PDA

View Full Version : Beat mixing isn't enough per Brianredd's video

Evolved
02-17-2012, 04:18 PM
For anyone that hasn't yet thought very much about this subject matter. You can take a look at Brian's video here titled "Beat mixing is not enough".

Since I wanted to comment on it, but not on Youtube because it'll never get read due to so many. I think this is good information for a lot of beginning DJ's as well.

Brianredd's Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8F41VNjRIU&list=UU7AlDfYGk0PkFLZYnOJ_dFg&index=3&feature=plcp)

Everytime I get on youtube I go to his channel to see what his latest video is about or elaskins. I really enjoy watching them but I wanted to get input from DJ forums on this one video in particular.

In the video he explains that just downloading tracks and beat matching them together isn't enough. He later indicates at the end of the video that if you are trying to land gigs at large clubs or venues then you have to do more.

I would think that anyone who wants to land those large venues he speaks of should already know this and I agree with him. My first thought is that there probably isn't an aspiring gig DJ or hobbyist that doesn't want to do more than just mix beats! How much fun is that, right? But at the same time this is not entirely accurate in terms of a crowd not feeling your set. If you are able to take tracks and mix them well and built up a dance floor without doing 'more'. Then it is all good. I guess I'd like to see more of an extensive definition of more. Other than (programmed track lists).

What I don't completely agree with in this video is the programming aspect. Unless I interpreted him wrong. You should never for example have 10 tracks that you have prepared to play at a gig and just play them all like a robot. I asked Dale Anderson some years ago if he just took a list of tracks he had programmed and played it all the way through. His reply was "No, never". He went on to explain how it is important to listen to your set all the way through (like a home practice set) and learn from your mistakes. You can practice and enjoy in the privacy of your own home but also learn from any gigs you start out at to see what you should or should not have done.

Another statement Brian makes here is that you have to play music that people want to hear. Does everyone here agree with that?
I am not interested in weddings or sweet sixteen parties where top 40 would be most in style. I want to stick to the music I like and I guess the crowd that finds my music interesting. So maybe this message is not focused on someone like myself, I don't know. But part of being a DJ is being able to expose people to new music. The technology is in front of us to create amazing sound and not even have to know how to play an instrument. Though it might make a lot of actual musicians think we as DJ's are only "playback engineers" - I really don't care.

Ultimately I agree that a DJ needs to do more, but we are hounded these days by band members that say we are just playback engineers and not artists. I don't think a DJ ever claimed to be an 'artist' in that context anyway.

TheFrenchWay
02-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Very interesting video. Enjoyed watching and he made good points. You can't always be a selfish DJ and play what YOU like especially if it's rare electro tracks.
If it's mixed appropriately I am sure it will be well received.

sobi
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
He's a good guy with extremely valid points, and has a wealth of imformation. That being said, truly successful club jocks can make just as much if not more money than a mobile guy like him. Since that is a fact, I'd take his opinion on club stuff with a grain of salt seeing how he is primarily a mobile guy. That's where he makes his money, it's what he does, and is where he actively works and has current knowledge. Right or wrong, I think it's better to take club DJ advice from a successful club DJ. If I want photo advice for shooting sports, I sooner take it from someone who does it for a living over someone who just brings their camera to a game once in a while.

VjQue
02-18-2012, 12:59 PM
everything he said is the truth and I mean everything. knowing how to read the crowd and programming the songs is the key. go to all those place's and see what hot songs gets them dancing, also know when to play it. he didn't mention it but don't go playing a club banger at 9pm then when everybody comes in there asking for it again. know how to flow with the crowd. beat mixing is something you need to learn but its not go make you that bomb ass club DJ. never play what you want to hear. stay in a tempo that has everybody flowing. practice at home and organize your music. organize from the same bpm to doubling that bpm and mixing in a track with the same tempo but at a higher bpm. don't be afraid to as what song they like to hear or take request. these are golden pointer to enhance you ability to read the crowd. You first time in a club you go suck plain and simple no matter what they say. I'm a all around DJ and only difference is the wedding Gigs which turns into a mini family club. they want to hear all the new music and old music not just club bangers. I have a harder time cause I'm a video DJ so if a song don't have video I have to make one up which is easy so im always set. also know what to charge and don't be cheap. If You feel that $150 is good then stay out the clubs, if you wanna do it for free just to get out there, Stay Home, Don't sell Tickets just to DJ. Reason being is cuz us DJ's That make $400 or more are getting shafted by the under cutter's then when they wanna ask for more money whey will say I can find another $100 DJ Like you.

DJ Matt
02-18-2012, 01:56 PM
i agree with him

mixing is important but just mixing on its own is not enough, the music has to be engaging

especially if it is a demo mix

Era 7
02-18-2012, 02:29 PM
when i play i play what i like and hope that the people enjoy it too. if i wanted to play "what the people want to hear" i would probably be playing top 40. my goal is showing them that something else might be even better than what they would want to hear. but if you sense the dancefloor is feeling what is play i of course stick with it for some time and somehow "give them what they want".
just my take on that.

Hamza21
02-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Everytime I get on youtube I go to his channel to see what his latest video is about or elaskins. I really enjoy watching them but I wanted to get input from DJ forums on this one video in particular.

In the video he explains that just downloading tracks and beat matching them together isn't enough. He later indicates at the end of the video that if you are trying to land gigs at large clubs or venues then you have to do more.

I would think that anyone who wants to land those large venues he speaks of should already know this and I agree with him. My first thought is that there probably isn't an aspiring gig DJ or hobbyist that doesn't want to do more than just mix beats! How much fun is that, right? But at the same time this is not entirely accurate in terms of a crowd not feeling your set. If you are able to take tracks and mix them well and built up a dance floor without doing 'more'. Then it is all good. I guess I'd like to see more of an extensive definition of more. Other than (programmed track lists).

I didn't watch the whole video most of it you must understood what he meant by "more". More means more then beatmatching. Why not play an instrumental of track rather than vocal track. Why not drop an instrumental of one track over another? Why not make blend live using an acapella of one track and an instrumental of another tune? How about just playing the intro of track,beatjuggling the beat. How about not cutting the bass on one track and beatmatching every song! How just slamming sometimes not blending every track? In other words do more! If anyone has been deejaying for more than a year and all you know it to beatmatch then you skill as deejay is severely lacking.

What I don't completely agree with in this video is the programming aspect. Unless I interpreted him wrong. You should never for example have 10 tracks that you have prepared to play at a gig and just play them all like a robot. I asked Dale Anderson some years ago if he just took a list of tracks he had programmed and played it all the way through. His reply was "No, never". He went on to explain how it is important to listen to your set all the way through (like a home practice set) and learn from your mistakes. You can practice and enjoy in the privacy of your own home but also learn from any gigs you start out at to see what you should or should not have done.

I don't who "Dale Anderson' is but he's seems like some edm dj who only plays certain genre of music. You can't apply his advice to other genres of music where there isn't standard formula where to mix. Not having set list is kiss of death for a nonedm deejay. You can't just wing it with other genres of music you have know to where to mix and where not to. You can't just randomly throw songs on like you can with edm.

DJ Matt
02-18-2012, 02:46 PM
when i play i play what i like and hope that the people enjoy it too. if i wanted to play "what the people want to hear" i would probably be playing top 40. my goal is showing them that something else might be even better than what they would want to hear. but if you sense the dancefloor is feeling what is play i of course stick with it for some time and somehow "give them what they want".
just my take on that.

i disagree with you to an extent

yes a lot of people want to hear top 40 for whatever reasons , but people have brains aswell, just look around at any club wich doesnt play top 40 still has plenty of customers

its more of a question of knowing your specific market and playing what THEY want

:)

Evolved
02-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Please define a how is any dj supposed to know what 'everyone' likes.. whatever happened to you playing your own tracks and finding out people like them? Playing for everyone and trying to please everyone at the expense of enjoying what you do? I don't like that.

Era 7
02-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Please define a how is any dj supposed to know what 'everyone' likes.. whatever happened to you playing your own tracks and finding out people like them? Playing for everyone and trying to please everyone at the expense of enjoying what you do? I don't like that.

*jukebox mode ENGAGED*

Evolved
02-20-2012, 08:02 AM
I didn't watch the whole video most of it you must understood what he meant by "more". More means more then beatmatching. Why not play an instrumental of track rather than vocal track. Why not drop an instrumental of one track over another? Why not make blend live using an acapella of one track and an instrumental of another tune? How about just playing the intro of track,beatjuggling the beat. How about not cutting the bass on one track and beatmatching every song! How just slamming sometimes not blending every track? In other words do more! If anyone has been deejaying for more than a year and all you know it to beatmatch then you skill as deejay is severely lacking.

I don't who "Dale Anderson' is but he's seems like some edm dj who only plays certain genre of music. You can't apply his advice to other genres of music where there isn't standard formula where to mix. Not having set list is kiss of death for a nonedm deejay. You can't just wing it with other genres of music you have know to where to mix and where not to. You can't just randomly throw songs on like you can with edm.

Electronic dance music is so much more flexible and allows for more creativity at least for me. Growing up in the 90's I would always see a lot of pop songs that were very popular like "Janet Jackson's - Alright" being remixed to a more electronic dance music style. Then there were others. It just seemed to move in that direction, I saw more creativity in that. I would never be a purist.

But -I would also never give in to pure pressure so to speak all the time. I would at best compromise. I am there to display my flavor/talent and if they don't like it I'll move on.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daleanderson/biography Dale Anderson is a EDM DJ Producer. Very Talented.

Evolved
02-20-2012, 08:05 AM
i disagree with you to an extent

yes a lot of people want to hear top 40 for whatever reasons , but people have brains aswell, just look around at any club wich doesnt play top 40 still has plenty of customers

its more of a question of knowing your specific market and playing what THEY want

:)

See - I did this at one of my first gigs and later wasn't glad I did - even though just a couple that I gave in to - liked it. I had fun but it also made me realize I didn't want to do this in the future and please the masses.

Evolved
02-20-2012, 08:06 AM
*jukebox mode ENGAGED*

Juke box mode? what are you talking about Era lol

Era 7
02-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Juke box mode? what are you talking about Era lol

as in playing what everybody likes.

Evolved
02-20-2012, 08:15 AM
everything he said is the truth and I mean everything. knowing how to read the crowd and programming the songs is the key. go to all those place's and see what hot songs gets them dancing, also know when to play it. he didn't mention it but don't go playing a club banger at 9pm then when everybody comes in there asking for it again. know how to flow with the crowd. beat mixing is something you need to learn but its not go make you that bomb ass club DJ. never play what you want to hear. stay in a tempo that has everybody flowing. practice at home and organize your music. organize from the same bpm to doubling that bpm and mixing in a track with the same tempo but at a higher bpm. don't be afraid to as what song they like to hear or take request. these are golden pointer to enhance you ability to read the crowd. You first time in a club you go suck plain and simple no matter what they say. I'm a all around DJ and only difference is the wedding Gigs which turns into a mini family club. they want to hear all the new music and old music not just club bangers. I have a harder time cause I'm a video DJ so if a song don't have video I have to make one up which is easy so im always set. also know what to charge and don't be cheap. If You feel that $150 is good then stay out the clubs, if you wanna do it for free just to get out there, Stay Home, Don't sell Tickets just to DJ. Reason being is cuz us DJ's That make $400 or more are getting shafted by the under cutter's then when they wanna ask for more money whey will say I can find another $100 DJ Like you.

Wow. See now I agree with DJ Matt in regards to what he said to knowing your market Although your market is your crowd and what I am realizing (at least it seems) is that there is a fine line between a club DJ or one that plays a variation of electronic dance music and .. well top 40?. Because of the differences in crowd/market. I supposed that I'll stick to my own crowd - but the same aspects apply that VjQue said in regards to organizing and knowing your music I agree.

Evolved
02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
as in playing what everybody likes.

Yeah agreed.

Evolved
02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Brian in his video might be geared to a lot of beginner DJ's as well. As far as doing 'more' when people throw out ideas like mixing tracks in a layered fashion and/or mixing without bass and such. These are things I love to do all the time. The question is does the crowd even know your doing it? To many they might think it is just a track being thrown off your CDJ. This is also why I thought about getting an EFX unit. They are 800 bucks - the one from Pioneer although a new one may be coming out soon since that one has been out for ages already.

de.j.l
02-20-2012, 08:34 AM
As a DJ you are there to please the crowd. If you aren't playing what people enjoy you aren't doing a good job at being a DJ, and if thats the case.
Stick to playing in your bedroom.
Im not saying don't overstep boundaries and push limits to what you play but if people are over all just not enjoying it, it means your track selection sucks and you can't read a crowd.

Evolved
02-20-2012, 08:43 AM
As a DJ you are there to please the crowd. If you aren't playing what people enjoy you aren't doing a good job at being a DJ, and if thats the case.
Stick to playing in your bedroom.
Im not saying don't overstep boundaries and push limits to what you play but if people are over all just not enjoying it, it means your track selection sucks and you can't read a crowd.

Yes but it depends on what kind of DJ you are and what crowd you are playing for. They have to match. Personally I don't always agree with this. I find EDM to be more flexible and allow it to span to most everyone. It actually allows me to play music that people would like as well as myself. IE: A Remix.

de.j.l
02-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Im talking about clubs, and raves. That still requires crowd reading and it is easy to kill your vibe while you're in the mix if you choose a track that doesn't fit what you're currently playing.

DJ Highline
02-20-2012, 09:03 AM
That video is just chocked full of goodness. He is absolutely right on everything that he has stated in that video. I might even start asking a few people what they want to hear. This will probably stave off a few random request.

I think you are interpreting this the wrong way. What he is saying about programming isn't that you should have a pre-programmed set but that your programming (the order in which you play music) should work for the crowd that you are playing to. You should be watching the crowd and see what they are reacting to and not reacting to and change your song selection accordingly.

Another statement Brian makes here is that you have to play music that people want to hear. Does everyone here agree with that?
I am not interested in weddings or sweet sixteen parties where top 40 would be most in style. I want to stick to the music I like and I guess the crowd that finds my music interesting. So maybe this message is not focused on someone like myself, I don't know. But part of being a DJ is being able to expose people to new music. The technology is in front of us to create amazing sound and not even have to know how to play an instrument. Though it might make a lot of actual musicians think we as DJ's are only "playback engineers" - I really don't care.

Ultimately I agree that a DJ needs to do more, but we are hounded these days by band members that say we are just playback engineers and not artists. I don't think a DJ ever claimed to be an 'artist' in that context anyway.

just my take on that.

The fact of the matter is that a DJ is there to play music that the crowd wants to hear...period. If the crowd doesn't want to hear what you are playing then they will leave and/or not come back and you will have an empty room. Now playing what the crowd wants to hear doesn't mean you have to play top 40 all night. Alot of places attract crowds that don't want to hear top 40 but you still have to play what that crowd wants to hear. It wouldn't make sense to play dubstep for a crowd that wanted to hear trance and it wouldn't make sense to play underground hip hop for a crowd that wanted to hear progressive house and it wouldn't make sense to play minimal tech for a crowd that wanted to hear top 40 would it? You have to play to the crowd that you have (or to the person that hired/paying you). Now if you are insistent on playing only music that you want to hear, then you had better find a crowd that wants to hear the music that you want to hear as well. If not you will have empty dancefloors and empty dancefloors gets you back in the bedroom and not in a good way.

See above statement. You are the DJ, you are supposed to know your crowd...especially if its a nightclub. Every week people come to that particular club to hear a particular style of music. Pay attention. Its called reading the crowd. Its called being a good DJ. Take request...when people come up and request a song, they are flat out telling you what they want to hear...don't blow that off. Not only pay attention to what song they want, what genre do they want and type of energy does that request have. That's how you know what songs people want. If you are working a mobile gig it is a little tougher to do, but the best thing to do is ask. Ask your client what type of music they want for their event. During dinner if you are not sure just mingle and ask...get on the mic and say "I'm DJ So & So and if you have any request let me know".

Playing your own tracks and new tracks is fine...but not at the expense of the overall party. What I like to do with new tracks is sandwich them between two similar and popular tracks. That way if it goes over well great...if it flopped then you are going back to something they know before you loose them.

He's a good guy with extremely valid points, and has a wealth of imformation. That being said, truly successful club jocks can make just as much if not more money than a mobile guy like him. Since that is a fact, I'd take his opinion on club stuff with a grain of salt seeing how he is primarily a mobile guy. That's where he makes his money, it's what he does, and is where he actively works and has current knowledge. Right or wrong, I think it's better to take club DJ advice from a successful club DJ. If I want photo advice for shooting sports, I sooner take it from someone who does it for a living over someone who just brings their camera to a game once in a while.

Having done both, I actually believe it is much more difficult to program for a mobile DJ than a nightclub. As a nightclub DJ, you should know what music is expected every night. As a mobile DJ, every gig the music taste of your crowd changes...why? because your crowd changes. One gig could be very heavy top 40 the next all disco and the next all 80s rock as a mobile guy you have to be prepared to do this. A club DJ could really show up with about 3-500 songs and be good for the entire night...So yea, when it comes to understanding how to play to a crowd, I would listen to a mobile guy more so than to a club guy. Not to say that a club guy doesn't have insight and valuable knowledge....

EDIT:
Additionally, I think it is good to sometimes just let go and see where the crowd takes you. Some of my most memorable and best nights are when I just let go and went with the crowd. Played stuff that I thought I would never play at a club and guess what...it worked. The crowd had a blast and I had a great time playing stuff that I normally wouldn't play. Then after that...I started incorporating that stuff into my everyday sets...and the crowd was happier....

Evolved
02-20-2012, 09:34 AM
That video is just chocked full of goodness. He is absolutely right on everything that he has stated in that video. I might even start asking a few people what they want to hear. This will probably stave off a few random request.

I think you are interpreting this the wrong way. What he is saying about programming isn't that you should have a pre-programmed set but that your programming (the order in which you play music) should work for the crowd that you are playing to. You should be watching the crowd and see what they are reacting to and not reacting to and change your song selection accordingly.

The fact of the matter is that a DJ is there to play music that the crowd wants to hear...period. If the crowd doesn't want to hear what you are playing then they will leave and/or not come back and you will have an empty room. Now playing what the crowd wants to hear doesn't mean you have to play top 40 all night. Alot of places attract crowds that don't want to hear top 40 but you still have to play what that crowd wants to hear. It wouldn't make sense to play dubstep for a crowd that wanted to hear trance and it wouldn't make sense to play underground hip hop for a crowd that wanted to hear progressive house and it wouldn't make sense to play minimal tech for a crowd that wanted to hear top 40 would it? You have to play to the crowd that you have (or to the person that hired/paying you). Now if you are insistent on playing only music that you want to hear, then you had better find a crowd that wants to hear the music that you want to hear as well. If not you will have empty dancefloors and empty dancefloors gets you back in the bedroom and not in a good way.

See above statement. You are the DJ, you are supposed to know your crowd...especially if its a nightclub. Every week people come to that particular club to hear a particular style of music. Pay attention. Its called reading the crowd. Its called being a good DJ. Take request...when people come up and request a song, they are flat out telling you what they want to hear...don't blow that off. Not only pay attention to what song they want, what genre do they want and type of energy does that request have. That's how you know what songs people want. If you are working a mobile gig it is a little tougher to do, but the best thing to do is ask. Ask your client what type of music they want for their event. During dinner if you are not sure just mingle and ask...get on the mic and say "I'm DJ So & So and if you have any request let me know".

Playing your own tracks and new tracks is fine...but not at the expense of the overall party. What I like to do with new tracks is sandwich them between two similar and popular tracks. That way if it goes over well great...if it flopped then you are going back to something they know before you loose them.

Having done both, I actually believe it is much more difficult to program for a mobile DJ than a nightclub. As a nightclub DJ, you should know what music is expected every night. As a mobile DJ, every gig the music taste of your crowd changes...why? because your crowd changes. One gig could be very heavy top 40 the next all disco and the next all 80s rock as a mobile guy you have to be prepared to do this. A club DJ could really show up with about 3-500 songs and be good for the entire night...So yea, when it comes to understanding how to play to a crowd, I would listen to a mobile guy more so than to a club guy. Not to say that a club guy doesn't have insight and valuable knowledge....

See. Yes. The word 'program' confused me when he said that in the video. Based on what I've learned. I think I know where I want to be. Doing more in my opinion references the technical aspects and creative mixing. I suppose the type of people that are open minded to a beat from a track they have never heard before versus a girl coming up to the booth and saying - "can you play some Tiesto please?" has my vote for the open minded crowd. Every track has a beat. My last gig I pretty much played what I wanted to hear and I had a full crowd. There were some tracks I played that got some people stepping out but that help me understand what they wanted to hear. Ultimately all the music played however was music I 'wanted to play'. To me that was a success and I enjoyed watching people at the booth watching me mix at the booth hand clapping to the beats. That is where I want to be.

DJ Highline
02-20-2012, 09:42 AM
See. Yes. The word 'program' confused me when he said that in the video. Based on what I've learned. I think I know where I want to be. Doing more in my opinion references the technical aspects and creative mixing. I suppose the type of people that are open minded to a beat from a track they have never heard before versus a girl coming up to the booth and saying - "can you play some Tiesto please?" has my vote for the open minded crowd. Every track has a beat. My last gig I pretty much played what I wanted to hear and I had a full crowd. There were some tracks I played that got some people stepping out but that help me understand what they wanted to hear. Ultimately all the music played however was music I 'wanted to play'. To me that was a success and I enjoyed watching people at the booth watching me mix at the booth hand clapping to the beats. That is where I want to be.

Congrats on the successful gig. I think that's where every DJ wants to be. To play the music that they love to a crowd that loves it too. But that will not always happen and at some point you will have to choose - Do I play what I want or do I play what the crowd wants? That is a decision that only you can make at that point. But at least now, it will be a conscious decision.

Ignotus
02-21-2012, 02:15 AM

then start producing and/or make a name for yourself, and get booked for your name, not for being a DJ...

when at a club, in my opinion, its a delicate balance between what you like, and what they want... after all you are the one controlling how much they drink/spend at their night there for the most part, if you cant get all the girls to dance, then guys wont buy them drinks.

DJ Matt
02-21-2012, 06:45 AM
See - I did this at one of my first gigs and later wasn't glad I did - even though just a couple that I gave in to - liked it. I had fun but it also made me realize I didn't want to do this in the future and please the masses.

I think you misunderstood me there
I wasn't suggesting you go against your instincts

Of course the best person to represent a musical genre is someone who likes and understands that genre

But flexibility is a good thing & the music is not just for the dj
It's for the paying customers

For example there are some songs that chicks love but don't do much for me

Austin GoGreen
02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
More..... Here's my take on what's "more"

The ability to read a crowd is probably one of the most important parts of being a good dj. I'm talking about DJing, not producing where people are going to hear you. I'm talking about regular djing, playing for a crowd so they can enjoy themselves.

Listen to your crowd, play sets and find your direction by watching the crowd reaction. It's really not that hard to do.

By playing sets I mean that you should play songs that flow together, NOT just mixing random beats as Redd suggests. Do "more" by arranging sets that flow, that are in key, have the same feel, and that build energy.

Quick mixing can be great when done properly. Dropping banger after banger after banger will also wear a crowd out so you have to know when to slow it down and let a track play out. Then do it again. And again. And again.

Every night is different.

Mcing is a great tool. Ask the crowd if they want to hear some hip hop? Ask who get's high, who likes to smoke weed and drop a weed/get high set. Ask if they came to get f'd up? Then bang it out with a great set you have prep'd or continue to read the crowd and play what they want.

Scratch. Very effective tool. Some guys go overboard and lose the crowd. It's hard not to scratch when you know how but you have to do it properly when playing out.

Interact with the crowd. Use hype tools. Get them to get their hands up, scream out, clap high.. You can do this with song or with your body language or MCing.

At the end of the night, people just want to have fun. If you're aspiring to play in big clubs, make sure you're ready before you EVER play out.

Finnish_Fox
02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
there probably isn't an aspiring gig DJ or hobbyist that doesn't want to do more than just mix beats! How much fun is that, right?

A ton.

Evolved
02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
A ton.

Yeah I'd have to agree with you there.

Finnish_Fox
02-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah I'd have to agree with you there.

I got into DJing years and years and years ago SPECIFICALLY to mix beats. Haha.