PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide to scratching?

whiterob
11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I am the idiot. :cry: Can someone teach me?

In all honesty, I have been DJ'ing for quite some time now. Never learned the art of the scratch. It is something I would love to learn. I don't have vinyl, but rather cdj-2000's so won't get the full on scratching I know. But I hardly even understand the concept of it. No matter what I do, it just sounds stupid. Can anyone experienced point me in the right direction, whether it be youtube videos or anything?!? I don't want to be a professional turntablist, but just want to be able to occasionally throw in that extra bit of flavor with some light scratching.

Thanks

Sigma
11-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Try reading my beginner guide: -

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?5240-Sigma-s-beginner-guide-to-scratching-(repost)

Unfortunately, the audio samples were lost when the site went down, but I have listed most of the basic scratches that DJs should start with, so you can search on YouTube for their names and you'll find video tutorials as well.

It's important to grasp the basic concepts and understand what you're trying to achieve with the simple scratches, otherwise you end up just moving the platter/fader around at random and you'll never get anywhere. You'll soon pick it up though! Also, for the DJ that just wants to learn some scratching to complement their mixing, the basics are all you really need. A lot of it is about cleanliness and style rather than complexity of technique, unless you're really getting into hardcore scratching and obviously then some of it does get quite complicated (and a lot of it is beyond me to be honest).

Rothgery
11-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Not sure what you are asking.... you pretty much pointed yourself in the right direction in your OP - search youtube :shrug:

Are you asking someone to take the time, look up a bunch of vids and post them here for you - so you dont have to do it yourself. Maybe I am misunderstanding something

Sigma
11-30-2012, 04:07 PM
To be fair, knowing the names of the scratches does help with finding tutorials, cos then you can find individual ones that focus on that particular technique, which is very helpful when you're just starting out.

Lowercase
11-30-2012, 04:34 PM
dj angelo vids on you tube seem to be a good go-to source.

he breaks things down very well. http://www.youtube.com/user/DJAngeloUK

Haddock
12-01-2012, 08:45 PM
As does Alex Sonnenfeld: http://www.youtube.com/user/tonspielzeug

I would start with the Angelo tutorials before going onto Sonnenfeld's, however. Sonnenfeld teaches more advanced patterns. He assumes you already know the basics.

TheRabbitMonk
12-02-2012, 05:28 AM
sonnerfields video is ace..

DjDisArm
12-02-2012, 12:01 PM
practice, A LOT

whiterob
12-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice. To answer the snarky comment of having someone else just look the stuff up for me. Yes and No. I have watched some videos on youtube (can't remember the DJ's name), but then heard from a local guy who has scratch abilities that the videos I was watching give a completely wrong technique. (or something)

Sigma +rep for the guide. It was exactly what I was looking for, but didn't come up in my searches. Also + rep for the others recommending videos to watch.

Yes I know it takes practice, but I seriously needed some direction of what to practice.(of which Sigma cleared up for me)

And yes I just want the very basics to add a little dimension to some of my mixes.

Thanks

Haddock
12-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't put too much merit into what others tell you about your technique. Scratching has been around for awhile, and really any scratch or pattern came from one individual with one technique to create one unique sound. I can't tell you how many scratches I thought I knew the names of, but others called them different. There are so many styles and variations out there that as long as you make a sound that is on beat and grooves to the music, who cares what it is called, or what pattern it is?

I was told by another DJ that my two click flares were wrong. Same day another DJ tells me he thinks they are spot on. Who knows? They sound good, regardless.

I am not saying to just go at it without thinking, however. It is always more beneficial to know exactly what your doing with both your record and fader hand, then let it sink into muscle memory.