PDA

View Full Version : Transferring files

Dix
12-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I just bought an external HD for back up last weekend. I backed up all my music.
Today, I'm buying some new music for a birthday party next weekend as well as some other music. I bought about 50 songs. I have all of my music arranged by artist folders.

So, I get all this music. I am ready to back up my files. Here is my question. I am using Windows 7. I chose my folder, "General Music" (with all my files) copied & pasted to the destination drive with my other exact "General Music" folder in it.

Keep in mind this Toshiba has 2.0 USB ports so transfer time is a bit slower. However, its copying ALL the files. It should be just copying NEW files. I don't know how to just transfer the new files without going to each folder with a new song & individually transferring each file. How can I choose the old folder & transfer only the new files. Its taking over three hours to copy all the files to the other drive. If I could just copy the 50 new files, it shouldn't take but 2 minutes.

Again, Windows 7.

Anyone offer any help?

Phil Noize
12-03-2012, 04:35 AM
It sounds like you need to sync the folders. Microsoft do a free tool for this ... Sync Toy ...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Dix
12-03-2012, 04:53 AM

bumpyjonas
12-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Nice tip and resource..