PDA

View Full Version : Share your MCing tips

Austin GoGreen
02-18-2012, 05:41 PM
I play at a place that wants us to really talk up on the mic and work the crowd. I'm struggling with it because I tend to run out of things to say (mostly because I'm concentrating on my set and reading the crowds). I'm not afraid of the mic or the crowd, I just get caught up in the moment. Sometimes I'll go an hour without saying a thing. It doesn't effect my dance floor when I'm silent on the mic but I guess the owner is just old school.

I need some direction on how to work a crowd of about 200 in a small club/ atmosphere. Also, how do you project your energy to a smaller crowd on slow nights?

Just like your go-to bangers, what fail-proof sayings do you use on the mic to spike interest/energy?

Maikky
02-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Tell Jokes, personally I write them on my arms and try to look at them inconspicuously .

Rant about mainstream artists .

Use auto-tone filter and just make noises .

Say "Re-re-remix!" then drop some dubstep (Even if its not a remix) .

"Woop Woop Swag" never fails .

KLH
02-18-2012, 07:40 PM
MCing is always about filling the space between songs, IMHO. If you mix well, you should have nothing to worry about.

Besides, most Club owners only care about announcing drink specials. Don't sweat MCing. It's secondary to mixing.

-KLH

BrokenArr0w
02-19-2012, 03:24 AM
"Oh oh oh"
"Yeaaaah"
"Shorty"
"Remix"
"Get ya hands up"

.. hehe im kidding :lol:

I saw LMFAO recently... and best one I've heard ;

"My Dick, My Dick, My Dick won't suck itself"

Manu
02-19-2012, 05:50 AM
i have one line but haven't used it yet: "there is a fire, please leave the building."

I sent away countless amout of drunk wannabees who figured they could request the microphone and slur random gabba bullshit on top of my mixes...

Jimanee
02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
OK one trick I saw a DJ use to great effect, he played a fatboy slim track and announced a prize of £5 for the stupidest dance. It seriously kicked off some silly dancing, down side is that it does cost monay.

g-sep
02-19-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

MC's right here!

dlove
02-20-2012, 02:01 AM
I don't speak over the mic', but I do love Keb Darge's style... 'Dance Ya Fuckers!' and 'Come On Ya Bastards!' Being Scottish myself, I always thought I sounded too oary, until I heard Keb :D

Austin GoGreen
02-20-2012, 07:35 AM
OK one trick I saw a DJ use to great effect, he played a fatboy slim track and announced a prize of £5 for the stupidest dance. It seriously kicked off some silly dancing, down side is that it does cost monay.

Good stuff, I'm gonna use this one for sure.. It's easy and spikes energy. This spot I play at is in the burbs but it's a really popular bar that has a great crowd. This will go over well.

Austin GoGreen
02-20-2012, 07:39 AM
MCing is always about filling the space between songs, IMHO. If you mix well, you should have nothing to worry about.

Besides, most Club owners only care about announcing drink specials. Don't sweat MCing. It's secondary to mixing.

-KLH

Trust me I know, thanks for chiming in... I mix all night. This past Saturday I really took 'em to school. It's primarily hip hop but I took it club and snuck in some Dada Life, Bingo Players, Chuckies and more. I think the owner is starting to realize this - that mixing and good music speaks for itself. I was on point Saturday and built a very solid dance floor out of nothing. Again I only spoke on the mic to say a few limited things. I want to get better for myself.

JuxtaPoser
02-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Scream if you wanna go faster!

Jason Cerna
02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
'less is more' whenever you get on the mic to hype up the crowd.