PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - Population One Two Sides to Every Story - Track skips half a beat??

Mahatma Coat
12-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Ok, I've got a weird one here.

I'm mixing this track on vinyl and toward the end I get what appears to be a needle skip, totally knocks the blend out of sync, so I take the record off the platter to look for scratches, there are none. I give it another couple of tries and it seems like the needle is still skipping on this one particular point. Then I decide to just listen to the record alone and find that there is a tiny break in the track where the kicks drop out and come back in again a second later, only it seems like when the kicks come back in, they're half a beat behind/ahead of where they were screwing up any beat match/blending that was going on...

Following the break the track seems to speed up 1 or 2 BPM, which means you have to nudge the second record up to speed once you've sorted out the built-in train wreck. I know this because I've set this record up several times now, beatmatched another record into it and left the spinning together for several minutes, only once the break happens you have to keep nudging the second record up in tempo to keep it in time, its only this tune so I know its not my decks.

I thought maybe some of you guys might have this track and already know about this, or could at least listen to the track and confirm what I'm thinking?

Am I going mad, or has Terrence Dixon purposefully made a track to fuck DJs up?

In the below Youtube video the break I'm on about is at 3:58

i-8hpnWojrM

Mahatma Coat
12-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I've been talking to my friends about this, and apparently the issue is polyrhythms.

I'm going to check them out on Youtube etc. but if anyone has any advice/tips on how they deal with polyrythms in the mix, then I'd be interested to hear it.

propertrax
12-12-2012, 10:11 PM
just sounds like he's fucking with everyone right there honestly.

i dont see how polyrhythms would make any difference to how he just stops thing. the kick and hats are 4/4. he just pulls everything abruptly and restarts it. Could just be a raw loop track and its more of an artifact of the sessions without post-editing...

polyrhythms would do more to just create a general unease and "untimeliness" to mixing it with more conventional stuff...

Mahatma Coat
12-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Hey Will, how's it going?

Cheers for the reply, thought you might know something about this to be honest.

Do you reckon he's just stopping the track and restarting it with the kick in a different place?

I'm also certain the track speeds up and slows down at different points.

I reckon to mix it in you have to just cut it in and out at pretty much specific points, fade ins & outs just end up in spectacular train wrecks.