PDA

View Full Version : I guess I am a real DJ now!

Defiance
12-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Just purchased a used pair of Numark TTXs in roadcases for $250. I thought it was a pretty good deal and eventually I had planned on purchasing some TTs in the future, just didn't think it would of been this soon!

Don't plan on using them on gigs as my NS6 is my preferred way of controlling music, but I've spun numerous times on TTs just never on my own.

Next thing to purchase is some needles and vinyl. Maybe if Serato DJ works out well I might do a SL box and use them with my NS6.

Sigma
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Sweet. That's a bargain price too.

Defiance
12-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Sweet. That's a bargain price too.

Thats one of the main reasons I moved my plans up to purchase turntables lol

I have NO idea how people drag these things in and out of venues on a regular basis, it was a PITA to move them the few times I have today lol

Era 7
12-18-2012, 01:42 PM
real DJs play on 1200s or 1210s :blank:

:zany:

thehadgi
12-18-2012, 02:01 PM
threads got some good flaming potential... might break out some popcorn if it gets good :lol:

MeowMix
12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
threads got some good flaming potential... might break out some popcorn if it gets good :lol:

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a415/DJ_Hausgeist/deinfamous.gif

KLH
12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
I thought that ST/STR-150s > TTX > 1200/1210s. Of course, the 1200s/1210s seem to last longer... but I've heard that ST/STR-150s and TTX DJs have more fun.

-KLH

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
12-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Next thing to purchase is some needles and vinyl. Maybe if Serato DJ works out well I might do a SL box and use them with my NS6.you got some time to save up.Serato DJ has yet to support the NS6.it's in the works.:tup:

djAj90
12-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Real dj's use a laptop,midi controller and mpc.

M!TCH
12-18-2012, 03:01 PM

:twhack:

No words needed.

:popcorn:

Unknown DJ
12-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Real dj's use a laptop,midi controller and mpc.

Real DJ's use a Ipod and youtube.

m:cake
12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Why bother with an Ipod if there are youtube dj sites like http://www.turntubelist.com/ ^^

Sigma
12-18-2012, 04:21 PM
I have NO idea how people drag these things in and out of venues on a regular basis, it was a PITA to move them the few times I have today lol
Get some STR8-150s. They're real man's decks. They weigh 50% more each than yours. :P

It was a lot better when clubs had standard gear though, cos then you didn't have to take your setup with you. You could just take records or CDs. People are more likely to be taking their own expensive DJ equipment with them to a club in 2012 than they were in 1992, but that's progress for ya, lol.

Finnish_Fox
12-18-2012, 04:25 PM
I thought that ST/STR-150s > TTX > 1200/1210s. Of course, the 1200s/1210s seem to last longer... but I've heard that ST/STR-150s and TTX DJs have more fun.

-KLH

People keep saying this. Is this based on just the torque stats?

For me, what has set the 1200 apart from other decks has been the pitch. That thing is so sturdy and has good weight to it... although, to be fair, I have very limited experience on Stantons or Numarks.

Defiance
12-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Well I was told one of them spun backwards and the other one was fine.

The one that spins backwards won't power up, fuse is good on it. Any suggestions? I'm pretty good with circuits but honestly don't want to reverse engineer the thing to find the problem lol

Sigma
12-18-2012, 04:37 PM
For me, what has set the 1200 apart from other decks has been the pitch.
More torque = the deck reacts more quickly to pitch changes. The STR8-150 motor is accurate enough that if you get 2 copies of the same song and put them at the same pitch, they'll play all the way through with no drifting (not saying it's better than the 1200 here, but it's no worse and that's the important thing). Plus there is no centre click and there's a dedicated quartz lock button - as it should be on a DJ deck. For someone that uses a deck for sampling/scratching, the extra pitch range is helpful too.

There are other things that are better on the STR8-150 too. The RCAs connect externally, not internally. If you need to replace the cable, just unplug it. There's no ground wire, which on the 1200s is also attached internally. The target light is external too - if the bulb goes, just pull it off and pop another one on - you don't have to undo a hundred screws and basically conduct brain surgery just to swap out a bulb. The extra start/stop button is great if you have the decks battle style. The decks can be switched between phone and line output, so if you wanted to, you could use 4 decks with a 2 channel mixer.

There's other things that I don't care about so much - 78 playback (unlikely to ever use that!), and while adjustable stop has a use, I don't see much point in adjustable start. STR8-150s also have key lock built in, but it's not great.

contra
12-18-2012, 04:51 PM
:rolleyes: we all know real dj's pop in a pre-recorded set and push play. Get with the times guys.

ampnation
12-18-2012, 04:55 PM
One thing I've never understood was why turntables need a separate ground wire. Why don't they just use a standard grounding plug with 3 wires? I can't remember the last time I saw a receptacle that didn't have a ground.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Sigma
12-18-2012, 05:21 PM
One thing I've never understood was why turntables need a separate ground wire.
Some don't. My STR8-150s don't, for instance.

xyloft
12-18-2012, 06:02 PM
One thing I've never understood was why turntables need a separate ground wire. Why don't they just use a standard grounding plug with 3 wires? I can't remember the last time I saw a receptacle that didn't have a ground.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

gota remember how old some of these things are.

also, in techs the tone arm circuitry is not connected to the motor circuitry/power at all. so there is no way to ground the tone arm to the main power with they way they are built. (i guess you could add a wire to do this, but i'm talking stock).

ampnation
12-18-2012, 08:39 PM
I understand the Techs were designed a few years ago, but they've been updated since then. I see several models like 1210's and MG.. whatever. It just seems like they're not changing because "that's the way it's always been" unless there's a technical problem with grounding to the wall outlet ground. If you can mod them to do it, the manufacturer should be the one "modding" it IMO. Can I assume STR8-150's do have an outlet ground?

Sigma
12-18-2012, 09:26 PM
The STR8-150s are internally grounded and there is a ground lift switch on the back that you set depending on whether you have them switched to line or phono output. I'm not sure if that answers your question though, as I'm not very knowledgeable on this sort of stuff.

Manu
12-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Or you can output digitally with them for that matter.