PDA

View Full Version : What next? help with my basic light setup :D

whiterob
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
OK so I want to expand my lighting piece by piece, as I really don't use it much anymore as I have shifted from mobile dj to club dj, but I have a new residency that will pay quite well weekly if I bring my own gear again, so looking to expand my light setup.

Currently what I have and will keep is:

Chauvet Derby X (I think that is what it is), 4 Colorsplash JR's, ADJ Megaflash, and just a small green laser for the kids, and the basic light stands and truss. Chauvet DMX-7 controller

I used to have it set up like in the pic, but before the forum went down, I was told to just run it on the T's rather than the truss and it did make it look nicer. What I have been doing is just using one T with the derby x on one side, and the laser on the other, then on the far sides I put one colorsplash on each, then take the other two and put them on the ground behind my facade. Actually looks nice. (also have a couple more lights I was using.. ADJ electra's, but those are going away)

Anyways what should be my next step? more wash type lights, or something like a Revo 4? I don't have a strict budget, but really want to keep it low as I don't use them all too often. What I do love about my setup is I can be fully set up (lights and sound) in a half hour. I will get some pics up of what all I am talking about so you can better understand it.

Thanks alot in advanced.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k427/2knoma/5532538e.jpg
"the old setup, which sucked"

Synaxis
02-17-2012, 09:53 PM
What exactly is your budget? Hard to recommend something if we don't know how much your willing to spend.

Also, your speakers seem to be too low in the pic. Just a recommendation :)

whiterob
02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Sorry, was out of town for the weekend... I agree the speakers were low for that gig, although the tweets were still at about 6'8" high, so not too bad.. I was flying solo that day, and lifting those 100lb behemoths above your head is a nightmare.

As for a budget, really I just want to start piece by piece, on a lower budget. So to throw a number we will say $200 +/- per fixture max.So obviously moving heads are out, but would some scanners be a good start?

DYM
02-20-2012, 10:01 AM
What is your MAX budget? In total?

whiterob
02-20-2012, 02:24 PM
well would like to keep it around $200 a week (the money I get from a weekly bar gig, where I just show up with my computer), with no real max budget. I don't need an excessive crazy awesome lights, but just something to be a good base lightshow. NOt looking to be the best, just something that is presentable

DJ Higgumz
02-20-2012, 08:18 PM
well if you want lights that you turn on and forget about, the adj quickscan system is pretty decent. no duty cycles. i'm going all dmx, so i will be looking to sell them if your interested, i'd take $200 for all four. if you have fog, they look astonishing in it. i live in wisconsin, hopefully shipping could be cheap

LiteTrix
02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
No offense, But the ADJ Quickscan system is a complete joke.

DJStevieRay
02-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Get a ADJ Quad Phase, or Revo 3/4 for more of a floor filling centerpiece.

DJ Higgumz
02-20-2012, 11:05 PM
No offense, But the ADJ Quickscan system is a complete joke.

I wouldn't say that. Its good at what it does- turn on and forget it. No it's no roboscan, but it weighs less than 5 lbs. No duty cycle, master/slave capability. Simple design but effective, wide spread area. Good for beginners and filling a floor full of light. What sucks is the single color gobo

whiterob
02-21-2012, 11:42 AM
As for the quick scan, thanks for the offer, but I am thinking I am going to start out with just some floor fillers (like the suggested Revo and quad phase) When I do go with scanners, I will want/need something DMX, as everything else I have is, and my controller has all the scanner functions. (have borrowed a friends Intimidators in the past) I think I may order the quad phase this week, then maybe the week after get a Revo 4 (I like it a lot better than the 3, but you do pay for it)

Synaxis
02-22-2012, 10:49 AM
How about these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/american-dj-dekker-led-lighting-effect

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/chauvet-cubix-multicolored-led-centerpiece-fx