PDA

View Full Version : Midi controller question

bnr
02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Hi guys

So i finally have the money to buy my own equipment after many years of waiting :slayer:
And now that it comes down to actually making the decision, i have no idea what to do lol.

Here's my situation - i am very limited on space in my current home and so want to start out on a midi controller to save space and money. I want to eventually be cd dj though so i want my first setup to be good practice for that which is why i like the ddj t1. Its set up like a pair of cdjs and a mixer so I think it fits my purposes well.

But, i like the s4 because it has more features and seems to be a 'real' controller as opposed to the t1 which seems to be a pair of cdjs that dont play cds. And of course pio is well known for making overpriced equipment and the t1 seems very cheap and plasticky compared to the s4. Also the s4 can be used as a stand alone mixer which i can use with my cd players when i get them.

Any advice??

blackfoxbb
02-18-2012, 08:23 AM
s4 can't be used as stand alone mixer.
denon dn mc-6000 can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2TO9nvCgw0

Subprime
02-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Any chance you could get to a shop where you could try them out side by side?

mostapha
02-18-2012, 12:28 PM
For your purposes, I'd seriously consider the t1 or s1. I don't like them much, and they definitely feel more like cdj400s than cdj2000s, but they're probably the closest thing of their size/price.

KLH
02-18-2012, 12:43 PM
I want to eventually be cd dj though so i want my first setup to be good practice...
Also the s4 can be used as a stand alone mixer which i can use with my cd players when i get them.
Answering backwards, the S4 can be used to route external sound sources into the S4's output but a computer (usually running Traktor Pro) is required to do so. The S4 certainly is a practical solution for most DJs with limited space, but if your heart lies with a CDJ setup get it.

CDJ setups aren't too much bigger than the S4... unless you get the top-of-the-line CDJs. Getting two Denon 1200s and a Xone:22 (dual-source DJ mixer) is a great setup. It's very flexible too as you can easily add a DVS later.

-KLH

TheFrenchWay
02-18-2012, 12:54 PM
My advice would be to go try them out at a store. If you are looking for a CDJ type feeling, you will be closer to that feeling with the DDJ T1 for sure.

S4 is great aswell. They are both great controllers and have many features but it all comes down to which one you are more comfortable working with.

bnr
02-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone.
Unfortunately there arent any dj stores in my city, just a few music equipment stores that stock some low end dj equipment and no midi controllers.

I'm still leaning towards the t1, even though the s4 does seem to be a better controller. I want to be able to learn the basics of djing and the t1 seems to be a better option for that. Take the pitch control for example. The t1 has it in the same place as a cdj which is easy to access and it'll help me get used to beatmatching on a normal cdj. The s4 has a smaller pitch fader and i dont really like where they've placed it. It looks like it'll be awkward having one hand on the pitch and one hand on the small jogs and trying to beatmatch manually.

As far as getting cdjs later, i'll just have to get a new mixer for that when the time comes/

Thanks again :tup:

DJ Matt
02-18-2012, 01:40 PM
i would be thinking a denon MC6000
because unlike the S4 it actually IS a standalone mixer

& those jog wheels are pretty nice event if they are a bit smaller than those of the pioneer T1

and you can add the cd decks to it later, rather than having to ditch the controller when you buy them

mostapha
02-18-2012, 01:58 PM
There are much better mixers than the mc6000, and if he's going this direction, he's going to want one.

Controllers aren't the future for everybody.

DJ Matt
02-18-2012, 02:53 PM
There are much better mixers than the mc6000, and if he's going this direction, he's going to want one.

Controllers aren't the future for everybody.

well heres what the OP said

i am very limited on space in my current home and so want to start out on a midi controller to save space and money. I want to eventually be cd dj though

are you saying that he should avoid midi controllers? i accept that, if he wants to go with CDs then that is probably decent advice

but for what he actually asked.. i think the mc6000 is probably the best option since it offers the best of both worlds, unless you know a better one?

B.Frank
02-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Since you're leaning towards the t1 something to think about is the Traktor version that is bundled with it is not the full version but the Pioneer version. It's not lacking in too many features really, but Traktor is coming out with a huge update sometime in the next few months (google Traktor 2.5 announcement if you're interested) and there's no telling if Pioneer will upgrade their version as well. The upgrade is mostly centered around the sample player so if that's something you can live without then go for it!

mostapha
02-18-2012, 03:20 PM
@Matt, nope. If he wants to go cdj in the long run, there's no reason to look at that hybrid bullshit. He'd just buy a mixer then anyway. I kinda think that doing both is pretty pointless. Using an all-in-one unit kinda seems like it should be an all or nothing thing as well...because the instant you start adding pieces, you realize that a lot of budget mixers slam the ones in controllers in terms of feel.

@b, the pio version of traktor might be better...just not tempting him with stuff he'd have to give up going to cdjs. Besides, since when were you limited to the version that comes with your controllers?

bnr
02-18-2012, 04:37 PM
I like the mc6k because it has the ability to work as a mixer. But im really not bothered if i have to buy a stand alone mixer at a later stage when i change to cdjs. Im not gonna be making that change any time soon anyway.

As for the traktor software - i'm only starting out so i'm just looking at basic functions for now. As mostapha pointed out, i'm sure i can upgrade to a better version of traktor if i want to. But for now, the software is just gonna be a a music source so i can load my tracks and start practicing the basics. Sampling decks can come into play way down the line when i actually have the basics under my belt.