PDA

View Full Version : Denon DN-S1200 or CDJ? Help needed!

Gjhowe1
02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Hey guys,

So ive been using a digital setup for about a year and a half now and was considering moving more in the direction of the CD / DVS system. I know most of the new players have the option of being configured as DVS, CD, USB or controller/soundcard (via midi map) so i thought that buying a pair would let me try out different styles to see which one suite me the best. I considered TT's for a while but i have a small residence room and there is simply not enough space.

This being said ive started looking at either the Denon DN-S1200 or a Pioneer CDJ 350/400 type setup. Both are solid in build quality, I currently own a Denon mixer and controller and have been satisfied with their quality.

I'm looking for some input from the CD users here on the forum as my knowledge is limited. Some things to consider:

-I'm not planing on doing any scratching, I play mostly EDM / Top 40 type music.
-I'm impartial to traktor / serato. Used both systems and am comfortable on them, so compatibility as a native midi controller is not a factor.
-These will be purchased in a few months, I would prefer to buy used over new to save some money. I would like to spend under 1000 for the pair.
- I would like the units to be able to double as a midi map controller as well as cd player if possible.

Anyways looking for some advice / reviews / pros / cons or any other useful info you might have to share!

Thanks everyone!

Rick_N
02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Pretty much flip a coin or try them both out. The denons will probably be cheaper, but im pretty sure the cdj-400's and dn-s1200 will both do everything you that your asking for. So its personal preffrence in the end.

silentsounds
02-17-2012, 09:23 PM
As far as value goes, the 1200s are very good bang for buck. TRY them out though. I owned a pair for about 3 years and while everything was good for the most part, the rubber buttons will drive you crazy. More caution should be taken when buying used.

DJ Riddims
02-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I have owned my DN-S1200s for a few years now and they have held up great. The rubber buttons were an issue but it has caused me to become a button masher instead of a button pusher so it is no longer a problem.

silentsounds
02-17-2012, 10:58 PM
I have owned my DN-S1200s for a few years now and they have held up great. The rubber buttons were an issue but it has caused me to become a button masher instead of a button pusher so it is no longer a problem.

I babied my gear and never took it out anywhere and still came across issues with the buttons. In the OPs case, he is planning on buying used which makes it all the more necessary to be cautious. With that said though, the 1200s are very decent decks for beginners and intermediate DJs.

Gjhowe1
02-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far everyone! I would defiantly like to demo the units before i buy them if at all possible. Just to clarify, when you say "rubber button issue" do you mean they stick? unresponsive?

silentsounds
02-18-2012, 01:57 PM
When you buy them new they are responsive. Over time however, you need to press them in harder. Eventually they start sticking and only respond when hit with certain pressure and at certain angles. It's not the case with all of them, but I've seen a good number of reports about the issue on varying Denon models. And don't even think of mentioning this on the Denon forums because the fanboys and mods out there are adamant to blame these issues on bad use.

Try them out, but be careful when buying used.

DJ Highline
02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I echo what others have said....except for the buttons...I never really had any problems with them...but that's just me. A pair of S1200s should run you about $600 used and if they are in good condition, they are an amazing piece of kit that can do soooooo much. With that said, it might be worth a wait (it may be a long one) for the new Denon models to be released. They just unveiled the new flagship model that uses new technology and software and one can only assume that other models are in the pipeline about to be released soon.