PDA

View Full Version : what style/kind/genre are you?

moyo wilde
02-19-2012, 01:16 AM
i hate pegging but i am curious.

at this point i am more of a philly style dj. i play whatever from crunk, trap, funk, moombahton, top 40, electro (top 40) bmore/phillyclub, and some indie trying to get more techno, house type stuff lately to round out a bit more.

if i had to peg myself to one i guess it would be moombahton. it is the genre that i have the most songs in my crate. i could play two or three sets and not have to repeat songs and can shift around within the sub genres. which is strange cause i just got into it, but i really like it.

thanks to the lock out i spent a lot more time adding and pruning my music. my style changed quite a bit i guess, cause before i didn't have any moombahton.

so what about you guys?

damn left the word dj out of the title!

woulda made a poll but there are way too many genres/styles.

fueledbymusic
02-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Im more into house than anything else. 90's house is my favorite

TheFrenchWay
02-19-2012, 01:48 AM
House! and then I get into Electro House and Fidget aswell. But House is my ''Feel good'' area I would say.

My biggest weakness is Saxophone in House...It just gets to me. :dance:

DJRa1n
02-19-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm a pure Hardcore DJ. Hard to the core man! \m/

Alex Murphy
02-19-2012, 05:48 AM
Anything goes.

Sigma
02-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Hip-hop, electro (the proper stuff), funk, soul.

Grifff
02-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Techno is my preferred genre, then it's trance. I've recently started listening to/buying/playing tech house tracks again too (which is what I started off spinning)

Era 7
02-19-2012, 06:04 AM
House (Electro, Progressive, Tribal), Trance (Tech or straight up 140BPM :dance:), UK Hardcore and Hardstyle. when i play out its mostly house though.

DJRa1n
02-19-2012, 06:06 AM
House (Electro, Progressive, Tribal), Trance, UK Hardcore and Hardstyle. when i play out its mostly house though.

Whoo Hoo!!! A hardcore DJ finally!!! Any DJ or track producer you like in particular?

Era 7
02-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Whoo Hoo!!! A hardcore DJ finally!!! Any DJ or track producer you like in particular?

:D just getting into it but i've been diggin some productions of Technikore.

Dix
02-19-2012, 06:29 AM
50's - 60's oldies / rock & roll / country
60's - 70's pop / classic rock / country / disco era
80's pop / beginning of Hip Hop / country
90's - current pop / hip hop

This is my preference & what I may listen to on the radio. Its what I try to stick to when choosing the gigs I take. However, I will go outside this touching on Rap or rock but I wont play a whole gig outside my preferences. As well, these are basic genre class's. There are so many genre's now 'till I dont know what is what. I am totally lost on most of the genre titles I see you guys using in here most of the time.

DJRa1n
02-19-2012, 06:41 AM
:D just getting into it but i've been diggin some productions of Technikore.

Have a listen to DJ Cotts or DJ Ravine on Youtube, they're the best hardcore DJs on youtube. Also for tracks, try a little of DJ Gammer or Scott Brown. Your mind will soon = Blown

Era 7
02-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Have a listen to DJ Cotts or DJ Ravine on Youtube, they're the best hardcore DJs on youtube. Also for tracks, try a little of DJ Gammer or Scott Brown. Your mind will soon = Blown

dude those two were the guys that made me listen to it in the first place haha. Ravine was a member of DJF 1.0. and gammer is awesome. as for scott brown: will do ;)

DJRa1n
02-19-2012, 07:09 AM
dude those two were the guys that made me listen to it in the first place haha. Ravine was a member of DJF 1.0. and gammer is awesome. as for scott brown: will do ;)

Same here! I listened to Ravine and instantly got Ravinated, then I went on to know about Cotts. Cotts + Ravine = Best Combo Ever

bumpyjonas
02-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Classic House, Old School Hip Hop, Disco, 70's Soul, 80's 90's Pop and Rnb....

Hausgeist
02-19-2012, 09:01 AM
House and D&B.

Jason Cerna
02-19-2012, 09:23 AM
multi-genre:

reggae, dancehall, roots, hip hop, chillout, downtempo, funk, indie dance, moombahton, house, breaks, drum & bass, dubstep and all the sub-genres within those main genres.

ChrisHynds
02-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Trance (Tech, Deep, Uplifting, Prog), Prog. House, Jackin Chicago House,

Oh and just started to play around with some breaks

DJWhoQE
02-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Bass Music, Garage, Dubstep, Electro House, Techno, Deep House, Funky House, Funk

Raindance Rob
02-19-2012, 11:10 AM
90s hardcore, old skool hardcore, classic house, freeform, trancecore, makina, bouncy techno, gabba etc

Badger
02-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm multi-genre as well.

I started DJing in the mobile industry long ago, so I had to appeal to a lot of different customer tastes, often playing artists like the Prodigy, Tag Team, and Garth Brooks in the same gig. :)

These days, I don't buy much "new" music for gigs - mainly stuff for my own listening pleasure.

When I'm actually DJing, I almost always spin at "retro" events, especially since my favourite era of music spanned from the late 1980s through the early 1990s. I'm mainly known for being one of the last DJs in my area who still prefers to mix with genuine vinyl records, and for the assortment of rare remixes that I tend to use.

If I HAD to rank my preferences by genre, they'd be:

Retro new wave/synthpop/progressive club music, like Depeche Mode, New Order, the Cure, Duran Duran, Kon Kan, etc.
Classic house music, like Inner City, Lil Louis, and a Guy Called Gerald.
Old-to-middle-school hip-hop: Tone-Loc, Run-DMC, Salt + Pepa, etc.
New jack swing, like Bobby Brown, Wreckx-n-Effect, and Bell Biv Devoe.
Downtempo/chillout artists like Portishead, Hooverphonic, Massive Attack, and Morcheeba.
Retro pop music, like remixes of Paula Abdul, Madonna, and Janet Jackson.
Old-school ravey whatnot like the Prodigy, Apotheosis, Messiah, and Acen.
Industrial/gothic tracks, both new and old: Front 242, Nine Inch Nails, De/Vision, and VNV Nation.

:badger:

Nicadraus
02-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Back in the 90s I used to play from 70s Disco, Hip-hop/R&B, Techno, Trance, House. Since 2001, I went for straight house music only. Mainly, deep, soulful, jazzy, funky, latin, disco, and progressive. :)

lastcat
02-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Reggae, Jazz, Hip-Hop. in that order.

Shepherd
02-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I like Trance and Prog House depending on mood. I usually end up mainly with deep and min/tech house, ambient Dnb, Trip-hop and Downtempo. I prefer to chill.

DJArmani
02-19-2012, 01:24 PM
All House, Jersey/Bmore Club, Hip-Hop (except that Gucci Mane crap)

DJ_BLAKNITE
02-19-2012, 03:36 PM
70's Disco, High Energy Disco, Freestyle, House, Electro House, Progressive House, Trance, Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, Latin House

CC Ricers
02-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Drum & bass, then dubstep (or generally bass music), moombahton, a bit of hardcore, glitch hop and Chicago hard house for old times sake.

djshire
02-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm multi-genre. My major focus is uplifting and tech trance, but I also spin other kinds of trance, house, techno, hard dance, and both new and old rave.

Oh and also....

http://driph.com/words/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/e.gif

m:cake
02-19-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm doing (Deep)Techno, Tech-House, Minimal, Drum & Bass and a little Dub Reggae. My comfortzone i d say is the techno stuff. But tbh i m not that good @which track is which subgenre ^^

DJ Matt
02-19-2012, 04:57 PM
project 1
latin music
mainly salsa
but also bachata regaeton merengue, cumbia

project 2
also as a side project (which im hoping to get off the ground soon)
funk, breakbeat, trip hop, reggae, drum & bass and any of those with latin influences

project 3.
i also play any "custom mix" you pay i mix ! nothign more fun than mixing someone elses favourite tracks for them, normally ends up being top 40 LOL

way back in the day i used to play
drum & bass
techno
trance
house
old skool

andypandy
02-19-2012, 05:45 PM
deep house :)

speedjay
02-19-2012, 09:30 PM
hardstyle, techtrance, and trance

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
House and Garage classics,and Tribal house :dance:

Smallz
02-19-2012, 11:57 PM
House is usually my thing. Electro/Progressive/Tech/Deep/etc.

Dj_4-$hure
02-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Underground hip hop
Old school hip hop
Rap
Cumbias
Funk lots of Funk.
Jazz
House
Electro
Some rock
a little bit of dubstep, just a little.

I just love sound!
Turntablist also! at least I try.

Sigma
02-20-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm multi-genre as well.

I started DJing in the mobile industry long ago, so I had to appeal to a lot of different customer tastes, often playing artists like the Prodigy, Tag Team, and Garth Brooks in the same gig. :)

These days, I don't buy much "new" music for gigs - mainly stuff for my own listening pleasure.

When I'm actually DJing, I almost always spin at "retro" events, especially since my favourite era of music spanned from the late 1980s through the early 1990s. I'm mainly known for being one of the last DJs in my area who still prefers to mix with genuine vinyl records, and for the assortment of rare remixes that I tend to use.

If I HAD to rank my preferences by genre, they'd be:

Retro new wave/synthpop/progressive club music, like Depeche Mode, New Order, the Cure, Duran Duran, Kon Kan, etc.
Classic house music, like Inner City, Lil Louis, and a Guy Called Gerald.
Old-to-middle-school hip-hop: Tone-Loc, Run-DMC, Salt + Pepa, etc.
New jack swing, like Bobby Brown, Wreckx-n-Effect, and Bell Biv Devoe.
Downtempo/chillout artists like Portishead, Hooverphonic, Massive Attack, and Morcheeba.
Retro pop music, like remixes of Paula Abdul, Madonna, and Janet Jackson.
Old-school ravey whatnot like the Prodigy, Apotheosis, Messiah, and Acen.
Industrial/gothic tracks, both new and old: Front 242, Nine Inch Nails, De/Vision, and VNV Nation.

:badger:
You need to post more mixes on here.

PONTUS.2
02-20-2012, 12:28 AM
judging by my pasts doings id say my style(s) are/were....

-turntablism: used to mainly be into scratching juggle attempts and just trying to create interesting transitions

-rap/hip hop: next phase in DJing was strictly hip hop mixing

-DnB/Jungle

-multi genre shit

-moved into production: Hip Hop beats

Friction
02-20-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm a pretty mixed bag kind of style. Id say it has been recently mostly disco and edits but I am generally all over all kinds of stuff in swings and round abouts. If it is a bit off the wall, I want to play it.

Rick_N
02-20-2012, 01:50 AM
Hmmm let me see...

Nu school breaks
Funky breaks
Florida breaks
Tech breaks
Tearout breaks
Jungle breaks
Tribal Breaks
....um and any other sub genres of breaks that i forgot to mention.

Oh ya and some tech-house, house, and dnb

Evolved
02-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Progressive house, house, Electronic. Tech house and variations.

de.j.l
02-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Every genre of house, multi genres of breaks, techno, tech funk.. I switch up my genre every time I play out..

Ver Jaina
02-26-2012, 01:31 PM
harder styles of trance (uplifting, tech) not including psy
basically dark & hard music consists of Acid/Hard Trance, Techdance, Hard House, Schranz

Era 7
02-26-2012, 02:45 PM
harder styles of trance (uplifting, tech)

you mean the best styles of trance :D

Danny Kay
02-26-2012, 03:30 PM
I play Progressive house,house, electro, dutch house, tech house, funky. Pretty much all sorts of house music.

djcaru
02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Main style at the moment is house, mostly of the deep and tech variety, but I am also capable of playing:
Techno
Jungle/Drum & Bass
Old skool rave/Breakbeat hardcore (1991/92)

And dare I say it, top 40 past and present, if I had to.

digi16v
02-29-2012, 12:41 PM
House music - any sub genre.
Hip-hop - old and new
Turntablism - something I have been working on.
Top40- gotta please my mobile gigs..

uncut69
02-29-2012, 01:11 PM
what people called brostep in 2009

Chay
02-29-2012, 07:46 PM
I spin the following!

Trance, House, Dubstep, Schranz, Hardstyle, Happy Hardcore, Hardcore/Gabber, J-Core, K-Pop, J-Pop, J/K-Pop house/trance remixes

:bing:

Ravi Ravs Singh
02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Style is hip hop, but geners I pay everything from funk, soul, rap, disco, rock/alternative, DnB, NuSkool Breakbeat and even some house lol.

Ferryman
03-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Primary - d'n'b, dubstep / garage / grime / UK Funky (general 130-144bpm spectrum)
Secondary - house, techno

dlove
03-01-2012, 02:44 AM
I push Reggae, Dub, Afrobeat, Latin, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Tropical, Soul, Funk & Dancehall. I get asked to play at more reggae nights than anything, but in my residency, I play multi-genres.

Ferryman
03-01-2012, 02:49 AM
I push Reggae, Dub, Afrobeat, Latin, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Tropical, Soul, Funk & Dancehall. I get asked to play at more reggae nights than anything, but in my residency, I play multi-genres.

Nice. With those sort of styles do you play many takeover sessions or long sets (3-4+ hours)?

dlove
03-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Nice. With those sort of styles do you play many takeover sessions or long sets (3-4+ hours)?

Cheers! I do 4 hour sessions now & again, depending on whether I have a guest. I love going back to back, but I've not had a partner for a while now.

Lost Connection
03-01-2012, 03:18 AM
Mainly House/Top 40, also techno/electro/hardcore/happy hardcore etc. I spin what sounds good to me :tup:

icbicb
03-01-2012, 03:31 AM
Techno, all sorts of.

Ferryman
03-01-2012, 04:00 AM
Cheers! I do 4 hour sessions now & again, depending on whether I have a guest. I love going back to back, but I've not had a partner for a while now.

Yeaa I do love a good b2b session, although typicaly I'll do those with d'n'b. They're great, they just make you think about your set in a completely different way :)

you got any mixes up? I'm not seeing anything in your sig....

moyo wilde
03-01-2012, 04:22 AM
@dlove

what do you make of afrobeats? i believe that is the "new" genre. got a "mixtape" listened a couple a times hasn't quite caught me.

Chay
03-01-2012, 06:08 AM
I spin the following!

Trance, House, Dubstep, Schranz, Hardstyle, Happy Hardcore, Hardcore/Gabber, J-Core, K-Pop, J-Pop, J/K-Pop house/trance remixes

:bing:

I forgot to add "Drum & Bass"!

dlove
03-01-2012, 06:17 AM
Yeaa I do love a good b2b session, although typicaly I'll do those with d'n'b. They're great, they just make you think about your set in a completely different way :)

you got any mixes up? I'm not seeing anything in your sig....

yeah, it keeps you on your toes :)

here's my mixcloud & soundcloud

http://www.mixcloud.com/miss_dlove/

http://soundcloud.com/dlove

dlove
03-01-2012, 06:19 AM
@dlove

what do you make of afrobeats? i believe that is the "new" genre. got a "mixtape" listened a couple a times hasn't quite caught me.

"the "new" genre"?

dlove
03-01-2012, 06:27 AM
@dlove

have you heard of Mukatsuku records? Run by Nik Weston, putting out fresh cuts & pushing traditional afrobeat.

http://www.mixcloud.com/Mukatsuku/mukatsuku-afro-mix-december-2011/

Funkyfader
03-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Electro house,moombahcore,dubstep,produtchive

c-hawk
03-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Disco
Funk/Soul/R&B
Hip-Hop/Rap
Pop
House

Lionman
03-01-2012, 09:15 AM
have you heard of Mukatsuku records? Run by Nik Weston, putting out fresh cuts & pushing traditional afrobeat.

http://www.mixcloud.com/Mukatsuku/mukatsuku-afro-mix-december-2011/

Holy moses! That link is teh dopeness!

Back on topic.
Everything & anything that takes my fancy. I have a weakness for bass but not any of that brostep bollocks - I used to be all about bangers bangers bangers but these days I try to keep my bass a little more... sophisticated? Deep house, Post Dubstep/Future Bass (or whatever people are calling it this week), Edits, Classic Disco & so on. I grew up listening to Solid Steel & was listening to a lot of mash up djs when I started so I'm always happy to throw it all in the pot & see what happens

login
03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Techno, motly melodic or trancey
Psytrance, and progressive psy trance

moyo wilde
03-01-2012, 11:45 AM
@dlove

NICE, listening to the mix now! i always have this dream of finding a record store that has a ton of music like this. stuff i have never heard of. man that is a happy ass dream.

the only afrobeat i have is fela:teef:. found two of his box sets (vinyl). wanted to grab other pieces, but those things would go fast.

i was talking about dj abrantee. read on a board that it is blowing up in london.

http://soundcloud.com/djabrantee/sets/afrobeats-mix-vol-1

oh yeah +rep.

oh yeah i am not recommending this, just curious, since you or somebody might have info or some other stuff. it is nowhere near as hot as this mix.

dlove
03-02-2012, 01:27 AM
@ moyo'

Fela's the Daddy.

I find Afrobeat on Juno (in the broken beat/new jazz/new soul section) http://www.juno.co.uk Sounds Of The Universe http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/ and Soundway Records http://www.soundwayrecords.com/. Mr Bongo has some wicked compilations and one-off releases too http://www.mrbongo.com

:tup:

Philhouse
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm absolutely in love with mixing this nu funk/ ghetto funk with super wobbly glitch.

djbenxh
03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Top 40s
Hiphop
Dutchhouse
Prog.House

Rick_N
03-03-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm absolutely in love with mixing this nu funk/ ghetto funk with super wobbly glitch.

Ohhhhh yes totally concur, I love me some ghetto funk!!!

Ferryman
03-03-2012, 04:11 AM
yeah, it keeps you on your toes :)

here's my mixcloud & soundcloud

http://www.mixcloud.com/miss_dlove/

http://soundcloud.com/dlove

Nice, cheers for those buddy :)

phnetk
03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Jumping in on this, I love playing back to back. Adds an edge to DJing and makes you really think about what to play. Also playing with friends is a blast. 2 people also pump up the crowd a lot more.

Favourite genres to DJ with are (in order) Drum & Bass, Electro House, Dubstep. Drum & Bass I like jump-up and more electro tinged tracks (same with Dubstep). Electro House, not the thrash stuff thats been coming out lately nor none of the Dutch house stuff and anything but borderline tech house.

Moss
03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech House
Deep House
Jack House
Progressive House
Big Room House
Electro House
Minimal Techno

:D

Piet pietersen
03-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I like soft house, house with a good melodi with some vocals are just great. Im not really into that deep, hard, raw house.

Ferrealz
03-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Started out being a straight Hip Hop/ Top 40 DJ. Then I started getting into a lot of EDM. So I'm a mix of a lot of things. Main thing is I play songs that sounds like good to the ears or anything the crowd wants.

DjDoody
03-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I usually listen to Electro/Progressive House Iv become a big Dutch House fan.Im trying to get into Trance.I just dont know where to start.

KLH
03-04-2012, 01:56 PM
I spin what I'm paid to spin. My tastes are fairly mainstream - EDM and top-40 - but I've even performed country (which is something that I've never listened to).

For me, the dollars dictate what I play. I'll remix the sh*t out of Mozart if you pay me $100 per hour.

-KLH

squirrelmaster
03-05-2012, 11:15 AM
multi-genre:

reggae, dancehall, roots, hip hop, chillout, downtempo, funk, indie dance, moombahton, house, breaks, drum & bass, dubstep and all the sub-genres within those main genres.

Dude, that's a lot!! I enjoy hearing different genres when I'm out. But it's so tough keeping up with different genres. How do you do it?

I just bounce around from genre to genre whenever I find something I like. Sometimes, I think, "Hmm, I need more tunes in this genre," and I'll shop for that specifically.

Archon
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
pure hardstyle. if it ain't hard i ain't happy. i dont see how people can party to house and electro house. thats like chill and smoke hookah music. so soft. after watching aftermovies of reverze, qlimax, and defqon 1, i listen to house and i picture people partying to that about as easily as i picture people fist pumping and head banging to behtoven and mozart

DJNR
03-05-2012, 01:31 PM
pure hardstyle. if it ain't hard i ain't happy. i dont see how people can party to house and electro house. thats like chill and smoke hookah music. so soft. after watching aftermovies of reverze, qlimax, and defqon 1, i listen to house and i picture people partying to that about as easily as i picture people fist pumping and head banging to behtoven and mozart

Everybody has got their own taste I guess. Electro house can get pretty heavy.

moyo wilde
09-22-2012, 10:26 PM
man times change.

got a gig where now i am playing tech-house, deep house, techno, detroit tech, house, disco, and an occasional moombahton (deep house type stuff) and classic disco & funk tracks. i open so i can't play much top 40 or popular tunes as that is what the prime time dj plays. finding opening to be quite a challenge with the limitations and with having to read when it is time to go change the mood from welcoming to getting people up outtat there seats etc. you really have to know the mood your tracks etc.

Ocie
09-23-2012, 01:29 AM
i'm all across the board. electro house, hip-hop, baltimore club, bass music, moomahton, nu-disco, indie dance, acid house (need moar tracks!), fidget house, a fair amount of the new trap music dance music producers have gotten into. mainly it just comes down to if i like the track :shrug: the wednesday nights i played this past summer were "mixed up" nights.

if i can play music the crowd doesn't know or wasn't expecting and get away with it, i'm going for it. :tup:

DJ Retro Blaze
09-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Primarily, underground Deep, Soulful and Tech House, with a little Detroit and Minimal Techno.

I would also like to build a larger library of Nu and Acid Jazz tunes.

fueledbymusic
09-23-2012, 12:58 PM
I love deep house! That's my "language" LOL

varini.1000
09-23-2012, 01:26 PM
All around guy! You gotta be able to wear many hats :D

dlove
09-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Primarily, underground Deep, Soulful and Tech House, with a little Detroit and Minimal Techno.

I would also like to build a larger library of Nu and Acid Jazz tunes.

Nice combination! I play with someone who goes off into Detroit with Nu Jazz. Deep!

RikkiGTR
09-24-2012, 02:02 AM
Trance! Anything Trance.

AdrianR
09-24-2012, 02:52 AM
I love deep house! That's my "language" LOL

You and I speak the same language my friend.

The Blackest
09-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Jungle/DnB
Dubstep
Techno
Breaks

Thats about it really. Its rare that I get booked for anything other than D&B though. I used to do a lot of Techno sets back in the day.

Maikky
09-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Techno, DnB, Punk, Nu-Disco, Dance-Punk and Electro-Thrash/Trash

:blank:

DJ STU-C
09-24-2012, 02:58 PM
proper jackin house, anything soulful (louie vega was sent by the gods) funk, soul, disco. a bit of techno

listening wise anything goes but oldskool hardcore, dnb, breaks and more house, sometimes a bit of hiphop(the chilled stuff)

DJ Matt
09-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Salsa, merengue, regueton, bachata, mambo, house. video DJ

and occasionally whore myself out for pop gigs when the money is right LOL

:D

paulie.phonic
09-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Electro-Step check it out here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FER9a_aasb0

djTRiST
09-26-2012, 02:11 AM
My fav stuff to play is funky techno, tech house and deep house, I can go for marathon sets haha. I started out with 90s hip hop back in the day so I have mad love for the boom bap - especially sets of instrumentals ( 45king and Fat Jon, hyrdabeats type stuff).

At my residency its anything goes EDM, so I will play everything from trap and dubstep to progressive house, electro and techno. 2 weeks ago I even played a DnB set with some drumstep and people were really getting into it!

I love collecting trippy/obscure experimental music too and I have been putting together some ambient mixes as well as some glitchy downtempo stuff ( boards of canada, bluetech, autechre etc.)

syks
09-26-2012, 02:27 AM
I havnt got one style i like to mix,i enjoy mixing almost anything :) i just LOVE music,ive got drum n bass,happy hardcore,hiphop,garage,bassline,house all on vinyl and enjoy mixing it all.

Peace

Plumpynutt
09-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Techno & Jungle/ D&B

Windows 95
09-26-2012, 07:39 AM
At work it's mainly: Classic Rock, Pop & Country

At home it's mainly: Jumpstyle, Bluegrass, Dubstep, Rockabilly, Classical, Miami Bass, Christmas, K-Pop, DnB, Blues, Celtic, Techno, Gospel, Soul, Death Metal, Funk, Children's Music, Jazz, Hip-Hop, International Traditional Folk / World Music, New Age, Reggae, Western, Polka, Pop, R&B, Adult Contemporary, Psychedelic, Spandex Rock / Big Hair Rock, Disco, Acid House, Southern Rock, Dance Pop, Big Band

DJ ATX
09-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Personally, I like, Top40, House, Electro-House

All of my gigs, goes along the lines of my taste in music. Mainly Bars and Commercial clubs. So its open format, Top40, House, Electro, a bit of 80's/90's and HipHop.

CC Ricers
09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
I typically play drum & bass, dubstep, breaks, and some moombahton and hardcore. Recently I've been digging the older hard techno stuff that I wanted to try for a while.

I break into house music for some crowds, though.

Wakka
09-27-2012, 08:13 PM
really depends on my mood. Usually tech house, sometimes prog/electro house.

DJNR
09-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Spanish Folk Music.

Paulie65m
09-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Any Sounds that go well with Minimal
Trying to experiment with taking different genres with minimal

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

shakywhale
09-28-2012, 04:58 AM
@fueledbymusic good 90's house artists?

djlukewathey
09-29-2012, 02:42 AM
I play mainly Uk Hardcore although i have started to play with a mixture of Tech House, Techno and Deep House

but my main Genre is hardcore and has been since i started in the scene

TheRabbitMonk
09-29-2012, 05:17 AM
I play dubstep and hip hop badly. But like you said i try not to really stick to one genre as i get abit bored of dubstep.

contra
09-29-2012, 09:28 AM
I can't remember if I posted in this already, but hard/dark techno, acid techno, schranz, and hard breaks.

jameslagden
02-17-2013, 11:19 PM
The era would be 88-94 and the style is Acid house, detroit/belgium techno, hardcore (early 90's UK rave) trance.

mantis
02-18-2013, 12:08 AM
at this point i am more of a philly style dj. i play whatever from crunk, trap, funk, moombahton, top 40, electro (top 40) bmore/phillyclub, and some indie trying to get more techno, house type stuff lately to round out a bit more.......

so what about you guys?

as you know, also being in china, if u wanna play over here you need to adjust in the way you said. Moombahton works well, as do all the rest.
Last night set for example, I played Prog Psy, Electro House, Top 40 remixes, Mashups (china loves this), house, Psy Trance remix of pop tunes, Happy hardcore, Electro house, moombahton and end up with some deep house giving over. One and a half hour set.

Guess im an allround dj

Panotaker
02-18-2013, 09:12 AM
I play mostly disco and funk from the 70's and early 80's. I regularly post my mixes in the mixes section. Mainly so new DJ's can learn some disco history and to show how mixing was done back in the disco era. Whether they listen or not is a different story.

miX_
02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
If we're talking by the numbers, Drum & Bass by far. Slowly trying to branch out, but Drum & Bass is my heart and soul.

aaron altar
02-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Hamburg style prog, prog psy, techno (many variations), house (deep, funk and disco) and old school acid techno

cosmic dave
02-18-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm really into the tribal thing at the moment, played all sorts tho over the years :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

alexreedDJ
02-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Music's music, i like pretty much all genres as long as effort has been put into making it.

Although my favourite genres are house and trance i would say but pretty much all dance music :)

SimpsonMTL
02-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Im into deep house and Nu Dicso/indie tracks with sometimes a progressive or tech house mix here and there. like really funky/upbeat ass shakin' tunes for my mixes.

CocaineAudio
02-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Striclt House/ Progresive.. With a little bit of electro ;)

DJ-Veaux
02-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Trance, house, electro, dnb, some dubstep. Pretty much anything that's moving or uplifting. Though on some moods a good Linkin Park track or two doesn't hurt ;)

Serendipity
02-18-2013, 02:13 PM
HOUSE... Chicago preferably. Then Acid.

ae86touge
02-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Dark dnb, nurofunk and jump up dnb for when everyone wants a serious jump about. Deep minimal dubstep with some mid range wobbly bangers thrown in for good measure early night/morning when people want to dance a bit slower. If i want something a bit more upbeat it's old skool garage into 4x4 bassline, people seem to love the nostalgia of tracks like 'h20 - whats it gonna be' so it always goes down well. Gets people bouncing around.

DJ ATX
02-19-2013, 02:16 PM

at this point i am more of a philly style dj. i play whatever from crunk, trap, funk, moombahton, top 40, electro (top 40) bmore/phillyclub, and some indie trying to get more techno, house type stuff lately to round out a bit more.

if i had to peg myself to one i guess it would be moombahton. it is the genre that i have the most songs in my crate. i could play two or three sets and not have to repeat songs and can shift around within the sub genres. which is strange cause i just got into it, but i really like it.

thanks to the lock out i spent a lot more time adding and pruning my music. my style changed quite a bit i guess, cause before i didn't have any moombahton.

so what about you guys?

woulda made a poll but there are way too many genres/styles.

Open format club/bar and sometimes mobile DJ

Top40/EDM/Hip-Hop/Rock and similar genres in 80's/90's

Don't do country or reggae though.

CamDaze
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Lately it's been a lot of Classic-sounding "analog" house, or some of the newer revivals of that sound mixed with dirtybird style bass-heavy house, mixed with some deep and tech house.

Rek_Aviles
02-19-2013, 03:05 PM
House (all sub-genre) & Techno. Tech house has most of my attention at the moment. :music:

Mike Raunchy
02-21-2013, 03:38 AM
GhettoTech
Juke
Ghetto House
Electro (not Electro house)
Techno Bass

I enjoy and appreciate all genres just tend to spin the faster stuff.

richiesaint
02-21-2013, 05:30 AM
I'm mostly centered on Electro, then House, Prog. House, Deep House and Moomba

disparate
02-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Electro (not Electro house)

Nice one, not much true electro here :tup:

l0ckd0wn
02-21-2013, 06:22 AM
House (mainly tech, progressive, tribal, electro), Trance, D&B, Down Tempo/Chill Out/Ambient/Lounge

I'll play stuff as slow as about 60bpm up to about 144bpm trance.

Adzm00
02-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Nice one, not much true electro here :tup:

Seconded.

Proper electro is generally discussed in the techno forum ;)

So the style I play when I do clubs is techno, tech house (a bit) and a tiny bit of electronica/electro here and there.

funkywobin-LTB
02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
I play Techno with a bit of tech-house.

I have gone through many gerne's to find the style I like, started with hard house then onto house, which then went into trance, then finally I start playing techno about 7-8 years ago, I add a bit of tech-house in too now.

:)

Mahatma Coat
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
I play anything that's not shit.

Paulie65m
02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Lately been digging MicroHouse

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk