PDA

View Full Version : Visuals for DJ mixes.

DJNR
12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to this section so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong kind of question for this section.

YouTube recently changed their upload times which makes it possible for me to upload my DJ mixes without having to worry about it being limited. In order to make the videos more than just music, I want to have some sort of visuals that would go along with the music in the video rather than just placing my logo.

Is there software out there that would allow me to do this?

noize_unit
12-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to this section so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong kind of question for this section.

YouTube recently changed their upload times which makes it possible for me to upload my DJ mixes without having to worry about it being limited. In order to make the videos more than just music, I want to have some sort of visuals that would go along with the music in the video rather than just placing my logo.

Is there software out there that would allow me to do this?

Only one that comes to mind atm is Modul8 but there are others when i get home (at work) ill look up my list as i have been toying with the idea of getting lighting and visuals setup in my lounge at home

ben mills
12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Why not just do a video mix? Much more interesting and the people can see what you are actually doing.

Make the video look nice and inviting, and just do it that way.

noize_unit
12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Why not just do a video mix? Much more interesting and the people can see what you are actually doing.

Make the video look nice and inviting, and just do it that way.

so prerecord a set then mix video to it live? seems less fun, most people dont have a library of music vids with music to be able to mix both, i wish there was a way to use the milkdrop plugin from winamp, great visuals (for an automated program)

DJNR
12-10-2012, 05:49 PM
so prerecord a set then mix video to it live? seems less fun, most people dont have a library of music vids with music to be able to mix both, i wish there was a way to use the milkdrop plugin from winamp, great visuals (for an automated program)

I think what Ben Mills is saying is that I should record myself when I mix. My podcasts take forever as is, and I don't really want to have to juggle audio AND video because I'm using ableton to record. I just want something that can do visuals to the mix and then be able to upload that project to youtube.

Synaxis
12-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Well, normally, I composite some visuals along with audio in After Effects. Although that is from scratch and is a bit time consuming. (Similar to these: http://content.videoblocks.com/2012/10/free-audio-visualizer-after-effects-templates.html)

I do not know of any video editors that include built in audio visualizers.

Perhaps you can try capturing/screen recording a programs visuals while playing your mix? Save the captured video, and upload that.

Edit: I believe FL Studio has some sort of visualizer. Might be worth checking out?

DJNR
12-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Adobe After Effects? So in essence, if I am willing to put the time in, I can achieve what I want with that program?

Synaxis
12-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Adobe After Effects? So in essence, if I am willing to put the time in, I can achieve what I want with that program?

Yep, pretty much. Although there is a learning curve, but you can practically do anything in AE. It's expensive too :/

I had a video somewhere around here as an example to demonstrate the capabilities. I'll try to find it and upload it.

Although I think there might be simpler ways to achieve what you want.

Synaxis
12-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Here we go. It's still processing as of now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Iucy1bUuI

Some more examples:
I might actually try these next!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd1N7YO1a4U

DJNR
12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Dang it. Just what I need, another learning curve on an Adobe product :argh: I am going to give it a shot, but if anybody else has an easier suggestion let me know.

ben mills
12-10-2012, 10:39 PM

No, I mean record it live with webcam while you are spinning. Set your webcam to record the line in - some will detect and do so automatically.

A real video mix like that on YouTube will get a lot of hits. People like to see that rather than just a graphic. Check the link in my sig for an idea.

noize_unit
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
No, I mean record it live with webcam while you are spinning. Set your webcam to record the line in - some will detect and do so automatically.

A real video mix like that on YouTube will get a lot of hits. People like to see that rather than just a graphic. Check the link in my sig for an idea.

i just see a vid of you mixing audio dont see any VDJ, but i did just skimmed tho.... i believe DJNR is wanting to do Visualizations that (i know this is gonna sound cheesy) "dance to the music" kinda like what you would see at a festival with those big LED panel or video mapped projection setups

Correct me if im wrong, i could be way off base

DJNR
12-11-2012, 03:28 PM
No you're right, that's exactly what I want

noize_unit
12-11-2012, 04:57 PM
No you're right, that's exactly what I want

The way im going to go about it, is use a program like modul8 and setup 'scenes' ahead of time much like you would do with lighting then be able to control it easily from a tablet using a app like touch osc or something to that effect so i can focus on my music and still easily do vdjing, but another idea of mine was to pre record a video mix i would do (and have a couple of these) then run it in the software point it to the audio and be able to make it a sound active while playing, but idk if that last idea is even possible still stuff im slowly trying to work the kinks out of , i really want to get a projector and video map as well but havent really been able to come up with a way to have this all work with lighting setup all run in the background with minimum interaction from me so i can focus on the music, kinda make the music the driving controller behind lights and visuals just dont know if its a possibility yet