PDA

View Full Version : Recording onto a Macbook Pro

chipshuffler
12-02-2012, 08:39 PM
So i have those red/white cables that you insert into the back of the mixer, but on my old laptop i had a blue sound input which i would insert the other end of the cable into. Now, however, the Mac doesnt have this sound input and only has an input for headphones which doesnt seem to work properly when i put the cables in.

So basically im wondering if anyone knows how to record mixes with a Macbook Pro (Preferably onto Audacity as this is what i have previously used). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sigma
12-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Go into the main control panel (or whatever it's called on OS X) and click on Sound, then you'll see an option called "Use audio port for:". Change that from "Sound output" to "Sound input". I'm not sure if that makes it a line in input or a mic input, but someone here will know.

LiquidFusion
12-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Damn I can't remember for the life of me how I recorded through Audacity. If I can remember I'll edit this and let you know.

Andrew B
12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
What year is it? 13" or 15"? Depending on the year and/or model, it should automatically adjust to a line input just by plugging in.

Rass
12-04-2012, 07:59 PM
I've got a newer 13" and my macbook pro does not automatically detect this, but like sigma said, go into :

System Preferences -> Sound -> Use Audio port for : Audio Input. This turns your Headphone jack into a Line in.

Andrew B
12-04-2012, 08:44 PM
It seems as if the latest 13" ones don't even have a line-in anymore. WTF