PDA

View Full Version : Critique me, how's my scratching?

DJ Nada
12-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Scratching is something I've been wanting to improve for a while now. Thought I'd videotape myself and critique it. I've noticed that I need more confidence with the scratches, and I need to focus on the rhythm of the music, not the rhythm I'm tapping out on the fader. What else? What techniques should I work on next?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbwHj4C6IBw

Hamza21
12-24-2012, 09:12 PM
You haven't mastered baby scratch yet you're trying to do orbits?

Learn the scratches in order they were invented and don't move on until you master the one before it first. Remember it took ten years to go from baby to transforming. It took another 10 years to go from transforming to crab so don't rush it.

Baby
Forwards
Tips
Scribbles
Chops
Stabs
Drags
Chirps
Tears
Transform

After you learn how to transform you will have all skills to needed to learn any scratch.

DJ Boom Bap
12-24-2012, 10:23 PM
For as harsh as it might seem, I agree with the above post

DJ Nada
12-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Well then... Thanks for your honest feedback.

djlotus
12-25-2012, 12:48 AM
I started scratching last year, an the above advice is spit on. Learning and mastering the basics can not be understated. I tried to move too fast and it wound up setting me back.

djlotus
12-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Sorry for the typo. Meant to say "spot on."

djkvg
12-28-2012, 02:06 PM
as stated above, learn the beginning scratches. learn the scratches that don't involve the fader so you can build your vinyl hand.

If you start with the hard scratches first, you will end up going back to the beginning scratches anyways so just start there.

DJArmani
12-28-2012, 02:28 PM
In addition to learning your faderless scratches, don't push on the fader so hard. Lighten up your hands.