PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney '12: Sedna vs Delta V - FINAL ROUND

Rek_Aviles
12-17-2012, 10:17 AM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/DJFTranceTourny2012.jpg

FINAL ROUND

MIX 1 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/DJFTranceTournamentFinal_Sedna_vs_Delta_V_1.mp3)

MIX 2 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/DJFTranceTournamentFinal_Sedna_vs_Delta_V_2.mp3)

RULES:

-1 hour mixes.

-Ghost votes do not count in the final score. In order for a vote to count, there must be a comment made by the Voter and he/she must have over 50 confirmed posts on DJForums.com.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?11940-Djf-2012-trance-tournament-rules-amp-entry-thread

**Will display users who voted, and what choice they voted for.**

JackStalk
12-18-2012, 12:51 PM
The first mix had clean and skilled mixing in my opinion, but the first 10 minutes almost made me go to sleep honestly. You had a trainwreck about 2/3 of the way through the mix and just left it like that. That is a complete no-no in the finals. The dubstep part near the end was offputting as well. The second mix was better, I liked the track selection more and felt it had better energy. I'm going to go with mix 2.

EDIT: Listened to parts of both mixes again

Ellissentials
12-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Good luck guys, sorry I wasn't able to produce a mixset in time. At least I was nearly first to produce a mix ALL the way up till now and voted on every round... :tup:

The winner of this is irrelevant though, I would have beat Sedna :devil: :lol:

Sedna
12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
The winner of this is irrelevant though, I would have beat Sedna :devil: :lol:

Keep dreaming, friend :lol:

M!TCH
12-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Finals finish this evening. Will listen to tomorrow. I still owe others a listen to their mixes for this. School got a bit overwhelming so I apologize to everyone. Looking forward to this though!

M!TCH
12-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Mix 1: Did this get recorded at a fairly low volume? Had to turn up my volume levels a bit. First track really feels like it is dragging on for a while and repetitive. Yeah, this first track is just not doing it for me. The first transition style did not work for me, the fade out just felt long. I almost feel like I am listening to a deep house track on this second one. Spot on in next transition. I'm starting to roll with the flow of this mix a little bit better. Mix is picking up quite a bit now. Mixing spot on. Not a fan of the transition out of Marco V - Unprepared. I feel like you really pulled it together at the end and turned what I thought was a well done mix aside from me not being to thrilled with the tracks into something great. Nice work! Now, onto the next one.

Mix 2: Intro is giving me Goose bumps. Deep and dark sounding, loving it. Timing was good on transition. Very relaxed so far, almost a bit to mellow for me. 15:30 track, really digging this build up (track ID?). Still tight mixing. Mix at 34:25 sounded off. Not a huge fan of the bells in this track. Solid mixing throughout. Wasn't a huge fan of last two tracks.

Going to have to go with Mix 2 on this one. It just sat better with me.

Sedna
12-22-2012, 03:31 AM
You're leavin' me hanging, Mitch!

tekno_violet
12-22-2012, 05:12 AM

Mix 1. really awesome

Mix 2. really awesome.

I'll vote later.

Thanks.

M!TCH
12-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Lol don't let me know which is yours. I'll get to it later today though!

EDIT: I lied. I'll get to it later today (Tuesday). Hangover yesterday was not feeling music and completely forgot :/ sorry guys. I'm sitting at airport for a few hours in the morning so I'll have time to nail it then.

Sedna
12-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Lol don't let me know which is yours. I'll get to it later today though!

I didn't, I just wanna know which you vote for!

M!TCH
12-22-2012, 02:09 PM
I didn't, I just wanna know which you vote for!

Oh lol. Once I listen to the second one I will post up!

Zafire
12-22-2012, 06:13 PM
First up congratulations to both of you for reaching the finals.

Mix 1 :

Started off reallllllyyyyy slowly and i noticed a couple of errors. Apart from that the rest of it was very tight transition wise. Good Job.

Mix 2 ;

Got straight in there with a fairly energetic start, the mix had a good vibe throughout and was well planned out. Again tight and clean mixing. Noticed no errors. Good Job.

For me personally i enjoyed both mixes, however i enjoyed mix 2 more. It just seemed better put together and was more up my street overall.

Best of luck to both of you.

ChrisHynds
12-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Listening to Mix 1 now will update as I go, also I wont have time for Mix 2 until either later or tomorrow, sorry to leave you hanging again Sedna

Mix 1 -

Intro - Diggin the deep vibes on this track, although you really let the track play out, dragged on a little too long on the transition but I suppose you are still warming things up, next track is nice and deep again, nice track selection so far, Im diggin it :tup: Lovin this 2nd track dude, heads bobbing along nicely.

Mixing out of the 2nd track into track 3, nice, everything lines up well, in key, smooth transition, sounds like your picking things up a little with this one, got a bit of a tech edge to it, still pretty deep, nice remix, I love the original of this (no homo) Lana Del Ray, right???? Nice energy built now, Im hoping you carry it on in the next track.

Mixing out of Lana Del Ray, very slight clip for a few beats on beatmatching, tracks breaking down quite a lot too, would have been nice to carry that energy over more with an earlier tranisition. Big funky bassline on this track, keeping things deep, I was hoping for more of an lift in energy after that last track, you had the perfect opportunity to get things moving after that last track but you choose to stay deep. Both tracks still work well together but I would like to hear it pick up a bit now.

Next mix, big long breakdown, kills the energy imo, everything goes flat on this track, your track selection has worked very well so far, there's a good direction on the set but the mixing style isnt doing much for me, very straight forward intro/outro so far.
"
I can hear "Unprepared" coming in :) whoop whoop :D, could have been much tighter here, the track fits perfectly in this set, nice choice. "Still I am unprepared for you for you for you" :love::tup:

Mixing out is a little sloppy again, c'mon man I know both of you mix much tighter than this usually wtf? Boom big electro-ish drop, changing things up and we have some energy now :)

Mix into the next track is sloppy and very late, I have a feeling your just pulling this together on the fly?

A&B coming in and again its all over the place,

Im not really sure what happened here, You started off well, I really liked the start of the set but it never really went anywhere from there, you changed up towards the end with some more energetic tracks, but I wasnst feeling any of them, to much electro for me. Mixing was very straightforward intro to outro for the most of it, which makes me think you were just mixing on the fly? The tracks flowed really well and the set had direction they just weren't mixed the best imo, which Im very surprised about, becuase I know both of you can throw down some great sets. A few beatmatching errors stood out and at this stage in the game, I dont think that should be happening as much as it did. Anyways wrapping it all up, the set had a good direction but could have been mixed better imo.

Will get round to Mix 2 asap :)

FUUUUCCCCKKKKKK, I had written out in detail the first 3 transitions then my Cat decides to sit on my laptop and click away the page, :facepalm: so Ill re-do from what I remember

Nice Deep intro track with a solid early transition on the first mix, really liked how long the mix was between track 1 and 2, seemed to roll on for about 2 mins nice stuff on that.

Next mix was clean and tidy, I think the track sounded very like Green Velvet but I could be wrong, it was very deep prog verging on techno anyways nice choice and fits the groove of the set well,

Mixing out into the femal vocal track could have been a little tigher with your beatmatching, you corrected this fast and Im just being picky, it really wasnt an issue, so solid stuff again and the trax are flowing beautifully so far, really deep prog sounds. Im diggin this set.

Next mix again nice n smooth,

coming in with Airwave (Cathederals of hope???), could have been tighter, a little beat clip but tidied up well, love the strings on this track,

mixing out of Airwave, everything is matched up well, just a lot of sounds going on with both tracks makes it a tad cluttered but again Im being picky, is this "Miss Shiva - Dreams" fucking choon man, those bells :love: I havent heard this track in years, whose this remix by???

Nice long mix out of Dreams, good drive in the set now we're in the business end of things, really got me pumped after Dreams and your keeping the energy up well with this next track.

Bit of a psy feel happening with this next track, flows well and solid mixing again,

Big heavy psy sounds coming through now at the end of the set, mixing could have been a little tighter here. Pretty heavy track!!!!

Mixing into the next track was much cleaner, sound very Simon Patterson??

Letting it breathe a bit on the mix into the final track, slowing things down to finish up, for a second I thought your final track was Airwave....... oh wait, is this a remix of airwave, if not its a complete rip off, lol, either way nice way to finish the set man.

Wrapping up,

Really digged this set, proper structure, great track selection, kinda lost me a bit in the last 10 minutes, Im not much of a psy fan but I get what you were doing, peaking with the heavier trax. A few little spots could have been tighter in mixing but for the majority of the set it was spot on, really enjoyable listen and solid set.

winner winner chicken dinner - MIX 2

PS - You had me at "Dreams" :P

Great job from both Dj's

ChrisHynds
12-29-2012, 02:00 AM
I will get some time this afternoon to finish my vote :)

Gareth
01-01-2013, 12:43 PM
I have finally managed to listen to both mixes... although I was doing other things at the same time, so couldn't give them quite as much attention as I would have liked.

Nonetheless, my feedback (for what it's worth) is as follows:

Mix 1:

Didn't like the intro, unfortunately. It didn't grab me and it seemed to go on for too long.

It wasn't until 10 mins in that you'd got my attention. Not sure which track is at the 10:00 minute mark but I really liked it. It would have made a better intro, in my opinion. It has lots of layers and builds nicely but has more punch than the track you chose to start with, which I found flat in comparison and, dare I say, quite boring. 6 minutes of this track is a nice amount but when you add the 10 mins of the first track as well it's a bit too long, and I'd have probably switched off normally.

The 3rd track is also good... Lana Del Rey, I think. It is a bit slow starting though, and considering the whole mix didn't get going for a good 10 mins I wasn't quite ready for the dip in energy. But when it got going it had me tapping my feet and fingers.

I liked the "I want you" track even though I'd not heard it before. It was another nice track which fitted the mix well, as did the next few tracks. Sadly the mixing out of Unprepared seemed a bit 'forced' and didn't quite work, which is a shame because the track was played at an ideal time in the mix and went really well with the track before it.

The whole change of direction of the mix at this point didn't really do it for me sadly. It seemed to move more and more away from trance into electro and even almost dubstep at 52:00.

Mix 2

Woah, the intro for this mix has grabbed me by the jugular and refuses to let go - I like it!

The whole mix has a much darker and deeper feel to it, but is also a lot more energetic too. It's actually quite difficult to remember much about this mix... Not because it was forgettable but because it seemed to flow and before I knew it I'd listened to the whole mix. Maybe if I listened to it again I could find things to critique but based solely on just the one listening I just remember thinking the track selection seemed to work well and the mix as a whole had a completeness to it.

Maybe it's because I listen less to this kind of darker, psy trance that I'm more forgiving and somehow less critical... Dunno.

Winner

I really enjoyed both mixes. The quality of the mixing and the track selection was generally very good. For me, though, mix 2 has the edge and got my vote. This is based primarily on the intro for mix 1 being too long for my liking and the change of direction towards electro / dubstep. Mix 2, however, seemed to stay within the one genre without veering off, and that intro really got my attention from the very start. Both mixes, though, were of high quality... I've heard worse mixes from some well-known DJs!

OONS
01-03-2013, 01:08 PM
50 confirmed posts to vote? how many do I have

[EDIT] 46 i see haha

Baller95
01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
That wasn't an edit^ it's ok though :P

OONS
01-03-2013, 01:45 PM
OK, i'm over 50 now (and no I didn't make junk posts).

Time to shower, then I'll listen to both mixes as I clean :teef:

OONS
01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Mix 1

Cool intro
(just a note to yourself for future recording) your volume level was pretty low on this recording as I had to really turn my system up
47:45 really lost a lot of energy that you build up over the whole set
sick dubstep/trance hybrid track (pm me the track ID plz)!
53 I heard the beats dance (slight mis-alignment on the beats)
great ending track

Mix 2

intro track sets a really nice groove
overall tighter mixing and greater energy transfer
omg the bell track fk yes!
this set has a really good mix of sub-genres.
I hear some straight or influenced prog, tech, some psy and even uplifting
great ending track (uplifting)

Overall

Mix 1 had more songs that I recognized and that I liked. However it's mixing wasn't as tight as Mix 2.
When I listen to a trance mix (in the club or at home), I want it to take me on a journey. Mix 1 at around 47:45 had a transition of kicks from one track to simply kicks from another track. I felt like the energy was being built up well throughout the whole mix, but when it got to this point, it wasn't handed off well enough to the next track. I'm going to go with Mix 2 as the winner for overall greater atmosphere, energy flow, and for taking me through a journey.

I know from experience of how hard it has been to get to this point for both of you. Well done to the both of you.

John Veselsky
01-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Thank god this battle dosen't end until after the weekend.

Must listen....time...not enough.

Sedna
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Thank god this battle dosen't end until after the weekend.

Actually, you can thank Rek =D

Sedna
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Seems we got a couple ghost votes, can we get some feedback guys? @ ItsTheSurge and kickkickklapp

JackStalk
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
bigger blowout than....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/thumbnail_570x321/2011/07/jerseyshorejs23_a_l.jpg

Ocie
01-06-2013, 04:17 PM
currently listening to the second mix. i'll pick a winner in a bit.

Delta V
01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
bigger blowout than....

lol 5char

John Veselsky
01-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Mix 1:

Enjoyed then Intro even if it was a bit played out.

Liked the remix @16:36

Like the track @ 43:08

I enjoy some electro for energy, but there was too much in this mix.

Some beatmatching mistakes too :(

Mix 2:

Wasn't sure about he intro at first, but it grew on me.

Great mixing for the first 3-4 tracks.

One beatmatching mistake throughout the mix.

I personally enjoyed mix 2 more, had more of a darker prog feel to it.

John Veselsky
01-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Actually, you can thank Rek =D

Like I said, thank God.

Ocie
01-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Trance is far from my general tastes in dance music, but I figured the DJF trance battle would be a place to get into it :lol:

Mix 1: I noticed the errors, but I won't harp on your for them. You know it could be tighter. I liked a few tracks you used.

Mix 2: The track selection did it for me. I felt like the overall mix moved well. I loved the energy you brought in the first 15 or so minutes.

Mix 2 gets my vote.

KLH
01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
I enjoyed this battle... even though it took a long time to listen to both mixes! I love trance and I'm surprised how varied it can be. A case in point are these two submissions... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Here's some feedback:

Mix 1
This is what I was expecting when I started listening. I like the soft and gentle opening track. Lots of pads and atmosphere. The beat just fills out the sound perfectly without being in your face. I was lulled into a chill state up front. When the next two tracks increased the energy, it was done with subtlety. Even though the tracks started getting darker and harder, by the time it happened I was already in my entranced by the flow. This is what the trance genre means to me... a sonic voyage where flow overrides individual tracks.

Mechanically speaking, the transitions were buttah smoov. The flow was key here. Nothing was jarring so as to not upset the trance state. This is as close to seamless as this genre gets, IMHO. Well done. If I have to critique anything, it was the abrupt ending. I would have faded the tracks out or ended on an echo. Having such an ending broke me from my trance state immediately. Oh well. What 'cha gonna do? It's the end.

Mix Two
This mix was the opposite in style to the other mix. It was upfront and in your face. The opening was strong - even without a beat - and told the listener "You WILL be listening to this, bish! I will NOT be denied!" I'm a sucker for echos and the opening has a lot of synth pads and echos. I love it but this is not a chill mix; there's attitude aplenty here. When the next tracks kick in, the attitude ramps up a bit. This mix would be great for a dancefloor... where recreational (ahem) substances abound. This is what I imagine epic clubs in Ibiza sound like at 3AM.

Mechanically speaking, the transitions were great - same buttery smoothness that the other mix has. The flow was on point as well. What about the ending? Excellent - Echo fade of a cymbal. Nice.

How the HELL am I supposed to pick one over the other when the DJ skills are sooo similar? The only thing that separates these two mixes are the tracks themselves and the vision for what trance means. Mix 1 obviously focuses on the intimate experience where Mix 2 obviously focuses on the shared mind-blowing experience. They're both right and both mixes are perfectly done!

I know this is a battle but jesus tap dancing christ, can you make it easier for people to determine a winner? I hate to say it but both should win this battle as there's nothing wrong with the mixes, skills, or song selection.

So if there's nothing wrong with the mixes, it must come down to something petty and arbitrary. I'm voting for mix 1 because it has a more laid-back chill vibe to it. I hope that this arbitrary decision pisses off both contestants because I'm pissed off having to vote for only one.

You guys are great and regardless of who wins, I can't wait to hear more mixes... so that I win.

-KLH

Sedna
01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the votes everyone! I was mix 2 (I'm sure by now most of you can tell which is mine by my track selection anyway... lololol).

Props to Delta for jumping in at the last minute and filling the empty spot. Delta made it to the finals last year, and is a phenomenal DJ all around.

Tracklist for Mix 2:

1. Digital Mess - Blizzard (LoQuai Remix)
2. Mauro Norti - Aphasia (Travis MacDonald Remix)
3. Spektre - Harpoon (Alex Di Stefano Remix)
4. Kings of Addiction - Mind Games
5. Timewave - The Essence (Relaunch Remix)
6. Airwave - Cathedrals of Hope
7. Lissat & Voltaxx - Dreams 2012 (Original Mix)
8. John 00 Fleming - Mustang (Relaunch Remix)
9. Memento - Silicon Sound
10. John 00 Fleming - 1440 Minutes
11. William Daniel - Type R (Will Atkinson Remix)
12. Tom Cloud - C-Sharp

Tom Cloud's "C-Sharp" is a cover of the original "C-Sharp" by The Quest, circa 2000. One of my favorite trance tracks of all time.

Delta V
01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
11. William Daniel - Type R (Will Atkinson Remix)

Loved when you brought this one in, always play this one when I play faster trance.

Excellent job Sedna, your a fantastic trance DJ. I look forward to more trance battles / tourneys (I think this is like my 3 or 4th), maybe one day I'll get that championship haha :)

kyle133
01-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Delta V, can you post up your track listing? I enjoyed your track choice alot more :)

Delta V
01-13-2013, 08:36 PM
^Sorry didnt' see that till now!

Tracklist:
Guy J - Azimuth
16 Bit Lolitas - The Rise
Lana Del Rey - Videogames (Ali Wilson Tekelect Remix)
Mark James feat Harnish - I Want You (Steve May Remix) *serious crate diggin right here*
Matthew Dekay pres Proluctors - BAD
Marco V - Unprepared (Extended Mix)
Husman - Break Down
Purple Stories - Palm Island (Original Mix)
Above & Beyond - Think Called Love (Club Mix)