, oh massive clashing going on for a second there. The MJ transition came in a bit too high and sounded just a bit out of sync. Better transition into Celebration but check the levels as both tracks together were quite loud in my Senn's. Feels like the delay is a bit overused in transitions (just nit picking here). A bit off beat on transition into Moves Like Jagger. The transition into I Gotta Feeling worked. Another delay transition though. Mix at 13:11 is off beat. Mix at 15:30 also sounded off beat.

Vote in order, Mix #2, #3, #1

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
12-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Thank you gentlemen.I voted for Mix#2..... At the end of the day.I would like to learn on how Mix#1 was recorded.:tup:

jz416
12-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Voted for #2, i liked #3 alot as well but #2 just felt cleaner. Really liked the beginning of #3 and though i was gonna end up voting for it but there were definitely some level problems which in a large club could really do damage. Just made a thread regarding ringing ears after a night at the guvernment. Also I felt as in #3 the transitions felt really close to perfect but in a lot of them i just kept thing if only this wasnt there or if only it was just a little tighter.

recess
12-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Is this actually gonna be played at guv? if so how..

Baller95
12-30-2012, 08:39 AM

Theyre gonna let us DJ there for one night! :lol:

Zafire
12-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Reviewed while listening.

Mix 1 : First transition i dunno what happened there but it didn't work very well in my eyes. Second transition was much cleaner than the first although like M!tch i have no idea what happened there! Third transition was smoother, not perfect but much much smoother. Each transition has been better than the last so far so by the end i'm expecting big things :dance: Loved the fourth transition there, nice spin back? Fifth transition was clean.Sixth transition was nice, not perfect but was nice. Seventh transition was nice how it started out, i'd have looped like jagger though to allow a smoother pull out of BEP. All in all was an enjoyable mix to listen to with various different types of transitions so good job!

Mix 2 : First transition was awesome. Loved that.Second transition C&C in the background there... you teasing me brah? the transition itself is pretty solid too. Third transition awesome. Nuff said. Fourth again solid. The mix out of Lady Gaga could have been much tighter, didn't leave it in for too long so it isn't as bad as it could have been.Only transition that i've noticed as being off.Liked the BEP transition. LMFAO... Overall Good job :dance:

Mix 3 : Nice start to the mix :tup: First transition wasn't too bad imo levels were slightly off but i liked how you left the other track in the background.LG in back ground teasing Second transition starts off well... but then it clashes. Levels seem slightly off in next transition then it kinda dips to where it should have been. Next transition was smoother, again not perfect but it wasn't bad either. LG sounded decent in the background but when it came to actually bringing it in it was off. Not sure about the filter being used.Next transition was clean. Oh no what happened, into LMFAO was a bit of a train wreck tbh just didn't work for me i'm afraid. Final transition i can see what you were trying to do so :tup: for being creative but it just was a bit off beat.

Overall good job all of you. For me though mix 2 is my choice, due to overall being a cleaner mix.

Must give more rep before giving to KLH & Baller95 again :furious:

Dix
12-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Do we know who done each mix? OR is that supposed to be a secret till the results are in to prevent any biased voting? I am an old school wedding DJ so I don't know anything about mixing but I understand somewhat about whats supposed to happen. I have already listened to each one with my wife & we have voted.
I have to say that I never cared much about this modern style of music but over the last few months, I have listened to a few old school mixes its growing on me. Kudos to each of you. :)

Baller95
12-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Removed.

M!TCH
12-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Mines the [removed] lol

:facepalm:

Do not tell people which one yours was until it is over.

Baller95
12-30-2012, 11:58 AM
:facepalm:

Do not tell people which one yours was until it is over.

Oops!

Zafire
12-30-2012, 12:17 PM
:lol:

KLH
12-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I know a guy...

-KLH

SpookieMcGee
12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
I like Mix #1 because it's the best. SpookieMcGee has spoken.

MikeHunt
12-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Mix 1 and done. Mix 2 is crap. Mix 3 is good, but Mix 1 is better.

This is Mike Hunt coming at 'cha!

KLH
12-30-2012, 05:27 PM
SpookieMcGee and MikeHunt, welcome to DJF!

It's interesting that you both like Mix #1...

-KLH

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
there is some suspicious trolling going on in here! did one of you gentlemen, get your friends to sign up to DjF,just to cast votes?:freak:

M!TCH
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Someone definitely made those two accounts or had friends sign on. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure you have to have 50 posts to vote for a mix that is counted in the final tally. I will say though, it looks mighty shady especially considering Mix #1 hasn't received any votes.

Dix
12-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Looks like the list of rules are growing for the next battle....

Baller95
12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Hmm, interesting!

KLH
12-30-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm OUTRAGED by this!

I demand a recount! I demand an investigation! I demand a...

http://www.gregwilson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/everything-is-a-remix.jpg

Hey, Baller95 and DJ Nada, are you down for closing this and doing another battle with same rules - but remixes allowed? We can open it up to others who want to battle too.

Let's have fun with this.

-KLH

jz416
12-30-2012, 05:49 PM
who won? (if the voting has ended)

KLH
12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
^ Voting hasn't ended yet, but the dimpled chads are suspect...

-KLH

Baller95
12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm down! Let's do this! :tup::banana:

jz416
12-30-2012, 05:58 PM
^ Voting hasn't ended yet, but the dimpled chads are suspect...

-KLH
You mean the two consecutive posts by people with a post count of 1 and theyre both for mix #1.
http://choke-lahoma.com/pictures/something-smells-fishy-and-it-certainly-isnt-fish.jpg

DJ Nada
12-30-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm in for a new battle! Anybody else want some of this action?

KLH
12-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Just to clarify: The winner of this is still getting his mix played at the guv and the two others, Right?
You're going to be there, right? Can you let us know how they like it? I can't make it this NYE.

-KLH

jz416
12-30-2012, 08:10 PM
You're going to be there, right? Can you let us know how they like it? I can't make it this NYE.

-KLH

I was theyre 2 nights ago for an all ages event, as im 15.

Something tells me that the guv is not the place to try and play tricks if you catch my drift, i saw the bouncers in action and they didnt seem like dudes youd wanna play games with.

Long story short, unfortunately im 15, and will not be they're.

Baller95
12-30-2012, 08:16 PM
I was theyre 2 nights ago for an all ages event, as im 15.

Something tells me that the guv is not the place to try and play tricks if you catch my drift, i saw the bouncers in action and they didnt seem like dudes youd wanna play games with.

Long story short, unfortunately im 15, and will not be they're.

There**

I'm 17 and will be DJ'ing there so I'll hook you up! :P

jz416
12-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Im emberassed

Zander James
12-30-2012, 08:58 PM
U serious? Thats sick! Whats your dj name, like what do you go by at clubs? PM Me if your not allowed to post it or something (not sure if thats a rule, but some forums dont allow real life details)

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but I believe the line about the winning mix being played at some of the biggest name-brand clubs in the world is a complete troll. This competition is just for bragging rights and the ability to evaluate the mixing skills of the DJs who submitted mixes.

That being said I really enjoyed hearing all three of these mixes. It was pretty cool to hear tracks like these being mixed together as I am new to the forum and have never heard something like it before. Props to Nada, Baller, and KLH!

IMHO, Mix #2 was the cleanest but I really enjoyed the creativity and style of the beginning of the 3rd mix (I loved the first few transitions!). Mix #1 was a ton better than what I could do but its quality of recording seemed a bit off. There always seemed to be a background hum in my speakers when I listened to it. Did anyone else hear this?

Baller95
12-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Lol you're right! ^ sorry jz416!

jz416
12-30-2012, 09:30 PM
HAHA, its all fun and games i suppose.

BRB plotting revenge on all these evil people who now think im a total idiot.

BTW: whos mix is #1 (dont say till votings over if anyone still cares)
whoevers mix is #1 and got their friends to vote (if they were serious, if not all just come off as even stupider) deserves a stern talking to.

PS: inb4 stupider is not a word.

Dj broray
12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
too late to join if so ill just submit for shits and giggles

Baller95
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
too late to join if so ill just submit for shits and giggles

Nope you're not late!

jz416
12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
im down, maybe ill acheive some retribution :).
That is if i can use remixes as i cant mix anything well but electro hosue.

DJArmani
12-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Mix 1: Some of the transitions were smooth in the middle you were getting the groove of it. The end there was random scratching like in "I Gotta Feeling" and you should've rode out "I Gotta Feeling" a little bit longer instead of just cutting it.

Mix 2: The tracks were played a little too long but the transitions were clean. The transition from Just Dance into Good Times was a little off at first but other than that I didn't hear anything really bad.

Mix 3: Second track is played almost to the end. The transition into just dance was off, but the first transition was really smooth. Levels got a little funny after Just Dance but I like the transition. Alot of the transitions are just normal echo outs or effects.

My vote goes to mix 2.

KLH
12-31-2012, 01:15 PM
All right. I'm going to reach out to JonAvalon to close the battle.

It's time for a REMIX of this battle! Look for the call out!

-KLH