PDA

View Full Version : Mixing vocal trance not in key

kick6
12-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Other than outro/intro mixing, what other techniques are people using to mix trance, especially vocal and highly melodic trance tracks that aren't in key?

ChrisHynds
12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
If they are'nt in key, its going to be difficult to get them to work together any earlier than intro/outro mixing. The earlier you bring a track in, the more there is going on melodically with both tracks, hence the clash.

Each track is different and there are always exceptions to the rule but in general if they are off key and you try to mix in too early, they will clash.

kick6
12-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Kinda what I figured. I was just making sure I wasn't missing some important skill.

JackStalk
12-04-2012, 12:40 PM
You can use hot cues, or a stutter effect to build into the other track. It would basically almost be like mixing top40, but it wouldn't sound very clean. I don't really advise against mixing vocal tracks that arent in key. You could do vocal->short instrumental-> vocal though, and then they wouldnt overlap. You also have a connector track in between so it's easier to switch keys. The worst key clash in my opinion is a minor key vocal into a major key vocal.

montgomery
12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Also looping out a section without vocals or to much melody can work wonders. Also opens up a lot of doors as far as transitioning IMO.