PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on behringer amps?

dj-azza
12-23-2012, 05:29 AM
hi guys.
well in my quest to find a good and reliable amp ofor a good price, i came across a behringer inuke nu1000, 1000w...
but are behringer known as a good brand with reliability?
i very much like the look of it, and it fits my budget nicely.

trying to buy a slightly cheaper amp to start with, but still want reliabilty. something that is known to be good.
not looking to buy 500 - 600 pound amps to start with, as i am needing to buy all other equipment too.

cheers

windspeed36
12-23-2012, 05:33 AM
People are having hit and miss with the INukes as I understand it. Their older EP2/4000's are basically QSC RMX copies and are one of their better products.

b.ill
12-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I've been using a couple of EPX-4000s for a year and a half now several times a week, and they've been great amps. They get pushed hard too. I originally bought then as a temporary fix, but they keep hanging in there.

Reports on the NU series in the sound forums has been positive from what I've picked up. With a bit of research you'll find many first hand accounts.

sss18734
12-23-2012, 12:30 PM
EP Series amps are very solid. I have four of them that have been used on a weekly basis for the past 6 years and still have no issues.

dj-azza
12-23-2012, 01:30 PM
thanks for the info guys.
for £150 an amp, its worth a try.

jayhwk
12-23-2012, 03:22 PM
I have an issue with buying the EP amps - they're a straight copy of the QSC RMX series. From what I understand, Behringer actually plagiarized the RMX user manual. I feel it's unethical to support that practice in the industry, especially when used RMX amps are available for the same prices as EP series amps.

light-o-matic
12-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Behringer is a fairly weak brand. The best thing I can say about them is that even their cheapest shit tends to work when it's new. If you need some cheap stuff right away to get a job done, they're a reasonable choice. But then the shit breaks or it seems great at first, then you notice some really annoying flaw, or whatever. You end up with gear that's sometimes ok but never great. And sometimes awful. But it's cheap-ass. As cheap-ass goes, you could do a lot worse.. but it's still cheap-ass.

I have not tried the iNuke, but word on the street is that it's not bad in the power department, but lacking in the sound quality department.

Personally I'd rather give my money to another brand, even if it means paying a bit more. It'll pay off in less future problems and better overall quality. But if money is the main problem you have, Behringer is an option.

phunior
12-26-2012, 11:04 PM
+1 on the Behringer EP Amps. They are rock solid. Bought an EP4000 a couple years ago and it is very comparable to my QSC RMX2450. Like Windspeed said, its basically the same thing.

light-o-matic
12-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Yea.. I will retract -part- of my post.. I agree that the Behringer EP series amps are pretty good. They are NOT as good as the QSC RMX series amps they are copied from.. for example the Behringer EP2500/EP4000 (same amp, different model number) is supposed to be equal to the QSC RMX2450, but it is not.. the Behringer has a smaller power supply and puts out less power. If you compare the ratings of the EP2500 and the RMX2450 you will see that the EP is rated 2000W, not 2500W. I've compared them, and while the Behringer did well, the QSC did better. So, they are not quite the same amps.

All that said, you can buy a *used* EP2500/EP4000 on ebay for between $200-250 USD (these are all USA prices, since I'm in the USA) shipped, whereas a *used* RMX2450 on ebay will cost you around 300-$370.. so, around $100 more. It is a better amp from a better company with a better warranty.. all fair reasons for it to cost more. But if you are on a budget and that $100 is a major savings for you, then the EP amps are def a good option.

But then, another great option is the QSC GX5.. which is selling used for as low as $250 shipped (up to around 350).. def a great way to get into light weight amps and a perfect choice for a budget top amp. Then when you add subs (which almost everyone does) the EP2500 in bridge mode is still an option, or a lot of other amps including the RMX1850HD (a great amp, one of my first purchases when I first started expanding my sound system, and I still have it. I've since switched to light weight amps, but I use it still for the high end of my bi-amped tops, when I need an extra amp). Really, the speakers need to be chosen first, then the amps.