PDA

View Full Version : Scratching in key

drop1
12-03-2012, 07:23 AM
I'll start off by admitting its been at least 10 years since i've done any serious scratching at all so I not up on any of the technical terms.
Do any of you guys actually try to stay in key when you scratch?
Obviously Im not talking talking so much about noise based samples like the famous "ahh" and "fresh" samples that most battle records are loaded up with.
Im talking more about vocals or clips of synth lines and things of that nature. Personally this was a.huge deal to me and something I put a lot of focus on. Also I have noticed through the years lots of other dj's do it whether intentional or not but I have never heard anyone actually talk about it.

rubbar
12-03-2012, 10:12 AM
That act of scratching is a pitch adjustment and will therefore change the key of any sample, and scratching with a key lock is shit because it sounds like distorted and stretched audio (which it is).

I've never heard anyone talk about it, but I'm sure most scratch DJs to try to scratch to the key of the song (intentionally or not). It's pretty obvious when the keys clash.

Sigma
12-03-2012, 10:45 AM
It's something scratch DJs do automatically these days now that turntables can be an integral part of a band, as it's part of musicianship.

For example: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTo2mzCsCRA