PDA

View Full Version : Why do people go to EDM shows?

bnr
02-19-2012, 04:30 AM
I'll get straight to the point.. if all the big EDM acts [mau5, avb, tiesto, above and beyond etc] didn't have huge, mesmerising lighting and pyrotechnic setups would as many people still go their shows?

The reason i ask is because when the mau5 was in south africa in december last year, i spoke to some people who went to the show and they were saying how amazing the lights and effects were. That was what they spoke about the most.

Nowadays it seems people go to a show or even a club night and stand there staring at the stage and the dj waiting for some fancy flashing thing to make them excited.

If that's the case then the lighting guy should be the headliner not the dj's.

So would the average attendee at these events still go if it was just the dj. No special lighting, big stages and no dj-god worshipping going on?

Or maybe i'm just getting old and bitter :teef:

PS. I mention deadmau5 just as an example. Pls don't turn this into a mau5-hate thread. We have skrillex for that now... Welcome to 2.0

lastcat
02-19-2012, 04:34 AM
I think its more of people just getting out and dancing/listening to music. Like some people Golf, Fish, Hunt. Some jive to the Lights and Music.

Bassline Brine
02-19-2012, 05:09 AM
It's a social thing (bonding with friends and meeting new people), enjoying a mutual interest thing (the music), some people are in it because they feel comfortable in the scene, and overall it's something to do/talk about.

I know people whom only go to those "big" shows, and then I know people who really only go to underground shows, and only put on by certain crews or if there is a specific genre of music being played. It really depends on the person I feel.

Personally, I go because I like to spend time with my friends, and it's a great reason for us all to get together. And I enjoy making new friends whom are interested in the same kind of stuff I am, the music. And it's a place where I can be silly and dance, and that's priceless.

There's a lot of reasons people do anything, or not to do something. Everyone has their own way.

Mahatma Coat
02-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Nowadays it seems people go to a show or even a club night and stand there staring at the stage and the dj waiting for some fancy flashing thing to make them excited.

So would the average attendee at these events still go if it was just the dj. No special lighting, big stages and no dj-god worshipping going on?

People used to go shows without the lights and big stages in their thousands, the shows were called raves.

Era 7
02-19-2012, 06:06 AM
i know way to many people that go to big shows to get shitfaced :facepalm:

Grifff
02-19-2012, 06:15 AM
I am really not a fan of the lighting and visual technology that goes on at DJ events these days. I would choose a dark and dingy warehouse over lights and visuals any day of the week

Quentin Legend
02-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Mmm..... I really like the lighting, I personally think it adds to the atmosphere.

Wakka
02-19-2012, 06:58 AM
uhm well the lights and stuff are cool, especially i it goes to the music, but im there for the music and meeting new people. the light show is just an added bonus.

TheFrenchWay
02-19-2012, 10:44 AM
It's entertainment after all. Some rock shows have intense flames, explosions and etc. all for the sake of our entertainment. Seeing a DJ you like plus some intense lighting and etc is something I would attend.

Badger
02-19-2012, 12:42 PM
I would much rather see an EDM performer (or a DJ) perform with an amazing light/screen show than something really meek and piddly. I'm a very "visual" person when it comes to experiences like that.

Since most EDM performers are stuck behind a console or table setup, without much movement, it's nice to be able to really "see" something from far away besides a guy standing there pushing keys and twisting knobs.

Even when I'm seeing an band that "gets out" on the stage, like Depeche Mode, the visuals are some of the most important elements of the show for me. If it weren't for the screen shows and the lights, concerts wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

:badger:

g-sep
02-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I mostly go to dance and meet artist's. Not like the huge guys that come around, but ones that play in smaller venues and are more likely to thank you for coming out. Big show's are alright, most of them around here are filled with people that just want to go out and be seen instead of actually caring about the music. It's whatever honestly, but I support the underground scene.

DJNR
02-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I actually thought about this same question. I go to shows, but honestly, it's for the the music and meeting new people. I think I would feel the same way if the artist was playing at a club or smaller venue because I don't really find myself attracted to big flashy lights. Sure, massive stages and lighting rigs are cool and definitely helps the image of whoever is playing, but I still think the music is more important.

Here's an example. When I went to EDC Vegas I saw all sorts of artists. One of the ones that I was told to go see was Skrillex. I knew Skrillex wasn't so great in his DJing skill, and I was right. He had one of the biggest stages at the venue, flashy lights and all, and not even that could impress me long enough to stay and watch him. Tiesto was a similar story; I left 10 minutes into his set and I was front row.

DJArmani
02-19-2012, 01:22 PM
I'd go for the music, and to shit on a DJ who can't mix like Sidney Samson :lol:

DJ Watty
02-19-2012, 01:36 PM
The lighting adds to it. Would as many people go? Good question. In my opinion, I don't think so. I want to go to Qlimax someday. Not because I think the mousic is better then anything I can listen to here in the USA. But because I want to see this damn light show in person! lol

http://youtu.be/8qeTEfOqB0A

Andrew B
02-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I thought people went to dance. :shrug:

Era 7
02-19-2012, 01:54 PM
The lighting adds to it. Would as many people go? Good question. In my opinion, I don't think so. I want to go to Qlimax someday. Not because I think the mousic is better then anything I can listen to here in the USA. But because I want to see this damn light show in person! lol

haha damn get in line i wanna go too. all in all b2s and qdance put on an epic show at all of their events be it hardbass, qlimax or defqon 1.

i'm still bummed that germany didn't get a Sensation NYE event 2011/2012. the Innerspace theme is EPIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIuRrG-ZCDY

Buszaj
02-19-2012, 03:14 PM
In my opinion it's about the experience. So you've obviously got the DJ/producer and their music, while the various visual effects add to the whole experience of an EDM show. That being said, the act I'm seeing still better put on a damn good show in terms of their set, that's what I'm paying for.

Schreiber
02-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I go for the atmosphere & to spend a good time with friends.

monomer
02-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Never attended a bigger show. Usually to pricey for me. Headliners and pretty lights/sound arn't cheap. On the bright side, I can go out any night of the week and see great local artists playing great music.

but

that's just me.

The Blackest
02-20-2012, 05:29 AM
I never really notice the lights. I'm just there for the awesome music and prosti-tots.

Adzm00
02-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Both.

I go for the music, I won't go to an event if I don't like the music. (Save for Deadmau5 where I went to see projection mapping along the Thames, I have to say, it was utterly shit)

If its good music and a good show, that is not a bad thing.

I go to underground and big events, some of the shows are very very impressive.

RINIFLeX
02-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I'll get straight to the point.. if all the big EDM acts [mau5, avb, tiesto, above and beyond etc] didn't have huge, mesmerising lighting and pyrotechnic setups would as many people still go their shows?

The reason i ask is because when the mau5 was in south africa in december last year, i spoke to some people who went to the show and they were saying how amazing the lights and effects were. That was what they spoke about the most.

Or maybe i'm just getting old and bitter :teef:

PS. I mention deadmau5 just as an example. Pls don't turn this into a mau5-hate thread. We have skrillex for that now... Welcome to 2.0

If the DJ is talented and uses tracks to create a singular and unique experience, then its worth it. Otherwise, if it sounds like they are playing radio edits all night, its not as worth it. Keep in mind this regarding the performance alone, not the partying. There is always that!

Tektonix
02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Ill go for the music, to have a good time with mate's and not gonna lie, the visual's do have a big impact on if i will go or not. Going back to the mau5 (because he is a good example of this) I've been to his unhooked show, few months later the meowington hax tour... I can honestly say i had a better time at the meowington hax tour because of all the visual's and insane light show. It just really add's to the atmosphere and stimulate's more senses making it all the better.

I was lucky enough to attend the meowingtons hax tour, I had to say the following video was the most euphoric, goosebumps moment of the whole show. Compare the lights in something such as this to unhooked shows.....it just doesn't compare

Pu2b7CkkqHs

Jason Cerna
02-20-2012, 04:51 PM
good lighting is part of the experience.

take Pretty Lights for example. when he first started touring years ago, his lighting wasn't as massive as it is now. it is all for the experience.

http://youtu.be/W-0u5bUrRdM

Brian Sang Han
02-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Different artists have different themes to set them apart and make their show their own experience. Also some popular EDM artists haven't been DJing for that long and don't really the skills to put on a really good show.

tekno_violet
02-20-2012, 05:13 PM
:squint:

Kind of an odd question but,

If you like EDM and have time, funds and dont mind huge crowds... why wouldnt you go??

Lighting is part of the show/ event.

The lighting is synced with the music which it turn stimulates your senses just like the sound.

djkvg
02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
i would go if they weren't so expensive hahaha. I'm a fan of good music so why not :D

Andrew1207
02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Visuals are cool, but it's all about the massive sound systems for me. The bass pumping and people going crazy all around you are what make it an amazing experience.

bnr
02-21-2012, 11:59 AM
I agree with what most of you have said - you go for the music and the lighting adds to the experience. I feel the same way. But i find that for the average person at these shows [ie. non dj/producers] the show becomes more about the hype of the big flashing lights and the dramatic effect with the music. Its like if there were no lights then those people wouldn't bother even trying to have a good time because they need big effects and huge stages to get them in the right state of mind to have a good time.

Those qlimax videos look amazing though :tup:

DJ ATX
02-21-2012, 12:22 PM
I must say I have never gone to see just one DJ. I don't like going to concerts either. It just does not appeal to me. I have been to festivals where a whole bunch were playing and a bunch of other stuff going on such as food booths, vendors, etc.

I guess I have ADD or something, cause I can't just sit there dancing around or whatever at a show. I gotta have something else to do if I get bored. That is why I like festivals better.Maybe if I was on Acid or something I would trip out on the light. :uhoh:

manoaboi
02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
I thought people went to dance. :shrug:

Seriously - isn't that why it’s often called electronic dance music? :confused:

When I go to see a dj, I want to dance my ass off the whole time. To me, dancing with my friends is pretty much the most fun thing to do at a show.

There are other good reasons to go see an EDM show - for the lights, the music itself, the connections to be made with other fans, etc. There's also not as good reasons (IMO) to go see an EDM show – to be seen there, to brag about what you’ve seen/are seeing, to get fucked up, etc. I have admittedly gone to shows for any and all of these reasons.

However, the best times I have ever had at electronic music shows have been when I have been in a space to dance with fellow fans/friends to my favorite music in a non-judgemental, positive setting…occasionally using drugs for enhancement. Standing around waiting to be entertained is not productive in good-time having, especially not with dance music.

login
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Here people go to dance, have fun, do some d's and listen to music. Nobody cares about flashlights.

Rek_Aviles
02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
I feel it def adds to it. I love the insane light shows we're getting now a days and I expect it all if I go to a special event. If I go to see a dj on a normal weekend, there's no need and I still enjoy the music just as much.

Now if it's an concert like event, then moar-lazers plz, since it's usually too crowded to dance anyways. :D

bernardgregory
02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
If you've never taken ecstasy, you wouldn't understand.

I wish I was joking, but I'm not. :eek:

Era 7
02-21-2012, 03:15 PM
If you've never taken ecstasy, you wouldn't understand.

I wish I was joking, but I'm not. :eek:

then i must have been doing all this EDM event attending completely wrong :( silly me.

de.j.l
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
I know a good amount of people who have never done those drugs and still have a wonderful time at the club, being sober at that......

Rek_Aviles
02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
:stupid:

then i must have been doing all this EDM event attending completely wrong :( silly me.

I use to hit-up Twilo (NYC), buy a bottle of water and refill it @ the fountain throughout the whole night/day.

Good'ol clubbing days.

the4thImpulse
02-21-2012, 06:34 PM
I dont do drugs or drink and I go for equally the light show and the music, if one or the other is lacking I dont enjoy the show.